What's new
Had some time for tests this afternoon.
Connected everything via the NTSC board, exactly the same result... :(

Also I tried swapping the top boards of 2 games, but as the 'motherboards' of Namco System 12 are also game specific, this results in 2 non booting/non working games...

I noticed you're hooking up the JVS in a loop back on the back panel.

what is the actual JVS wiring setup? is it going from the game to the back panel and then two separate JVS cables from the back panel to the I/O board?

what happens if you run just 1 jvs cable directly to the light I/O from the game board?

Last edited:
I noticed you're hooking up the JVS in a loop back on the back panel.

what is the actual JVS wiring setup? is it going from the game to the back panel and then two separate JVS cables from the back panel to the I/O board?

what happens if you run just 1 jvs cable directly to the light I/O from the game board?
At first I had the last situation as you describe, 1 cable directly from the game pcb to the I/O.

Later I tried the other situation where there is a loop via the NTSC board.
Both give the same result

Ok, the only other thing you could do is get another I/O card, lets say a sega one and test it out and see what happens.

Anyone near you that can test the board? Did you know the boards to work through JVS when you bought them?

I will see if I can find another I/O board to test with.
I have no one I know near me with a JVS wired cab, only Jamma, but I could give it a go via a Capcom JVS/Jamma converter I guess...

Not sure if the previous owners used the boards via JVS or not. The non-working Tekken 3 board comes from a NOS kit, so should be OK.

Got some more JVS stuff to test:
- Sega Naomi, works
- Namco System 246 and 256, both throw a I/O mismatch error...

My guess would be that the later revision Namco boards would expect a later revision I/O and Display with colours...?

Usually JVS I/O errors have to do with the features of the board. For instance if the game needs 10 digital output pins but the I/O board only has 8 it might throw an I/O board not supported error.

I've also found that sometimes if you change game settings it's I/O requirements can also change. For instance a game that is setup for 2-players will throw an I/O error if the I/O board only supports 1 player, but if you go into game test mode and change to 1 player mode then it will work with the I/O board.

I've been doing some research into this display for a bit. and it seems that the there are indeed at least two revisions of the display and only certain games support certain revisions http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=5326

if you hook this up to a NAOMI and go into the JVS test, take a picture of what comes up on the screen, it might lend some insight.

I've been doing some research into this display for a bit. and it seems that the there are indeed at least two revisions of the display and only certain games support certain revisions http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=5326

if you hook this up to a NAOMI and go into the JVS test, take a picture of what comes up on the screen, it might lend some insight.
Will hoop up a Naomi tonight, and post some screens of the I/O version.

One thing I was able to test this weekend is with my System 256 hooked up:

- Tekken 5 DR - get the same revision mismatch error when hooked up via JVS, need to use the Namco JVS-> Jamma and then the Namco Jamma -> System 246 adapter
- Super Dragon Ball Z - Work perfect via JVS

So the Namco games really expect the display of the Cyberlead cab, also checked the setting in Tekken 5 but am not able to turn OFF the display.

So I get the impression that there is a Red only LED display as well as a Red/Green LED display (this can also do yellow/orange by mixing red and green together)

Which one do you have? and do you know the model numbers of your I/O board and LED control board?

this is the board that I'll be getting in soon:
stm27256-img600x450-1458033504v2jvn831184.jpg

Yes, there is a red only and a red/green display, I have the RED ONLY display.
Will check the revisions when I get home tonight from work. (If I remember correct it is something like 1.01 or 1.03)

The board you picture is the I/O work like mine and there is a similar board attached to the display (minus the USB ports and some variation in population of the PCB).

The board you picture is the I/O work like mine and there is a similar board attached to the display (minus the USB ports and some variation in population of the PCB).
From what I've been reading there are various revisions of both the I/O and the LED control board. and compatibility changes with both of them.

From what I understand the game pre-loads animations into the I/O board so that during gameplay it can just send simple commands such as "play animation #5". This makes sense because the JVS bandwidth is pretty slow and you'd have really laggy gameplay if the game board was providing the whole bit-stream for the display while polling the controls.

