What's new
Hi! Black screen on a brand new v2 Multi / 9646B-4 with key writing lines connected. LCD allows game selection, load, successful key writing and then sits in ‘Now playing’.

Rom set: Darksoft CPS2 Roll-Up Base Pack 2019-09-18.7z

SD card: Verbatim 4GB.

Main board and adapter board are pressed down as tight as they’ll go it seems. Have tested a few connections on Main board.

Suggestions?

post some pics of the set up.

Also, try the decrypted rom set and see if you can isolate it to the key writing wires

Ah.. may have found an issue:

Capture.JPG

The JST NH connector is labelled 1-6 from right to left when connected to the multi board.
The instructions here are reading left to right...

OK!
Can confirm that was my issue.
Both test Rom sets verified. Unencrytped Roms ran fine.
Resoldered key writing connections in reverse direction, encrypted Roms now running.

NH1.jpg

Given that there are no markings on the board, and JST markings on the connecting plug... perhaps the manual should be updated to reflect that numbering system?
This is only necessary for those without the C9 port...

Hi all,

I'm currently working on updating the firmware on my Darksoft Multi to allow for key writing, but it looks like the connector I bought is too large for the CN9 header on my revision 5 B board. Is there a specific connector y'all would recommend for it? I'm tempted to buy the Champion Edition cable and just clip one of the sides for soldering, but I'd prefer not to ruin the CE-specific product and just get something with the connector on one side and loose wires on the other. Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Running into a black screen when trying to setup my 93646B-7 B board. Know the board was working prior.

Tried the Definitive Guide black screen steps firsts
-Reseated Key wire
-Checked connections of two boards and the bridge
-Shorted EXC5
-Tried a decrypted rom sets and the 01010101 / 10101010 test roms
-Tried a couple of reformats and rewrites using the utility suggested in the setup guide (Using a genuine Sandisk 32GB SDHC)

Nothing has produced any sort of image so far
Mind looking over my install here and seeing if there's anything glaringly obvious? Cheers in advance!

Bunch more images here:
https://imgur.com/a/n7FZvOS

eIAkwYI.jpg

buTQUAp.jpg

FiLkLkK.jpg

Nothing running at all is a clear sign of problems with Program Roms. In my opinion the interconnect PCB is not inserted properly on the side of the Main PCB of the Multi. Can you try pushing that one ?

Could you confirm a few things:

What have you got (if anything) on the LCD selector screen?
Are you able to run a decrypted ROM?
Have you tried reseating A and B boards and also your JAMMA connection?
What OS are you using to write the SD card?

Nothing running at all is a clear sign of problems with Program Roms. In my opinion the interconnect PCB is not inserted properly on the side of the Main PCB of the Multi. Can you try pushing that one ?
Could you confirm a few things:

What have you got (if anything) on the LCD selector screen?
Are you able to run a decrypted ROM?
Have you tried reseating A and B boards and also your JAMMA connection?
What OS are you using to write the SD card?
I started with the bridge pcb, It felt pretty firm, centered, and pressed in (when I installed initially I used the instructions on pushing up from the main board side to secure the bridge in). I did a full reseat and with the bridge it is as far as I can push it down, using the method of pushing from the bottom of the main board to secure. Still no change in result.

Xodara: I went ahead and unseated all three boards and reinserted again firmly, still the same results. Tried reseating A/B boards again, tried handful of avalaunch decrypted roms, still same result. I'm using Windows 10, tried to format the card in fat32 in both windows and using the recommended tool in the instructions (sdcard.org)

Also if it helps clarify, once it says "All done: Have fun!" the kind of black kind of changes, it seems to go to a bit darker black (which is why I tried some of the troubleshooting steps around the key wiring cable like the unencrypted roms- tried a few from avalaunch, same results)

My test jamma PCBs still work fine on the machine. Thanks guys for the assistance, excited to get this amazing piece humming along!

Here's the SD card I bought yesterday for installation.

Full album here:
https://imgur.com/a/LWyz64R

OpT6zVi.jpeg

vhwDbz6.jpeg

toUyyNU.jpeg

MQ7A8NN.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely disconnect the key writing cable and try the decrypted set. Also please post a photo of the cable flat.

Also do you have a different SD? I noticed you’re using a Sandisk Extreme which is very high speed. The most I have ever tested with was Ultra cards.

Back