What's new
Much of the motion capture process I have never seen before. I bet the actors would get a kick out of seeing themselves in this video. Your best work yet sir!

Much of the motion capture process I have never seen before. I bet the actors would get a kick out of seeing themselves in this video. Your best work yet sir!
Awesome, so glad you liked it so much.

It always blew my mind that such an awesome game was made in my home town.
I happened to remember a time when Bally/Midway was salting the local Chicagoland arcades with cabinets for promotion.
My arcade was at Chicago Ridge Mall, Alladin's Castle.
They would get just about anything brand new.
I can picture clearly the day I ran into Mortal Kombat, dead center of the arcade.
It was the first time I saw SFII pushed to the side.
Week after week, MK took on an audience, and an additional secondary monitor for crowds to watch.
The graphics, blood, voices, and secrets really made Street Fighter 2 look stupid.

Last edited:
Good effort on the vid, audio just needs some balancing out. I watched it even though for someone like me, its nothing new, there are so many MK docus out there now. But for ppl that dont follow the franchise it covers a good amount of ground.

While I have literally played MK 1|2 to death. It still puts a smile on my face owning the machine I maintained and operated on back when MKII released. I still remember the morning 2 of them came in, setting them up right out front 45 from each other. The first week ppl would come in and give them 2nd looks. After that, it was just lines out the door...

Good effort on the vid, audio just needs some balancing out. I watched it even though for someone like me, its nothing new, there are so many MK docus out there now. But for ppl that dont follow the franchise it covers a good amount of ground.

While I have literally played MK 1|2 to death. It still puts a smile on my face owning the machine I maintained and operated on back when MKII released. I still remember the morning 2 of them came in, setting them up right out front 45 from each other. The first week ppl would come in and give them 2nd looks. After that, it was just lines out the door...
A couple of the people said the audio was terrible but then other people I have asked that it was perfectly fine so I don't know what to do.

If you look at the history of my channel I tried to do videos on games that haven't been done to death such as Mortal Kombat or super Mario. I had a lot of requests for this one which is why I finally ended up doing it plus there were a few interesting things to talk about

Keep up the good work @patmanqc -- I appreciate the effort and research in your videos.

A couple of the people said the audio was terrible but then other people I have asked that it was perfectly fine so I don't know what to do.
If you look at the history of my channel I tried to do videos on games that haven't been done to death such as Mortal Kombat or super Mario. I had a lot of requests for this one which is why I finally ended up doing it plus there were a few interesting things to talk about
At least you are taking the time to research and put things together. As I said, I've pretty much watched and researched a ton of MK stuff, so I am a little different than your avg viewer. The audio wasnt terrible at all, just need to lvl it out a little in some areas, far from "terrible" imo.

Except Johnny Cage obviously. I bet he is still sore that he didn't get rich off it.

I was always surprised when I heard people talk about MK1 as a contender to SF2. It was nowhere near as popular or profitable. More importantly, it wasn't a great game. It's popularity was based on the blood / fatality novelty (which was kinda fun the first few times). As far as arcade fighters go, MK1 wasn't even in the top 10.

MK did not become a genuinely good game until MK3. Mk2 was ok as a 2 player game but playing agAinst the CPU was just frustrating and unsatisfying. MK4 just plain sucked but MK5 on the PS3 is the best of all IMO.

No 1 on 1 fighter has ever beaten SF2 in gameplay, popularity or profitability. People still play it regularly to this day. While there are tons of great Capcom fighters, they were all based on SF2.

I was always surprised when I heard people talk about MK1 as a contender to SF2. It was nowhere near as popular or profitable. More importantly, it wasn't a great game. It's popularity was based on the blood / fatality novelty (which was kinda fun the first few times). As far as arcade fighters go, MK1 wasn't even in the top 10.

MK did not become a genuinely good game until MK3. Mk2 was ok as a 2 player game but playing agAinst the CPU was just frustrating and unsatisfying. MK4 just plain sucked but MK5 on the PS3 is the best of all IMO.