It looks like the communication between the LED control board and the I/O board is a simple Serial connection. Ideally I'd like to figure out if it's a 1 way output or if there is some kind of hand-shake communication that reports the LED control board revision/capabilities back to the I/O board and if it uses a standard/existing protocol for communication. ideally we could use an off-the shelf LED display/control board or worst case build one.

it could also open the possibility to improve compatibility across games that support it by reporting whatever hardware revision it wants to see.

If the I/O board does indeed store animations I'd suspect that it would be much more difficult to emulate, the JVS protocol is pretty well documented but I'd guess that these commands all reside in the "manufacturer specific" code range. so it'd be matter of recording the serial data and trying to make sense of it.

From what I've been reading there are various revisions of both the I/O and the LED control board. and compatibility changes with both of them.
From what I understand the game pre-loads animations into the I/O board so that during gameplay it can just send simple commands such as "play animation #5". This makes sense because the JVS bandwidth is pretty slow and you'd have really laggy gameplay if the game board was providing the whole bit-stream for the display while polling the controls.

It looks like the communication between the LED control board and the I/O board is a simple Serial connection. Ideally I'd like to figure out if it's a 1 way output or if there is some kind of hand-shake communication that reports the LED control board revision/capabilities back to the I/O board and if it uses a standard/existing protocol for communication. ideally we could use an off-the shelf LED display/control board or worst case build one.

it could also open the possibility to improve compatibility across games that support it by reporting whatever hardware revision it wants to see.

If the I/O board does indeed store animations I'd suspect that it would be much more difficult to emulate, the JVS protocol is pretty well documented but I'd guess that these commands all reside in the "manufacturer specific" code range. so it'd be matter of recording the serial data and trying to make sense of it.
OK, just got home, did some more tests;

- Naomi via JVS, works very good
- System 256 with Tekken 5 via JVS, gives the mismatch error
- System 256 with Dragonball Z via JVS, works very good (no Namco animation here like the Tekken games)

If I hook up one of my working System 12 games you would get a message upon boot asking you to load the new display data for this specific game to the display, this process can take up to 10 minuntes or maybe more.
This data is stored until you pop in another board which contains 'display data' and then if would ask you the same upload confirmation.

I tried these things on any of the 'non-working' Namco JVS games:
- Turn OFF the display via the display's setting menu, same mismatch error
- Remove the s-video like connection cable between the JVS I/O and the display's PCB, does not boot at all. The cab also doesn't boot in this situation with working JVS games or Jamma games.

Here is the revision and the PCB of the display:

IMG_8207_zpsfuq8qi82.jpg

IMG_8208_zps8iyafooy.jpg

IMG_8209_zpsn8am718z.jpg

And this is the JVS I/O PCB:

IMG_8204_zps5zpedk3d.jpg

IMG_8205_zpsu8mgp7ys.jpg

IMG_8206_zpsk22fvplj.jpg

This is the test screen from a Naomi:

IMG_8210_zpsvsnkzwxc.jpg

This is the test screen from the System 256 with DBZ via JVS (JVS menu is grayed out):

IMG_8211_zps87ws2hdj.jpg

and this is what I get when I boot Tekken 5 in the System 256:

IMG_8212_zpsd3uhwo2y.jpg

IMG_8213_zpsvsklv7nl.jpg

So a summarization of which games I've tested with my V1.02/V1.03 RED only display when connected directly via JVS:

Namco System 12:
- Ehrgeiz rev. A - works
- Tekken 3 rev. A - works
- Tekken 3 rev. E - error
- Tekken Tag Tournament rev. C - error
- Soul Calibur rev. B - error

Namco System 246/256
- NON Namco games all work
- Tekken 4 - error
- Tekken 5 DR - error

Sega Naomi
- All games work

Other
- JVS-PAC - works

Last edited:
Got a Tekken Tag Tournament PCB last week and it also shows the well known error...
Added it to the list above to get an overview of all boards tested in my cab.

