What's new

KalessinDB

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I got a G-Net a while ago, and flashed the multi bios. It went through multiple bars, and it seemed to finish successfully (I let it sit for several minutes with nothing moving). Then I started trying to run flashed games, and nothing worked. First cards I tried to run I had bought off Darksoft as "Not working in Naomi CF loading" so I accepted they probably wouldn't work, but the price was right. But then I bought a normal Transcend card and it still wouldn't work, no matter how I flashed it.

So tonight, @Coyo5050 helpfully came over with his working G-Net board and supergun, and we juggled things around a bit for testing purposes. As far as I can tell, the motherboard is somehow dead -- his known working CF game wouldn't work on my board, either with my cabinet or with his supergun, both of which ran his known working motherboard just fine. I even tried to re-plug in the multi bios to flash it again, and nothing happened. Other than "Buy a new board" (which is my normal way of fixing problems), does anyone have troubleshooting steps?

Pretend I'm an idiot who wouldn't even know where to start testing with a multimeter, because you're not far off.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Also, if anyone has a working pre-flashed board for sale, I'll buy it. Throwing money at the problem is usually how I fix shit in this hobby it seems :P )

Ok, I got the “idiot” troubleshooting step for you..

Try flashing again with a known good bios.

Remember, you add a jumper and the bios, then flash, then remove the jumper and the bios.

Ok, I got the “idiot” troubleshooting step for you..

Try flashing again with a known good bios.

Remember, you add a jumper and the bios, then flash, then remove the jumper and the bios.
Tried that today with my @skate323k137 burned bios. Absolutely nothing, blank black screen.

Ah well, worth a shot. Only other easy thing I can think is to make sure none of the surface mount stuff got loose, or fell off, especially a capacitor. On other ps1 platforms, like namco sys11, they are prone to breaking off.

Ah well, worth a shot. Only other easy thing I can think is to make sure none of the surface mount stuff got loose, or fell off, especially a capacitor. On other ps1 platforms, like namco sys11, they are prone to breaking off.
Not a bad call, definitely appreciate the thought.

The only other thing worth noting (and I doubt it means anything) is that my board is like this one with the "Back Up PCB" next to the card loading PCB (the one with either the really weird looking batteries or the really big capacitors) and his was like this other one that didn't have it.

But that doesn't explain why mine is doing literally nothing. I suppose I can try a visual inspection and/or unplug/reseating the various mini PCBs if nothing else.

Just a thought. Is that extra piece required for that board? Prob doesnt matter but maybe that takes a possible issue out of the picture. Get that multimeter and like ekorz said look board over. Any reason to think that bios chip could be troublesome ive had chips die randomly and really bad times.

Just a thought. Is that extra piece required for that board? Prob doesnt matter but maybe that takes a possible issue out of the picture. Get that multimeter and like ekorz said look board over. Any reason to think that bios chip could be troublesome ive had chips die randomly and really bad times.
Both good thoughts... chips are cheap enough, I'll get another one burned I suppose, use a different jumper wire, start making every change I can. I feel as though I'm gonna end up getting a second board though lol

I've had to desolder the flash holding the bios and manually program and resolder it to fix a pcb that did this before.

I've had to desolder the flash holding the bios and manually program and resolder it to fix a pcb that did this before.
That sounds way beyond my level of expertise... probably cheaper than buying a new board though if it works.

If you have time to look at repair work, let me know. But I know your plate is pretty full...

Looks like this PCB is about to find its way onto my desk. Any chance you could pass along which flash this is on the board? Save me some deducing.

If was on my desk last year. Good luck to you, sir.

I'll need to try to find my PCB to look which flash.

It worked but not on every boot. It was very picky.

Back