No 1 on 1 fighter has ever beaten SF2 in gameplay, popularity or profitability. People still play it regularly to this day. While there are tons of great Capcom fighters, they were all based on SF2.
In my opinion streetfighter two was the king But You can't argue with the franchises that's been around for 25 years. The first Mortal Kombat game was a huge success and like I said my video the novelty was the blood but there was a decent game underneath as well. Mortal Kombat 2 is my all-time favorite in the franchise

Keep up the good work @patmanqc -- I appreciate the effort and research in your videos.
Thank you very much, my channel is still very small and I seem to be having trouble growing it for some reason. Please subscribe if you haven't already. Thanks

Your opinion on MKs is yours. I personally don't compare MK and SF. You also left out one huge major difference.

US Dev of a fighting game Vs JP Dev of a fighting game.

Now by all means please list all successful and profitable US made fighting game franchises over 25 years old.

Not all MK fans were attracted by the blood and gore.

Your opinion on MKs is yours. I personally don't compare MK and SF. You also left out one huge major difference.
US Dev of a fighting game Vs JP Dev of a fighting game.

Now by all means please list all successful and profitable US made fighting game franchises over 25 years old.

Not all MK fans were attracted by the blood and gore.
Um... everyone's opinion is their own.... even yours.

I am not saying that the MK series wasn't a commercial success in the 90's. Just that it was nowhere close to the commercial success of SF2. The reality is that Midway went bankrupt in 2009, even with the MK rights.

My opinions on MK1 are hardly unique to me. It got got very average reviews at the time because it is not a great game. It's not terrible. Just not a top 10 fighter.

And, who cares where it was made. Almost all of the best games ever made were not made in America. All of the best fighters were made in Japan.

It's popularity was based on the blood / fatality novelty (which was kinda fun the first few times). As far as arcade fighters go, MK1 wasn't even in the top 10.
Serious question, if MK1 wasn't top 10 in 1992 then what were the top 10 arcade fighters at the time?

Um... everyone's opinion is their own.... even yours.
I am not saying that the MK series wasn't a commercial success in the 90's. Just that it was nowhere close to the commercial success of SF2. The reality is that Midway went bankrupt in 2009, even with the MK rights.

My opinions on MK1 are hardly unique to me. It got got very average reviews at the time because it is not a great game. It's not terrible. Just not a top 10 fighter.

And, who cares where it was made. Almost all of the best games ever made were not made in America. All of the best fighters were made in Japan.
Opinions Vs reality are 2 completely different things. You find it odd ppl compare SF to MK, yet you are doing exactly that.

SF2 Arcade Sales were a commercial success globally. Well over 60k+ arcade units of WW were sold. With CE selling over 100k+
"Who cares where it was made" MK was a commercial success within the US market and sold over 25k+ arcade units. MK2 sold over 30k+. While it was not a global success, that is huge for not only a US made fighting game, but arcade sales in an over saturated market.

Software Sales:
Tekken 3 destroys every other fighting game, period (Smash is not a fighting game, but if you feel it is it, it more than doubled the highest SF Title)
Capcom's highest software sales was World Warrior at about 6.3M
Mortal Kombat 1 sold over 6M
Mortal Kombat X sold over 5M
SFIV Vanilla only sold 3.4M

Midway's closing has nothing to do with MK's rights. All you have to do is look at those years and all the poor management decisions, handfuls of cancelled projects in development, dev teams rushed getting projects out in 8 month to a year cut time frames, and understand why the Company failed. It is well documented that if it weren't for MK Midway wouldn't have lasted years longer than it did.

"Japan makes the best games"

If you know the industry at all, any Video Arcade Game that sold over 10K units was considered a success. Many Companies failed doing this all around the world. So when games like Defender and Centipede designed and programmed in the US sold over 60,000 units each and the only titles above it are games like Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong, its a big deal from a Japan dominated market.

Most of the Street Fighter Series total sales are combined btw. So 200,000 units sold is World Warrior and CE combined, which is 2 different titles with the inflation of Hyper sales. This is yet another reason I don't even compare the 2 and I didn't even get into the differences of the games themselves.

Back