What's new
I think that all that PCB is doing is:

RGBS to s-video / composite video conversion

Rapid fire

Sync deflection for horizontal adjustment

It seems to be just passing RGBS, untouched, straight from the jamma edge to the 8 DIN connector. This is perhaps why they have the statement that it's designed for professional monitors and not household televisions. This is really BAD for people hooking these things up to consumer televisions.
LOL yep....

I'm drawing it up now but basically the RGB from the JAMMA edge goes to the din connector then to that encoder. So it's literally doing nothing but adding a pot to do horizontal adjustment.

Hmm, that might make things more difficult. We need to grab RGBS before it hits the DIN, connect it to our replacment PCB, process it and then feed it to the DIN.

As far as I can see the only way this will be possible is with cutting the wires going to the DIN and routing both ends to a replacement PCB. Doesn't make it impossible but means hacking up an expensive piece of equipment. I'd rather a drop in replacement PCB.

Hmm, that might make things more difficult. We need to grab RGBS before it hits the DIN, connect it to our replacment PCB, process it and then feed it to the DIN.

As far as I can see the only way this will be possible is with cutting the wires going to the DIN and routing both ends to a replacement PCB. Doesn't make it impossible but means hacking up an expensive piece of equipment. I'd rather a drop in replacement PCB.
Re-wiring stuff is part and parcel of owning this kind of stuff and the only other option is leaving it original and non-functional. I bought it to use it and I want it to put out nice RGB so I'll do what I gotta do.

Here are some pics of the board: https://imgur.com/a/qJjIQYR

Attached is a PDF of some info I gathered for you :)

Attachments

• Boardmaster.pdf
    368.9 KB · Views: 322
I guess another approach to keep it original might be to build something external or into the SCART cable?

That's not a bad idea, going external.

What type of DIN is it? Neo-Geo style?

That's perfect, I can work with that. I have all those connectors on hand too. :)

Same wiring as Neo-Geo too. This will be easy.

Sure can. :)
Thanks for that heads up, saved me some money next order!

What other RGB cables are interchangeable between consoles I wonder? I wish there was a list or chart out there to save doubling up...

I feel that the RGC cable prices are wild now, can someone recommend a good alternative source for cables?

@djsheep I opened up my Vega 9000 that looks better than the Boardmaster and literally the only difference is that internally it has 100 ohm resistors on the RGB lines.

Not too many compatiblities with scart cables unfortunately.

Master System I, Mega Drive I

Mega Drive II, 32X

Pending a few factors, you can usually interchange between Snes, N64, Game Cube.

Probably a few more I can't think of.

Own one, but it’s up for sale. The only thing good going for it is the way it looks and how clean it’s built. The video (RGB, Composite, S-Video) and audio output on it is truly atrocious compared to the Sentinel or a real cab. A costly purchase early into the hobby and have regretted it since. Any takers? Lol.
I put some 500ohm pots onto the RGB lines of my JAMMA harness and it's a huge improvement for me. Looks fine on my CRT now, have them set at 150ohms.

IMG_20181119_221616.jpg

Own one, but it’s up for sale. The only thing good going for it is the way it looks and how clean it’s built. The video (RGB, Composite, S-Video) and audio output on it is truly atrocious compared to the Sentinel or a real cab. A costly purchase early into the hobby and have regretted it since. Any takers? Lol.
I put some 500ohm pots onto the RGB lines of my JAMMA harness and it's a huge improvement for me. Looks fine on my CRT now, have them set at 150ohms.
IMG_20181119_221616.jpg
I'm going to have to try that. I'm going into a PVM with the RGB cable though.

Also tried the RGB cable from the Boardmaster on the Neo Geo, it made a really loud screeching sound and the picture was way outta sync so I hit the kill switch. Have you by chance opened up your RGB cable and is there anything funny in there compared to a Neo Geo one?

I put some 500ohm pots onto the RGB lines of my JAMMA harness and it's a huge improvement for me. Looks fine on my CRT now, have them set at 150ohms.IMG_20181119_221616.jpg
I'm going to have to try that. I'm going into a PVM with the RGB cable though.
Also tried the RGB cable from the Boardmaster on the Neo Geo, it made a really loud screeching sound and the picture was way outta sync so I hit the kill switch. Have you by chance opened up your RGB cable and is there anything funny in there compared to a Neo Geo one?
I'm going via a scart cable to a PVM too. There's no components in my scart cable. I know because I rewired the one it came with from jp21 to euroscart.

Must be the UK RetroGamingCables custom PCB doing something then... I have their Neo Geo CD cable and that works just fine on my AES, but the Boardmaster one was scary. I'll crack it open tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Good work on the pots on the RGB line, is the picture more stable? I felt the output from the Boardmaster was kinda blocky and harsh... it's been a while since I plugged it in. I do remember the S-Video being pretty decent though?

Must be the UK RetroGamingCables custom PCB doing something then... I have their Neo Geo CD cable and that works just fine on my AES, but the Boardmaster one was scary. I'll crack it open tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Good work on the pots on the RGB line, is the picture more stable? I felt the output from the Boardmaster was kinda blocky and harsh... it's been a while since I plugged it in. I do remember the S-Video being pretty decent though?
Sounds like you have something else going on for sure. I never had any issues with the image being bad or unstable, it was just too bright. Can't blame the encoder in the Boardmaster though because it doesn't do anything to the RGB. I'm not sure about s-video as I haven't tried it yet.

The cable works fine on the Boardmaster. I was trying to use it on a Neo Geo as it’s the same pinout, so assuming something is wired funny in the RetroGamingCables one.

I've put in about 10-15 hours now playing CPS2 on this supergun with those pots on the RGB lines on my PVM and its perfect to my eyes. Pots are set at 160ohms.

Maybe I'll gut the whole thing and install a Sentinel inside in future but pretty happy with how it performs now.

Back