What's new

chomponooch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cps 2 multi setup has been working perfectly long time till last Saturday...
I've not changed anything (even removed it from plastic case) but sudennly it boots to solid colour screen.
Sometimes (very very rarely) it boots normally and after power off/on it boots to static green/blue/red screen.
On the LCD everything seems to be ok - flashing, key writting, have fun etc.

The only things I've done so far are:

- try to boot it on another motherboard - without effect.
- checked multi with another two sd carts (sandisk 2 and 4 gb) and effect is still the same - after flashing multi boots to colour screen with short sound buzz.
- sd with old rompack (after disconnecting key wires) - nothing has changed.

Of course I'm going to try run it on a different B board - but for now I havn't any other one - Is there anything I could do first (until I'll get another b-board)?

Thank you for any help.

Could be a charge built up in one of the exec resistors on the B board.

Try letting the board sit dormant for 2-3 days; or short out all the exec resistors on the B board.

And hope a custom didn't go bad on you.

I did it (by touching all three pin of EXC5) - still the same.
But when I powered it up today first time (after a few days of not starting up) it booted correctly (only once - this first time).
After power off and on it boots to static green colour screen.

This is the part where I put Razoola's CPS2 tester rom on the board to make sure it's a good candidate for revival.

IDK, maybe you can load it using the multi or something?

Or maybe there is another rom on the multi that does the same thing can use.

---

Inspect the multi board kit on the B board.

In particular the daughter board part over the program roms section.

Make sure the cable is firmly attached and the board is in the sockets all the way.

Last edited:
This is the part where I put Razoola's CPS2 tester rom on the board to make sure it's a good candidate for revival.

IDK, maybe you can load it using the multi or something?

Or maybe there is another rom on the multi that does the same thing can use.

---

Inspect the multi board kit on the B board.

In particular the daughter board part over the program roms section.

Make sure the cable is firmly attached and the board is in the sockets all the way.
This. It's not able to read your main program ROMs.

Try removing and reseating the multi kit, check the interconnect is making good contact and make sure you're using the clips to hold A and B boards together.

Could also be a bad socket

Thank you for all advices but I've just removed, and reseated the muli kit and checked connection - no effect.
I havn't test rom but I'll try to find (I'm not sure I still have it...) and test my b board with full phonixed game romset (maskroms, eproms, phoenixed eproms and pal) which was working previously with this b-board.

Yesterday I checked my multi on another working b-board (rev. 7 with correct pal and correctly jumpers settings) and issue has not disappeared - cps2 after flashing boots to solid colour screen.
I'm really worried ;( - is there any cps2 multi post warranty service (with tech fee of course)?
I'm located in Europe.
Thank you.

Check your key writing solder joints and whether your wires are making good contact to the header (the wires might be loose in the housing)

Also maybe try a decrypted ROM to see if the issue is with the key writing side or something else.

Also post a photo of your key writing wires so we can check to make sure they're connected correctly

Uff - I almost lost hope then I thought "why not try without EXC5?" I removed it and my multi finally works with old decrypted roms :)

I am sorry that it tooks so long, but only now I have found time to test everything and check each option.
For the record:
I've thought that I ended my cps 2 multu problems but suddenly similar issues have come back for cps 2 multi on B board without EXC5 and old rompack.

I used your advices from here https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...darksoft-cps2-has-3-2-and-suzo-happ-psu.7870/

I tested my multi with several sd carts (sandisk, samsung, toshiba, 4,8,16,128 gb, 4 and 10 class) and two rev. 7 b boards (b boards are 100% working - I've tested them with original maskroms/encrypted eproms sets)

The results are so:
- I managed to run properly my multi on both b boards (one b board has shortcuted 3-legs capcitor in exc5, oter one hasnt exc5 capacitor at all) and with 5 sd cards (only one doesnt work) with new and old rompack
- but it works very, very, very rarely...

The malfunction always looks the same:
1. Multi works properly.
2. After some time (few games flashing), the device freezes the sound after few minutes playing (long beep or no sound at all) but when I reboot multi the sound is correct again.
3. After another few flashing multi boots to solid colour screen or garbage screen.

When I disconneted key wires and uploaded MvsC unlocked it boots to this screen

When it doesnt boot to solid colour screen or garbage screen it boots to screen like this one

Or suddenly it works flawlesly and then boots to solid colour screen or garbage screen.

This multi has been working well long time - it's now after the warranty period - during warranty protection Mitsu and Darksoft helped me many times - the support was great! :thumbsup:

Any ideas? My idea is sold it for parts (as non-working) and purchase new one...
Or does anyone in Europe provide post-warranty service?
I really appreciate any help - thank you.

Last edited:
btw - I''ve realized that one game (Capcom Sports Club) successfully boots (but still very rarely) more than others.
if multi is able to load that game It means that bootloader istn't corrupted?

I would try carefully removing the kit without bending any of the pins... and reinserting it all around. The fact that you can sometimes boot means that the key writing is working. It also means that the main board is making good connection to the power and ground, but it could be missing connection to the ROM sockets.

Back