What's new
+1 for me. As if it’s a question at this point...

If this is the line, I'm in.
I want hot Chinese arcade action, and Cave shooters running on hardware that's obtainable.

I'm interested. Would love an onscreen menu please.

I'm interested. Would love an onscreen menu please.
Legit games + Cave conversions (including the trap15 arrange and the theoretical white label ddp that we haven't proven can actually be done) + the 2 KoV hacks I'm aware of = 36 games max. I'm in favor of the LCD screen for that number personally, but will be happy with whatever.

I disagree. I want a menu! I don't want a cumbersome cable and large LCD module which can barely be read unless you're on the exact right angle in pristine lighting conditions. Having to press a button 30 times to reach the desired game. Working out where to mount it and keep it accessible yet out of the way. Meh, it just seems like such a prehistoric way of doing it.

Sometimes I feel like an alien here. You guys all prefer LCDs and I was just reading an old thread re the Neo multi, where it was asked if people wanted a flash or FPGA solution, and an alarmingly large number of people screamed for flash despite the obvious benefits of FPGA.

You're all backwards I tells ya. :P

I think it's because a lot of us are purists. What I'm looking for in a multi is an something that is as close to swapping ROMs on the PCB without having to go through the trouble of swapping ROMs on the PCB. I want to power on the cab and have it boot exactly like original hardware, I want the whole experience to be as close to the original hardware as physically possible. I don't get that with an on-screen menu.

Menus are great if you're swapping games around like you're flipping channels on the TV but honestly if you're doing that you're not really getting into the nuances of the games and you might as well just be using an X in 1 board or a MAME setup. When that's what i feel like doing then I fire up my MAME cab, but when I want to setup a game to play it a bunch over the course of a week and really dive into the details and nuances of the game then I'm going to want to play on an original PCB (or as close to original as possible) and leave it on one game for days/weeks while I revisit the game and dive into it.

the thing is it doesn't matter if I'm pushing a button on a cumbersome LCD 30+ times because it's something I'm willing to deal with to get a multi that's that much closer to the original hardware.

the menu caused a huge delay, added cost and has been the source of a lot of bugs and headaches with the mvs multi... very much not worth it imo.
+1

The MVS multi is easily my least used, and in no small part because it sat idle for months between menu updates.

All the other multis were plug and play day one, and you never had to update them unless you chose to. I don't think I've ever updated my CPS2 multi, only added games since it was released.

I still don't understand.

I'm not talking about a full blown menu system, just a dialog that appears upon holding start. This is far less intrusive than an unsightly cable with an LCD dangling precariously off the end. That right there spoils the illusion and screams 'this is not legit'.

I believe the issues relating to the Neo multi aren't related to the game selection menu, it's the features that are causing hiccups.

In any event, it doesn't really matter it's just a matter of personal preference. Seems the general consensus is to have an LCD, if so can we at least entertain the idea of a better quality screen which is smaller, easier to read and navigate with mounting options taken into consideration?

As it is a well known secret now that @Darksoft and @Apocalypse have discussed the possibility of a PGM multicart, who wants one? ;)
I’m down for 1 for sure.

Not saying this WILL happen, just hoping it MIGHT happen :thumbup:
Which interesting horizontal games does the platform offer? :)
Beat Em Ups galore. Demon Front for an interesting Metal Slug-esque run n gun. Couple decent fighters.
Ow he knows, he has a Demon Front pcb ;)

Back