What's new

vnvlotus

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been a lurker of various arcade forums, mostly Shoryuken since the early 00's. I've always had a thing for arcades since I was a young kid in the early 90s. I remember when Street Fighter 2 first came out and our family was on vacation in Boulder, CA in the summer of 1991. There was a mall that had a World Warrior cabinet. My older brother had told me about it and convinced me to ask our parents to pop a few quarters in. I had no clue what I was doing, but everything about that experience was awesome. The sounds, the colors, the action, it was all fantastic! In the spring of 1993, my neighbor across the street got a Super Nintendo and World Warrior and I was hooked. Later my brother and I saw that the Sega Genesis was going to get a copy of Street Fighter, so we saved our money that Christmas to get Special Champion Edition and 2-6 button controllers. And of course we per-ordered SSF2 for the next summer after playing it in the arcades.

In the early to mid 2000s when MAME was really starting to pickup and I started hanging out with some competitive arcade fighters in my area, I started to get interested in the different arcade boards, specifically the CPS2 and CPS3 systems, I was devastated to learn that the boards would suicide and that Capcom's Coin-Op division in the USA was gone, so there wasn't any support left. I saw CPS-2 Shock and was really excited that there were people who had both the passion and knowledge to revive old boards. Alas I went off to college and focused on my studies and gaming had left me for over 6 years.

A few years after college, around 2011/2012, I started work at a TV station and got into more electronics and remembered about my dreams of acquiring a CPS2 or CPS3 system. That's when I stumbled upon DarkSoft's original blog for cracking the CPS3 system and I was super excited that someone was about to take on what I considered to be impossible since so few people have an interest in it and the knowledge. I would check in every few months to see what was going on and loved seeing that crazy custom wiring harness.

Here I am years later, with a good paying job, and trying to find a hobby for myself, that I can work on for years to come. My hopes are to acquire some version of a Capcom Big Blue, I'd love to get my hands on a few candy cabs, a working CPS2, CPS3, and Neo-Geo MVS setup.

I love arcades and the idea of preserving all aspects of their history as best as possible. I want to learn and document as much as I can so that generations after me can have material to reference. And sadly I understand that someday most boards won't run, but I want to elongate the original boards as much as possible.

Thanks for this community and environment! I plan to start saving and start my projects summer of 2019, but life always happens, so we'll see what I come up with!

Hey, I'm in Indy! :thumbup:

"Wherever you go, there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there." - KV

Hey, I'm in Indy! :thumbup:

"Wherever you go, there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there." - KV
Nice! What good arcades are left? I see that Level Up Gaming Lounge should be starting business soon. Is Tilt Studio any good? We have three arcades in Fort Wayne that are worth mentioning, Double Dragon, The Next Level Bar & Arcade, and Wizard's World Pinball. Double Dragon was alright, but had some bad sticks, buttons, and sound on a few machines about 6 months ago, but I want to check them out again. Wizard's World Pinball is really amazing and the owner takes pride in having really nice working machines. I have yet to go to Next Level Bar & Arcade, but hope to sometime soon.

Yo!
I was just down in Fort Wayne for their "FortCon" around Halloween-ish.
Nice crowd down there.
Welcome aboard!!!

Yo!
Nice crowd down there.
Welcome aboard!!!
It's Trevor. =) I finally decided to stop lurking and start getting into the thick of it. With Christmas coming up and tax returns in a few months, I am planning ahead to see if I should dive in or what. CPS2 is my favorite, but I start with MVS like you had suggested.

Yo!
Nice crowd down there.
Welcome aboard!!!
It's Trevor. =) I finally decided to stop lurking and start getting into the thick of it. With Christmas coming up and tax returns in a few months, I am planning ahead to see if I should dive in or what. CPS2 is my favorite, but I start with MVS like you had suggested.
Eff yeah man! Welcome to the forums.
There's LOTS to learn here.
Use the Search, it works extremely well.
If not reach out directly to me, i'll kick you in the right direction.
Get a KLOV account together as well if you want to dip into these waters.
Cheers!

@vnvlotus

Nice, I used to be in Indy, there was a decent size group that would gather to play back in 2010-2013. I don't think Tilt has much happening anymore. We had tournaments there in 2008 and 2009, then a bit more organized group of guys held gatherings there for a bit.

I do know the last 4yrs, in Fountain Square area (I think), there are some old man cabinet games that get streamed for a tournament, SF2 and 3S. I need to look up the user on Twitch, maybe you can connect with them.

I moved away to AZ though, hope it goes well finding a gaming group to connect with there.

Back