What's new

thechop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a Mushi pcb here that I got a while ago which has a problem saving Ultra( can put the code in and play it until you power down and have to re-enter)
Also when it boots up and gets to the checking EEPROM screen it says initializing instead of checking so it's as if it initializes on every power up so even once powered up if you alter the freeplay, continues etc once you 'save and exit' it just initializes again.
The time and date real time clock also is goofy as its 20FF/FF/FF FF etc
So I'm assuming the RTC/EEPROM at U10 may be the problem.
This little beggar

X0Uauc.jpg

Been playing it for the last month or so and all modes are fine and I've 1'cc them all :lol: to the end so not really a massive problem and as these non bug fixed high scores are all fcuked anyway just wondering if any learned folks think changing U10 might fix it or just not worth fucking the board up for, well nothing really as it doesn't really affect anything.
Be nice to fix it and ultra to be unlocked tho :lol:
Needless to say replacing that surface mounted component is way beyond my meagre skills.
This is a spare board I got for basically the artset :palm: so if anyone with skills may know how these tick it'd be appreciated.

Cheers

Pete.

World Of Arcades said:
CAVE used to have a service where you paid 22,000JPY (21,000JPY service + 1,000JPY domestic shipping) to update your version. This service is no longer offered.
Credit: EOJ & oxtsu & rtw
This is a bit steep for bugs they are responsible of...

I attempted to update the program rom in circuit with a nand clip but unfortunately it has to be programmed out of circuit.

I also think U10 is the likely culprit and shouldn't be hard to change at all.

Thanks for your reply, are these the chips? Can't find any stocked in the UK but can get hold one of these from a friend who has some.
https://mobi.aliexpress.com/item/32...00_0131&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32857398460
So does anyone know anyone confident enough to change the chip?
I'm more tempted to get it done to see if when its changed if it does the trick ultra is still unlocked or not, be nice to have an locked pcb.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this, pcb came back today massive thanks to oneleaf86 for doing this for me. I really appreciate it.
Top job done.
Everything saving as it should.
And ultra still locked, boy I've been tempted to put the code in but I kinda like it locked, I ain't gonna play ultra anyway haha.

DJwNiF.jpg
wy3sHO.jpg
7S8yHS.jpg

I'd be happy to help if anyone has a similar issue but I don't think this is a very common occurrence.

It's the only cave pcb I've ever seen with this problem, it's how I received it fully knowing its problem(and it came with a full artset I'd wanted for ages) makes me wonder if it was caused by some plonker trying to initialize the high scores with this piece of wire/transistor trick.

http://arcadefever.blogspot.com/2011/12/reset-highscore-table-on-cave-sh3-pcbs.html

I took a punt on it hoping this replacement RTC/EPROM would work and also hoping I'd be left with a locked ultra, luckily it worked :)

Nothing as far as I know, just can't be many pcbs that aren't unlocked I guess, a novelty if you will, nothing more, so very tempting though haha.

Although I recall now that ultra being unlocked on these non bug fixed pcbs Is the only place your Maniac scores save as they save in the ultra table I think.
Just got over 10 million on maniac which is enough to be top but on power down it disappears, when ultra is unlocked it reappears there I think.

@oneleaf86 Sorry for warming up this old thread and stupid question. I own the first revision of Mushi, with all the bugs. Can I just replace the R9701 chip as it comes?
Im not so much in electronics, but Im able to make some fine solder work :)

@oneleaf86 Sorry for warming up this old thread and stupid question. I own the first revision of Mushi, with all the bugs. Can I just replace the R9701 chip as it comes?
Im not so much in electronics, but Im able to make some fine solder work :)
Why do you want to replace the R9701 chip?
That will not fix any of the bugs, and replacing it is only useful if something is broken unrelated to initial bugs.

You can however JTAG upgrade mushi to a newer revision nowadays.
See: https://github.com/buffis/cv1k_research

Bonus video of doing exactly that:

OK, I thought it would repair the save bug. But thanks for your help.

Back