What's new

8bitforlife

Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I heard Sony trinitron are easy to convert to arcade use. My monitor is an Kv-27fs200. How hard is it to convert and any idea what candy cab it would work in.

wish I had more technical know how a lot of that is over my head

Well, it can be, you should get someone local to do this mod for you that has some experience/knowledge. You could get a tv repair shop to do it.
There has to be a few guys in your area that can do it for you.

small island no more crt guys on this island that's my delima. If it was the big island or Oahu that be different story.

You're probably better off pinching just the tube from a suitable TV, not a Sony as they have non-standard yoke, and pairing it with a suitable arcade chassis.

Get a tube of the correct size and with the right number of neck pins to suit your chassis and you're set. A grade tube (arcade monitors generally used cheaper B grade tubes) running off a proper arcade chassis, designed to handle the high voltage video output and with suitable adjustment pots.

Jomac, arcade monitor repairer in Australia, used to sell a universal chassis designed to be paired with a TV tube. He would match the impedance of your tube to the chassis and away you go. Unfortunately they're no longer available but it's still possible to match a TV tube to an arcade chassis with required adjistments to the chassis.

I went to yelp. There is one potential business I called and left message as they only open Monday till Thursday.

Looked that up but its not really what I want to do.

Last edited:
believe it or not one of the guys who helped make the mux was helping me figure out how to do mine we were selecting resistors then we just on decided to use a jrok since my tv has component.

Now my only issue is a ether leave the tv power cable string it through cab or cut the cable and try to convert it to jp power supply that's in blast which I can't find any info on.

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

Last edited:
I don't think you should do any mods to that tv. It's one of the newer Trinitron models with component video ports right?

To use that TV with a Supergun for arcade PCBs or a pc with Groovymame, you just need an RGB to component video transcoder. They are not expensive. The scart to component transcoders on eBay sell for as little as $50, or, you could buy a JROK which does the same thing from a 15 pin dsub (vga style) cable.

There is very little perceivable different between RGB and component video on a consumer TV. Those RGB mods are really meant for older TVs didn't have either RGB or component.

Some of those mods are nice but many of them sacrafice the on screen menu and those Sony TVs rely on that OSD for service menu adjustments. It is an absolute requirement that you be able to adjust image size and position for old arcade gaming...

it was going in a candy cab and there is a mod to keep osd or just use a jrok and no need to mod it for cabinet

it was going in a candy cab and there is a mod to keep osd or just use a jrok and no need to mod it for cabinet
I saw a few that didn't use the OSD for the mod but most did and keeping the OSD was achieved by installing a switch to let to toggle between the OSD and the RGB signal. That doesn't help much though because you really need to be able to adjust the image while the image is displayed. As far as I know, that is not possible if you use the OSD input for RGB.

If you didn't have component, it might be worth the sacrafice and effort but if it were me, I'd use component.

there is a mod that lets you keep both without switch but depends on tv.

there is a mod that lets you keep both without switch but depends on tv.
which one are you referring to?

The mod I saw that didn't use the OSD had the rgb lines connected directly to the neck board like they are on some CRT PC monitors. So it kept the OSD because it didn't use the OSD jungle.

For mods that feed rgb into the connectors used for the OSD, I can't see how it would be possible to display both the OSD and rgb at the same time. That doesn't mean it is not possible. I'm no expert on projects like this. It could only add to the project difficulty though.

Back