What's new

tsunami

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a sega hikaru system (with Star wars racer game).
I'm pretty new with this system and i know that this is a fragile system.
The game start well but the picture is not great. For now it's just connected to a PC monitor with the vga cable.
I have tried with 2 vga cables, same picture. I will try a another tomorrow.

Do you know what's the video problem ?
Pictures in attachments.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 311
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 340
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 304
Yes got a Bad ram on IC44 IC458 IC46 IC478.
Didn't know this could result to a video problem.

Can this ram be replaced easily ? (I'm afraid this is not)

Attachments

• ramtest.jpg
    ramtest.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 257
Can this ram be replaced easily ?
For an skilled technician, yes :)

If you know someone close to you that can do good solder work go for it. IMO It doesnt matter if he's done it before on HIKARU, the important is that he can solder well.

I'd have to check because some ram on the hikaru is BGA ram.

4 bad rams?
more likely a related buffer or something - a bit unlikely that a whole group of related ram chips failed together.
another option is a single bad ram messing with a shared line - scope time!

have you seen RAM TEST screen photo ? there is no per-chip test, but single good/bad test result for group of ICs.
its possible there is bad only one RAM IC, or few, or buffer IC, or GPU chip.

Hi,

I found where the ram chips are located.
As you can see on the first picture in attachments, IC44 and IC46 are on the front side. And IC45S and IC47S are on the same place in the other side of the board.

As you say i don't think all the 4 chips got a problem but i will change one chip after one and if i am lucky only one replacement will be enough :)

The chip reference is HY57V161610D TC-8 - 0023A by Hyundai.
After rapid search on internet i don't found where to buy chips with the exact reference. HY57V161610D TC-8 is OK but not 0023A. Is 0023A important ?

I got a another Sega Hikaru board with a another game (Nascar) but there is 3 BGA Chips that are not on the main board :(
I take some pics of the board and chips, do yo think this board can be repaired ?

Thanks for your help !
Seb

Attachments

• board_IC.png
    board_IC.png
    830.2 KB · Views: 283
  • image1-min.jpeg
    image1-min.jpeg
    763.3 KB · Views: 300
  • image3-min.jpeg
    image3-min.jpeg
    679.8 KB · Views: 340
  • image4-min.jpeg
    image4-min.jpeg
    770.1 KB · Views: 305
  • image2-min.jpeg
    image2-min.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 331
Hi,

I recently bought a sega hikaru system (with Star wars racer game).
I'm pretty new with this system and i know that this is a fragile system.
The game start well but the picture is not great. For now it's just connected to a PC monitor with the vga cable.
I have tried with 2 vga cables, same picture. I will try a another tomorrow.

Do you know what's the video problem ?
Pictures in attachments.

Thanks for your help.
Hello I’m having the same issues with my racer were you able to find the problem?

Hello I’m having the same issues with my racer were you able to find the problem?

Run the board's diagnostic checks and see if one of the ROMs or RAM chips flags bad. A bad RAM chip was flagged as the issue with OP's board.

Unfortunately very rarely are the RAM bad on a Hikaru. They use top quality stuff on those. Hell, Ken takes ram off of it to replace Naomi 2/Naomi 1 ram cause it's so good. 99% of the time if it looks like that, it's a BGA issue and the ram is just coming up bad because of the BGA.

if it looks like that, it's a BGA issue and the ram is just coming up bad because of the BGA.

That's what happens 99% of the times with the Hikarus. The BGA chips were not tinned properly and it's a common defect on those units.

Talk to Ken from @irepairsega, he's a great guy and I'm sure he can help.

Damn. I guess you can to your usual place where they rework graphic cards. It's the same issue with those.

Back