Would love to get my hands on a newer version (dual color) display to connect all boards directly ;)
For now I think I will install a Sega JVS I/O Type 1 in parallel to the Namco one so I can use the JVS controls for Namco boards...

Is there anyone on this forum with a Cyberlead 2 who could confirm newer boards work with the I/O and display?

I can help here, I have a Cyber Lead cab and had this exact issue along with the fact that my I/O board does not work with the JVS-PAC (invzim spent a lot of time trying to help me get it working but unfortunately at this point it still doesn't work)

You're running the 1.03 revision I/O board which runs Tekken 3 and I think Mr Driller along with a couple of other games, I actually managed to swap out my board for one of these (the place I bought my cab from had several others that a friend bought) which worked fine with the JVS-PAC but not with my Soul Calibur board.

They released 3 revisions for the cabinet, 1.03 along with 2.02 and 3.00 (I had no idea about the colours thing but that's pretty cool and makes sense I guess) - I've got the 3.00 in my cabinet, which we could only guess came from the Cyber Lead 2 but couldn't find any more information on it. It has several connectors I have no idea about and could only assume they were for the card readers that were on the Cyber Lead 2. I've never actually been able to find a picture of a Cyber Lead 2 other than the promotional posters that appear on ebay occasionally but I just assumed they were Cyber Lead 1 cabinets with a memory card reader attachment.

Here is a photo of my I/O board

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/File:Cyberlead-ioboard-3-0.jpg

I've only ever seen 1 other I/O board ever come up for sale and I passed the information along to the guy I borrowed the board from, as he accidentally fried one of his I/O boards and needed a replacement. That was a 1.03 revision board, I've not seen a 3.00 board for sale before and could only find 1 or 2 other photos of it even existing. I'd love to purchase a second I/O board just as a spare in case something goes wrong.

I can confirm it works fine with Soul Calibur and it runs the display properly, it takes a little while to load all the data to the display when you first boot the game, but doesn't require this again when you switch it off - https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkw5d7sm1f5o6qe/B2B987EC-59A3-407A-A387-228DE50F8DB4.JPG?dl=0

I'd definitely love to know more about it :)

oh man, I'm so jealous of you right now!
I think it might be easier to buy a Cyberlead 2 cab instead of the separate boards, but if you see any boards/displays for sale, please let me know ;)

I actually have 2 pcb's of Tekken 3, a Revision A board runs where a Revision E board doesn't, so my list above of tested boards.
It already would be a good start to be able to turn the display OFF so I could use these boards via JVS instead of going the JVS/Jamma converter route :(

Do you perhaps have a System 246/256 with Tekken 4/5 available to test if that works with the Rev. 3.00 board?

I haven't yet, I'm in the market for one but only broken ones seem to come up for sale. I may end up buying one from YAJ and just sucking up the huge cost of shipping to get it here.

If you can find a Cyber Lead 2 cabinet for sale, it might be easier to buy that sure, but I've never even seen photos of a CL2 that you can confirm is a CL2, much less seen one for sale anywhere :(

The problem isn't the display. My controller board for the LED display is exactly the same as yours and my Soul Calibur works with that. It's the I/O board. I tried disconnecting the LED display controller board completely to see if the game would boot without it connected on the older revision I/O board and it wouldn't, still gave me the same error. My guess is they changed around the instruction set or maybe added some kind of encryption for whatever reason on the 3.00 revision board (which might explain why the JVS-PAC didn't like it)

I do have a NAOMI/NetDIMM setup running on it right now without any issues and that's running directly off JVS rather than through a Capcom/Sega I/O

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried disabling the display in the display's settings menu but it still throws the I/O revision error.
Disconnecting the display and/or the displays's pcb results in a non booting cab, so that's not a fix either.

I can confirm the cyberlead 2 exists, I saw one for sale in my country one time by rklok.com, here is a pciture of it (bottom of the page);
http://www.nozomi.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3151&start=75

Back