What's new
I am trying to help a friend out and I took his multi board to do the firmware update on it. It was one of the original launch multis. I did the discovery programming and it went fine, it said it programmed it. I then loaded the new firmware and it took it fine I believe. The file is now gone from the root. However, now when I try to write a new game it just crashes? The screen on the arcade machine goes to a scrolling pattern. The screen on the multi no longer responds to key presses. It doesn't ever say Flash Writing and show the *** progress. On boot up it does say programming key though, so I am reasonably sure the firmware is updated.

I was able to use another multi to verify the sd card is working as intended. I also experimented with setting the NOW_PLAY and NOW_KEY files with the second multi. When I use any decrypted rom I can boot the multi to a phoenix rom that was already loaded onto it. I guess the problem is that it can't write a new rom to itself?

Did you install the key writing wires?

Did you install the key writing wires?
I did indeed. It was a -3 motherboard so I had to use CN2 A29-32. This multi is one that used to have the reset on SWD5 but now it's on SWD7. Would it go through to Flash Writing regardless of key wire installation? Or could that cause the hang?

Did you install the key writing wires before or after you flashed the firmware?

To be honest I did it both ways. I installed the new firmware and then I installed the key writing wires. It had the behavior where it crashes after selecting a game, that's when I decided to try a different card. That didn't do anything different so I tried flashing the firmware again. I removed the key writing wires from the B board side and flashed the firmware again. It loaded it up and erased the file as I expected. I reconnected the key writing wires and it's the same behavior. It never gets passed selecting a game.

I am considering starting over from the bootloader discovery? But I am not sure if that is wasted effort? I'm not sure that the bootloader or firmware are corrupted.

I haven't actually had to update the bootloader on one of these before. I'm not sure if the behaviour you're describing is what happens with a corrupted bootloader or not.

I have run into a kit with a very similar issue where the key writing wire pads were bridged with other components. Can you take some photos?

Ok folks I've been messing with this CPS2 Multi-Kit for a few days and I'm getting nowhere fast. I just get a GREEN screen, then goes black during key writing and comes back to GREEN after the LCD display says "Have Fun!". Original board was a US SFA2 PCB(Rev 6 with D PAL). I installed a G PAL I bought with the kit and I'm using the Key writing quick Solder PCB.

Here's what I've tried so far:

3 different MicroSD cards, all formatted in FAT32, 2 of them are 2GB and one 4GB Sandisk
Both Encrypted and Decrypted roms from current and OLD rollup packs
Verified continuity on jumpers
Shorting out EXC5

I can upload pics if you folks feel it'll help troubleshooting.

Here are some, let me know if you need more
20200115_184054.jpg
20200115_184121.jpg
20200115_184146.jpg

Attachments

• 20200115_184107.jpg
    20200115_184107.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200115_184130.jpg
    20200115_184130.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200115_184200.jpg
    20200115_184200.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Ok, what would you like me to take photos of?
Key writing wires are the most likely issue, or a bridge in that area between one of the pads and a nearby component. You removed the battery as well?

Battery has been removed, but I clipped it instead of de soldering it. Not sure if that's going to make a difference. I've added pics to previous post. As I stated I've tried both encrypted and decrypted roms. Should I disconnect cable to CN9 to see if descrypted works? Is there a DISCORD server with you guys? I don't want to spam this thread with just my issue, so I'm willing to go into a live chat with someone if that's better.

Last edited:
Can you take better photos of the QSB? That looks to me to be the issue.

I haven't installed one of these so what look like several problems to me are probably not actually incorrect.

Paging @Arthrimus

ok guys great news! I disconnected the CN9 cable and I got it "semi" working. I have a corrupt image(looks weird) and weird sound that sounds like Gremlins singing! oddly enough the character voices are clear. I'm wondering if messing with the jumpers is causing these issues as the pc only had 4 correct so I shorted 10 more. Here's a few photos to show you what I mean.
20200115_193026_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200115_193046_HDR.jpg
    20200115_193046_HDR.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I believe that decrypted ROMs should boot regardless of whether the key writing wires are connected. Disconnect the cable and try decrypted ROMs for good measure.

Also the soldering on the right hand VIA of the QSB looks like it could potentially be a cold joint. I'd also like to see picture of the bottom side of the multi where the QSB is soldered to the header. There could be something shorted under there.

The jumpers are definitely an issue. I can see one with a blob of solder and next one you can still see the continuity line.

Also in one of the pictures, looks like in the main PCB of the kit, some pins done really get all inside the Eproms sockets and that could be another issue.

Please double check that and get back to us.

Thanks!

Well we got the points redone on the QSB and everything now works perfectly. One last question, I have the Roll Up pack and was wondering if there's a list for other ROMs that would work since I have plenty of space on the SD card.

coming back around to this.
Went back and reseated everything, still no change.
No key writing wires, trying to run mvc unlocked and I just get a red or blue screen depending on which of my A boards my using.

Pics-
http://imgur.com/a/Ek1VWqQ

Hey @Darksoft and all, I just got my CPS2 multi kit, very excited! Everything is working very well except that I am unable to close the lid with the LCD selector cable plugged in. Only can close it if it is disconnected, which is not very useful. I just got it of the latest 2020 batch from High Score Saves? Maybe the supplied cable is different height? It definitely hits against the top of the case

Hey @Darksoft and all, I just got my CPS2 multi kit, very excited! Everything is working very well except that I am unable to close the lid with the LCD selector cable plugged in. Only can close it if it is disconnected, which is not very useful. I just got it of the latest 2020 batch from High Score Saves? Maybe the supplied cable is different height? It definitely hits against the top of the case
Fold the cable over to the opposite side of the connector and also make sure you've completely removed the post in that area :)

okay, I've got a new CPS2 multi kit, this time for me.
Running on a revision 4 board with a G Pal, patch wire running underneath the board per the setup video Mitsu posted.
No key writing wires have been soldered yet.
However, I'm getting garbled graphics and sound regardless of what game I try to run, encrypted or not.
Pictured is the opening of MVC Unlocked.
I've also run the test roms with no issue, aside from the screen afterwards just being blocks
I've tested on 2 different A boards with no change and reseated everything 3X.
Any clues what the issue could be?

pics-
https://imgur.com/a/mJIKfGR

Back