What's new
Hi guys!

Just a quick WIP post... I have been working on this but real life got in the way so it's taking a wee little longer than expected.

Official status report:

Measurements : 100%
I needed to take some measurements in terms of pin spacing and connector design from the actual hardware so it would fit properly. This is done!

Parts footprints : 60%
Started doing the component footprints I'll use for the PCB components -- the socket and the fold fingers. I use KiCad and, obviously, these have to be built mostly from scratch as they're not part of the available component libraries. This isn't hard,but it's quite time consuming. Socket is mostly done, gold fingers will be next.

PCB design and routing: 0%
I have the measurements I need, but haven't started this yet.

I'll keep everyone posted as I go along, hope I'll have some nice 3D renders soon!

Hello everyone!

Yes, I'm alive and this *will* happen. I've been ridiculously busy with real life in the last few months and had to take some time off from this project as I just didn't have the time work on it. I can't give anyone a firm date for the first prototype but rest assured that when it's working you'll know.

Thanks for your continued interest it really matters to me!

Seems like this would only be a stone's throw away from beign a perpendicular riser for CPS3 as well.

Seems like this would only be a stone's throw away from beign a perpendicular riser for CPS3 as well.
I honestly don't see the need in one for CPS3, the carts are so short you're barely going to save much height, espeically if it's designed to work around the plastic capsule on the PCB, and they're flaky enough as it is, do you really want to add ANOTHER potential point of failure?

At least with STV the cart height makes storing the PCB and fitting the PCB into some cabs difficult so there's a good case for it.

Progress, at last!
KiCAD New riser STV.png

Progress, at last!
If you are starting a list, put me on it. I need this. I hope you could build in a feature that will prevent the game from sagging.
Like a cartridge brace similar to Neo Geo/IGS.

I'm definitely interested in having one of these, I looked into designing my own but couldn't for the life of me source a suitable connector.

Progress, at last!
If you are starting a list, put me on it. I need this. I hope you could build in a feature that will prevent the game from sagging. Like a cartridge brace similar to Neo Geo/IGS.
If you look closely, there's 4 holes in the corners that I left as anchor points. The idea is to use them to fix the adapter to the board with a system similar to the original cart holder. I will add a simple truss or buttress attached there to ensure the carts or bare PCBs don't sag.

I'm basically at the panelization stage of the design and once I finish that I will order some test PCBs and check that everything works as expected.

The adapter is tiny and will fit flush or close to it to the original one while leaving just enough space for an original cart. AND it will face up, because I didn't like the idea of having them flat on their faces looking dumb.

Ordering is not yet open because I haven't defined the final price point yet. The boards have 4 layers which allowed me to use the tightest trace spacing I could get so I could make the adapter as small as possible. Connectors are expensive, period. The idea is to assemble and test them myself, i.e., just plug&play for you guys, and I will have to factor that, plus the holding bracket thingies... So it won't be super cheap.

I want this project to be a starting point for more ambitious ones in the future so I will do my best to finish it.

Thanks for all the interest, it means a lot to me.

This is going to solve a huge issue for me, so as long as the cost isn't crazy (and I can't imagine it will be), I'm still in!!

Just a quick update!

Gerbers have been sent to fab and the test board(s) should arrive in a week or two.
Once they arrive I will test them on my STV boards with a few different games to check if everything is working fine.
I will also assess how mechanically sound it is in practice. This will then inform the second part of the project, the support mechanism for carts and bare boards. That's fancy talk for a 3D printed holder thingy.

Fingers crossed everyone!

Back