What's new
I'm having garbled sound and I'm not sure where to go to troubleshoot. Roms seem to load correctly and gameplay is fine aside from the sound. I haven't installed the key writing wires yet, so I'm testing with encrypted roms for now.

My B board is rev 6 and it came with a PAL G. Kit came with a PAL chip also and the same sound issues persist with that chip as well. Instructions didn't seem too clear to me in this area. What exactly do I need to do with the PAL chip, if anything?

I'm having garbled sound and I'm not sure where to go to troubleshoot. Roms seem to load correctly and gameplay is fine aside from the sound. I haven't installed the key writing wires yet, so I'm testing with encrypted roms for now.

My B board is rev 6 and it came with a PAL G. Kit came with a PAL chip also and the same sound issues persist with that chip as well. Instructions didn't seem too clear to me in this area. What exactly do I need to do with the PAL chip, if anything?
That sounds like the symptoms of when you have the PAL F and you don't hook up the cable to J17... but you said you have a PAL G which I don't think requires that part of the setup.

You did all the normal stuff first right? Like tested a known working board on the cab? also is your CPS2 motherboard system setting set to jamma or qsound correctly? Shouldn't cause garbled audio, but might be a factor.

Yup, board works and sounds fine pre-multi install (Marvel vs SF).

I'll try the cable setup as long as this isn't destructive. Again, this wasn't spelled out very well in the instructions. The way it was worded and how I've read about it on the forums is if there's a PAL G on revision 6 or 7 boards, nothing needs to be done. Just looking for clarification on this.

It shouldn't require anything else. Have you confirmed the jumpers are set correctly for the Q Sound section

It may be set to use non JEDEC EPROMs and will need to be changed.

box-l-4wzxdu3nxwxdou2qv5tfnhqvje-1001

Not sure it’s the culprit, but worth mentioning. even if there is no visible solder connecting the jumpers, there still might be a small wire trace connecting them. In the image above 3 jumpers are closed: 9, 10, 12

1,2,3,4 are EPROM 1
5,6,8,9 are EPROM 2

These are the audio ROMs

10,11 and 12,13 are Q Sound, but the only difference there is 2mbit vs 4mbit. Audio ROMs are JEDEC vs non JEDEC which definitely need to be set correctly.

Nice pickup @ekorz

For correct operation you should have:
SOOSSOOS

The jumpers in the image above are right (8 is open and 9 is soldered) - but check 1-6

Checked all the jumper settings and all seems to be fine in that area. Continuity checks out the way it's supposed to be set for each jumper. Did this several times as a sanity check, even the ones I didn't need to touch.

Either way I'm gonna send the kit in for other fixes soon. Hopefully this all easily resolved.

what does it means by Key writing wires are not installed correctly
if you’re running the latest firmware and you wish to use the encrypted cps2 romset, you also need to connect the multi pcb to the B board with 4 wires. Those wires write the encryption keys to the B board, so they’re “key writing wires”. The first post discusses where the wires connect.

Here’s a thread with some photos: 4 wire key soldering questions, plus red screen issue during install of DS Kit. (Solved)

If you’re seeing symptoms which are due to your key writing wires not being installed correctly, then those wires aren’t attached properly, or are in the wrong place, or are otherwise not connected properly to the B board.

I'm having a strange issue: I have the key writing firmware, and all the correct wires hooked up. When I load an encrypted game, it will flash normally, write the key, and boot correctly. The game will play fine for about 2 or 3 minutes, but then it will crash (generally freeze, but sometimes everything but the sound will go out, or it will go into a reboot loop). Unencrypted games (like the SSF2X hacks, or the VSav hacks) will run perfectly indefinitely. Any hints?

I'm having a strange issue: I have the key writing firmware, and all the correct wires hooked up. When I load an encrypted game, it will flash normally, write the key, and boot correctly. The game will play fine for about 2 or 3 minutes, but then it will crash (generally freeze, but sometimes everything but the sound will go out, or it will go into a reboot loop). Unencrypted games (like the SSF2X hacks, or the VSav hacks) will run perfectly indefinitely. Any hints?
Almost guaranteed to be a voltage issue where your power is dipping periodically.

Mitzi - will I need the programmer for the original launch boards for anything else or should I just sell it now?

Mitzi - will I need the programmer for the original launch boards for anything else or should I just sell it now?
Not sure what you mean. Are you asking if you need a programmer to update the first batch of CPS2 multis?

I think he's asking if the programmer is useful for anything else and if not, he'll sell it on

New products have the update from sd card built in so I don't see a need for it really.

Almost guaranteed to be a voltage issue where your power is dipping periodically.
Put it in another cab with a power supply and adjusted it even to 5.1v. Still the same problem. Though certain games, in a strange effect, rapidly increment the credit counter on the cab. Again, all the hacks seem to work perfectly (just tried out Punisher, among others, and it's great). Is there some kind of debugging rom or diagnostic tool I can run?

Back