What's new

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
Anyone have a nice recommendation for a quality surge protector for use with arcade cabs?

For bonus points built in step down from 120v to 100v AC would be nice but not required. UPS battery backup probably overkill.

Never seen one combined with a stepdown before.

The more joules the better.

The most important feature is up to you to decide on.
For ppl that want to fully protect their equipment period. You want a Surge that auto cuts power off to its outlets once its past its joules rating.

Most Surges, once they are beyond their limit have a protection LED. If its not lit, its not protecting anymore and is just acting like a regular powerstrip.

How often do you check a Surge Protector's lights to see if they are still on? Most never do.

Good quality surges are usually $30 or more.

Here is a good example of one on Amazon atm for $24: http://a.co/d/5BXw7ai
- 2395 joules
- Auto cut-off version

Other things to consider is specific needs. # of outlets, wall plugin style, etc.

@PascalP What is the benefit of the multiple socket APC surge protector vs. single socket APC surge protector + regular multi socket power extender?

As a stepdown, I exclusively use this one, per cab (~46 euro):
P.SUP.37-HQ_2.JPG

link

My mate who runs a lot of high end studio gear (audio) swears by the Belkin powerboards with Surge protectors. He put in a lot of work looking into return on investment and performance and that's what he raves about. Anyone else have experience with 'em?

Never seen one combined with a stepdown before.

The more joules the better.

The most important feature is up to you to decide on.
For ppl that want to fully protect their equipment period. You want a Surge that auto cuts power off to its outlets once its past its joules rating.

Most Surges, once they are beyond their limit have a protection LED. If its not lit, its not protecting anymore and is just acting like a regular powerstrip.

How often do you check a Surge Protector's lights to see if they are still on? Most never do.

Good quality surges are usually $30 or more.

Here is a good example of one on Amazon atm for $24: http://a.co/d/5BXw7ai
- 2395 joules
- Auto cut-off version

Other things to consider is specific needs. # of outlets, wall plugin style, etc.
Good stuff. This is the one @Derick2k linked in another thread, has both surge protection / step down and also battery backup, but it's also $300.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YXW6MFI

Pretty nice looking though having everything needed in one unit. Would look a lot better than surge protector + separate cheap stepdowns + JP/US adapters + etc.

It looks like it could easily handle 3 cabs at the same time too, so would come out to ~$100/cab for great protection.

if you knew how little was in a surge protector

then you would use something like this instead.

btw, most psu's already contain one.

Ever replace a lightning arrestor? Not much to them either and they get the job done the majority of the time. I can't even count how many Receiver/Transmitters they have saved over the years from my experience in the field.

Not all arcade PSUs have them and fuses are not a fail-safe on surges.

The pcb in that video is exactly what I refer to as going completely cheap and if that Hyundai Surge isnt cheap, its a ripoff. It only has a few metal oxide varistors in it. I see maybe 1 thermal resistor. Zero heavy gauge inductors for pass-thru. Unlike the DINs you are showing, which is another option to go with.

Here is a good example of one on Amazon atm for $24: a.co/d/5BXw7ai
- 2395 joules
- Auto cut-off version
any recommendations for a more compact one? most of the time I'm only running 1 cab, maybe 2 per outlet so a single outlet or two outlet surge protector would be ideal.

Here is a good example of one on Amazon atm for $24: a.co/d/5BXw7ai
- 2395 joules
- Auto cut-off version
any recommendations for a more compact one? most of the time I'm only running 1 cab, maybe 2 per outlet so a single outlet or two outlet surge protector would be ideal.
I'll take a look after work today and see what I can find.

Most of the APC wall mounts are 1080+ Joules, 400 voltage clamping, thermal resistors, and even line filtering. I trust APC a lot more than companies like Belkin.

Problem is, a lot of surges now have extra junk like USB chargers. APC does make a 6 Outlet with them on the side.

Last edited:
@PascalP What is the benefit of the multiple socket APC surge protector vs. single socket APC surge protector + regular multi socket power extender?

As a stepdown, I exclusively use this one, per cab (~46 euro):
P.SUP.37-HQ_2.JPG

link
the single socket and the power strip have different ratings of how much they can take, would have to look up the exact specs on APC’s website, but the 8 socket power strip
Is rated higher.

I use the single one for my cabs/stepdown, as I just need one socket, and I use the 8 outlet power strip for all consoles for convenience.
Also I use the same 8 outlet power strip for my TV/AV equipment and another one for my PC gear :)

Only downside for me is that the single socket does not have a power switch like the 8 socket has.

Regarding the HQ stepdown you have, I know about 99,9% of all arcade owners in the Netherlands use it, but I bought a Airlink after I opened up the HQ ones and saw the quality internals...

Back