What's new
As it is a well known secret now that @Darksoft and @Apocalypse have discussed the possibility of a PGM multicart, who wants one? ;)
I’m down for 1 for sure.

Not saying this WILL happen, just hoping it MIGHT happen :thumbup:
Which interesting horizontal games does the platform offer? :)
Beat Em Ups galore. Demon Front for an interesting Metal Slug-esque run n gun. Couple decent fighters.
Ow he knows, he has a Demon Front pcb ;)
So AFAIK it's Demon Front, the KOV series, the OL series and that's it if you're not into tating?

+1

i'm pretty sure had that already in another thread, but just to be sure - of course i'm in for one :D

Sometimes I feel like an alien here. You guys all prefer LCDs and I was just reading an old thread re the Neo multi, where it was asked if people wanted a flash or FPGA solution, and an alarmingly large number of people screamed for flash despite the obvious benefits of FPGA.
TBH i'll take what gets made :P . I think i understand both sides, when it comes to my usecase i also would prefer a proper menu, finding the game you want on st-v, cps-2 or F3 could certainly be easier, especially when you are hopping from game to game like me ;) .
But i certainly understand that creating an on screen menu is a huge layer of complexity on top...

Beat Em Ups galore. Demon Front for an interesting Metal Slug-esque run n gun. Couple decent fighters.
Ow he knows, he has a Demon Front pcb ;)
So AFAIK it's Demon Front, the KOV series, the OL series and that's it if you're not into tating?
SvG is actually pretty fantastic, and Martial Masters is no joke. There's also a couple decent puzzle games (the Dragon World series and the Photo Y2K games)

a dialog that appears upon holding start. .... That right there spoils the illusion and screams 'this is not legit'.
My test for a Multi is if I could potentially put it in an arcade and never have a user run into a situation where they don't think it's original. Having a button shortcut kills that, having a to select a game before it boots into a game kills that. THOSE are illusion spoilers IMO. And not just illusion spoilers but functionality spoilers because now you can't actually use that arcade board in an actual arcade.

I believe the issues relating to the Neo multi aren't related to the game selection menu
This is from a quick search through the "games with issues thread":
This is all related to the menu. It will be fixed in the next update.zs
New version of the menu with many many fixes released here:Darksoft's MultiMVS Latest Firmware, Menu and Instructions
Yes, but that's related to the menu code itself, not the cart or the mobo or anything else.
Looks like the problem is coming from the MENU! nothing to do with firmare.
Pulstar looked to be FPGA related and apparently was related to MENU. Thanks.
ok. This must be menu+nvram related. Not cart related. We'll try to have it fixed for next update.
Roger. It's certainly menu related.
Those are all in reference to games that had problems due to the menu.

Don't get me wrong, having an on-screen menu is convenient, but it's not a convenience worth the added cost, the added development time, the added time after release for all the bugs to get worked out, and it's definitely not worth the potential determent to the games not running accurately.

If nothing else I'd rather DS's time be spent on developing new and interesting hardware, not as software support. Unless he really prefers to that that :D

Multi + Darksoft + Apocalypse + who wants one = Me of course
+1
and lets cross fingers that this multi becomes a priority 8)

Don't get me wrong, having an on-screen menu is convenient, but it's not a convenience worth the added cost, the added development time, the added time after release for all the bugs to get worked out, and it's definitely not worth the potential determent to the games not running accurately.
This.

IMHO soemthing similar to the CPS2 multi would be the way to go.

Save the menus for Pandoras box and Chinese bootleg MVS.

Re MVS woes, I think it's more to do with the virtual slots and having x 4 of them rather than the instruction of loading a game. It's the same principle as using an LCD, select the game, load it.

Ultimately a software driven menu system offers the most flexibility. Want an admin mode where end users can't touch things, no problem. Load last stored game from a power cycle, no dramas. Navigate a games list with ease with no additional hardware, use joystick and buttons to navigate said menu etc, it's just a more versatile and streamlined approach.

I think costs are irrelevant. With an LCD people are spending over $50 after the fact to sort out extension cables and 3D printed cases etc.

Ultimately a software driven menu system offers the most flexibility.
It also introduces a lot of room for error. The menu system is only as good as the developer/designer of it.

I'd be okay with a plain black screen with game names in white and just select one. But if anyone were to propose another Neo-style menu I'd be incredibly hesitant to part with my money for it. Realistically I'd end up buying it anyway, because there's not going to be any competing PGM multicart, so it's take what you are offered or nothing, but I'd do it begrudgingly.

The menu only needs to be simple, no fancy bling needed.

I'm buying it either way. I'm doubtful that a menu system will be incorporated, and that's okay, but I can't concede that an external LCD is a better solution.

I think it's my most wanted multi now that I have both Neo and CPS2 multis, so yes, I'll buy one for sure!

I will take one for sure! I don't even have a cart for mine.

There's a reason I posted this pic over a month ago...

:D

AmIDreaming.JPG

Back