What's new
I'm thinking of both connectors too. Additional strain & weight will be placed on the STV MB connector alongside the connector of the adapter PCB.

It comes to mind as I recall this being an issue with that MVS AES adapter that mounted horizontally. Mind you, that's a much bigger and weightier cart.

I'm thinking of both connectors too. Additional strain & weight will be placed on the STV MB connector alongside the connector of the adapter PCB.
rest assured that once I get my hands on this adapter I'll be looking into designing a 3D printed support
We probably need two versions. One for stock cartridges. One for the naked multi PCB.

^ I have one and can co-sign on the quality.

That looks great. I bought a 3d printed case for mine. But it doesn't have the cutouts for the game select header and reset wire. So I didn't use it.
where did you buy it? I wasn't aware anyone else had designed a case, though they could have been using one of my early designs as I did release a version without the cutouts.

So, does the game cart ultimately rest on top of the STV PCB? What I'm trying to ascertain is will the cart be adequately supported if it's hanging in free air, the weight of the cart won't put stress on the connector(s)?
It doesn't rest on top of the board, there's a bit of a gap. The connector has two screw holes on each side so adequate support can be added as needed. I did a post about that some time ago. Stress on the connector is relatively low, but it's best to add support.

@twistedsymphony, I will send you some measurements and a quick sketch of what I think is a good solution for support, both for normal carts and the multi. I didn't forget about your initial support and I think this is a cool way for us to work together.

That looks great. I bought a 3d printed case for mine. But it doesn't have the cutouts for the game select header and reset wire. So I didn't use it.
where did you buy it? I wasn't aware anyone else had designed a case, though they could have been using one of my early designs as I did release a version without the cutouts.
@twistedsymphony I got my ST-V multi case from https://highscoresave.com/ last year. it was an optional add on when ordering the base multi.

And here is a picture of the shell in question. . . stv shell.jpg

@ic3b4ll Awesome stuff. As it was mentioned before, it would be awesome to have a very slim version for naked carts (Darksoft Multi), so things can fix under the plexiglass.

@ic3b4ll Awesome stuff. As it was mentioned before, it would be awesome to have a very slim version for naked carts (Darksoft Multi), so things can fix under the plexiglass.
It's pretty much as small as it gets given the routing constraints, I'm using 5mil traces...

Having the multi facing down would not be wise regarding heat dissipation. Basically a chip sandwich between copper planes.

I could conceivably use all 4 layers for routing but then I would have to redo the via placement and match trace impedance, and have to take care of inter track noise and so on. Too much work at this point.

Right now it's about as tall as a cartridge on its side, so it's quite reasonable.

Back