What's new

djsheep

Multi Boyz Overlord
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Decided to put some time into Darius Gaiden EXTRA tonight on the F3 Multi and realised that in Zone D the background layer is missing. See video:

I've re-seated the multi, re-updated the firmware, reformatted/copied the Transcend 4GB SD card that came with it and also tried an alternate SD card. Motherboard is ultra clean, and every other game I've chucked at it seems to work fine thus far.

Anyone else with this problem - or have their F3 handy to check? Any troubleshooting suggestions? Thanks.

Oh, its a multi problem. I saw the title yesterday and thought it was a PCB.

Let me check today what mine does!

Thanks @rewrite - hopefully it’s just a bad rom dump in the pack and not a multi/motherboard problem. No background on that stage is the true shmup skill tester ;)

I noticed something - it disappears when the layer would normally cover up your ship (to make it look like you're flying through clouds of dust) and then just stays black. Not sure if the temporary layer is anything to do with it but still.

Weird.

@xodaraP -- yep, there's a little pause there when it happens, like it's loading the layer or something. It happens on the videos of Zone D that I watched on YouTube too. Theirs loads, mine seems to be missing. Did you have a chance to check yours yet @rewrite (ping).

Did you have a chance to check yours yet @rewrite (ping).
I forgot yesterday, but I checked this morning when I saw you'd mentioned me, and I get the same thing. Little pause, then missing background.
Thank you very much. Glad to know it’s not just me. I might try hunt down another ROM and try that first. Any ideas why this could be @Darksoft

Did you compare the same ROM between Mame und the F3 Multi?

Did you compare the same ROM between Mame und the F3 Multi?
No. I don’t have MAME unfortunately. I’m using the roll up pack posted on here if anyone has the time to check.

There's a MAME gameplay video on YouTube (which is where I saw what is supposed to happen) and it works

There is something going on for sure. I use the F3 Roll-Up Pack and a 2GB SD card.
I put some credits and on stage1 after the underground section the background was like that:

without resetting or anything I left the countdown to finish and started a new game, this time the background was normal:

I hope this report helps somehow to fix this issue.

Anyone else with this problem
I was waiting for someone else to chime in with the zone D bkdg gfx issue, glad it's not just me. A very minor problem so I was just gonna live with it. Hopefully with more folks playing through Extra, we can find other problems to help narrow down the issue (just like prior post).

I can confirm that the Stage D background bug happens on my multi too. It occurs with both:
dariusgx - Darius Gaiden - Silver Hawk Extra Version (Ver 2.7O 1995/03/06) (Official Hack)
dariusgxj - Darius Gaiden - Silver Hawk Extra Version (Ver 2.7J 1995/03/06) (Official Hack)

To rule out any rom-related issues I just loaded up the original patched rom and it acts the same.

Last edited:
Has anyone cleared the stage without dying on the missing background yet?

Lol, people complain about hard-to-see bullets in Battle Garegga. How about invisible enemies!

Now I wanna see someone 1cc Spiritual Larsa in Futari with missing bullets...

I can handle the Garegga bullets, what shits me is the bullets in Ibara!

Nope, Sorry. Honestly we can't have a look at this yet. We'll try after we finish the next batch of AES and CPS2 in production.

Back