What's new

PascalP

Legendary
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Namco Cyberlead cab and with this I'm having some troubles with some JVS boards.

So far I own and tested these System 12 boards:
- Tekken 3 rev. A - works
- Tekken 3 rev. E - error
- Ehrgeiz rev. A - works
- Soul Calibur rev. B - error

So it looks like a mismatch between the game PCB and the control I/O board.
But I always thought JVS = JVS, but I guess not...

This is the error screen I get:

Last edited:
I remember from when I was looking over compatibility for the J-Pac... Not all JVS I/Os are supported.

I found that strange, because I was under the same impression, JVS is JVS and all the same.
Apparently this is incorrect, minor differences must exist between I/O boards or it would be perfectly supported regardless of maker.

Ok. What am I missing? Those are all JAMMA pcbs. Where does JVS come into play?

Those are all JAMMA pcbs. Where does JVS come into play?
Maybe he means to say he is using a "fill_in_the_blank" JAMMA-to-JVS IO?

That would make a lot more sense, given the spotty support he is experiencing?

Ok, maybe to clarify, those Namco System 12 pcb's mentioned above all have a standard Jamma connection, but they also have full JVS connections.

The I/O board I use is the standard for a Namco Cyberlead cab and also had a double funtion as it also controls the DMD display on top of the cab.

So no Jamma/JVS converters come into play!

Hope this helps!

This is your board - It has a jamma side and a JVS side

zpscazagxgh.jpg

Which of these do you have in you cabinet? You probably have both, When you use JVS show the exact connections and how they are connected that you are using

Jamma to JVS I/O

2.JPG

JVS/LED Marquee I/O

1.JPG

LED Controller
7.JPG

LED Panel

6.JPG

I have all the options as you describe them in my cab, the PCB's listed above are connected with the JVS part directly and I do not use any of the Jamma connectors or adapter.
So directly with a USB from the game PCB to the JVS/LED Marquee I/O.

And as mentioned I have 4 different of these Namco System 12 PCB's of which 2 work and 2 don't.
The non-working boards do work when I connect them via the Jamma to JVS I/O to the Jamma side of the PCB.

So I made a small overview of the situation of how everything is connected:

So I made a small overview of the situation of how everything is connected:
Where are you controls being hooked up?

I don't have any experience with the Cyberlead setup (though I'm totally Jealous of yours)

From your diagram though I'm guessing it dosen't like the fact that you're not using the control I/O board but instead just the LED board. Maybe try running another JVS Cable from the LED "A" port over to the I/O board that you have crossed out.

Also I've heard that pins 1 and 3 on the 60-pin connector need to be jumped in order to activate the board (though this might just be a Sega thing?)

The board which is crossed is stricly the JVS/Jamma adapter which is not needed when connecting a JVS pcb.
The led board and control I/O board are one and the same, this is standard Cyberlead.

As mentioned I have 4 pcb's of which 2 work and 2 don't when connected using the same connection.
Also when I hook up a Sega Naomi via JVS it works.

But thanks for thinking with me, really want to hook up those PCB's and enjoy the LED display :(

So the issues are with the JVS outputs of the 2 non working boards. The boards work with their Jamma connections.

Correct, Jamma works.
Have no other JVS cab to test, so could be the I/O board in my cab as well. As the error message says; mismatch error.
So perhaps some incompatability due to revisions?

Don't know if you have one but this is the manual for the CyberLead cab: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/File:Namco_Cyber_Lead_Manual.pdf

I would think that if some PCBs work then there is probably no issue with your I/O board cables or connections.

It could be a revision/compatibility problem I know not all JVS I/O boards are compatible with all JVS games. Though I would think that all the system 12 games should be compatible with the I/O in the Cyberlead cab.

it could be a setting in the game itself, the Manual while in Japanese made it clear that there's a lot of options in the game to setup the connection to the LED display, so maybe there's a setting for different I/O boards?

Just curious. What region are the working and non-working pcbs?

I think you are missing JVS connections, check inside cab somewhere on top of the coin box and see if there is another board in there. if there is, post a pic.

Then make all connections from the game pcb,vga/audio/jvs-usb to that board.

Then, from that board should be another A & B usb connectors and rca/audio, connect those 2 jvs usb to the I/O board's usb ports,
also the audio rcas to the small audio amp board with he volume knob.

Last edited:
You should have this board somewhere in the cab:

Game PCB goes connected to this

P1020625.JPG

From there, the 2 JVS go to the I/O

P1020618.JPG

Just curious. What region are the working and non-working pcbs?
Just checked, these are the WORKING boards:
Tekken 3 - TET3 Ver. A
Ehrgeiz - EG2 Rev. A/B (A is crossed out and changed to B)

These are the NON-WORKING boards:
Tekken 3 - TET2 Ver. E
Soul Calibur - SOC3 Rev. A/B (A is crossed out and changed to B)

So if my info is correct I have 2 Export (region 3) and 2 USA (region 2) boards.

You should have this board somewhere in the cab:

Game PCB goes connected to this

P1020625.JPG

From there, the 2 JVS go to the I/O

P1020618.JPG
Yes that board is in the cab as well, it is currently NOT connected and all connections bypass this board.
This is the system link board to connect 2 cabs together.

But who knows, I will give it a shot over the weekend and try connecting everything via this board.

Do you know the function of those USB cables as there are 2 going to the I/O board?
Is it a picture of your own cab btw?

The only other thing I can think of is take the 2 top boards (which should be the game roms) from a bad board and put them on one of the good boards and see if they work. Basically do a swap of the motherboards?!

Back