What's new

md5fungi

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a retro game/console collector that decided it was time to invest in a Neo Geo MVS, after wanting one for a very long time.

I've tentatively decided to go the route of the Neo Geo Omega.

I've won some relatively tame bidding wars on MVS carts already, so I'm pretty pleased with the starting point I'll have for my collection. It definitely seems like this system is going to much more difficult to collect for than the other consoles I own (Vectrex, PC-Engine, Atari 2600), but I'm to the challenge.

I'm also thinking about getting a Darksoft Multicart when the distributor in the U.S. reopens. After lurking on these forums, the support for this cart seems really good!

I welcome and appreciate any advice when it comes to collecting for the Neo Geo MVS!

I have a retrogaming review blog in which I drink various adult beverages while playing games:

www.retrodrunk.com

I've only two posts in the last year, but hopefully that improves, and I'll definitely get the Neo Geo and other arcade game reviews in the mix eventually. I live near a retro arcade (mostly 80s cabs) with ~300 cabs, so it's one of my favorite places to spend time at.

Anyway, I'm happy to join up here, and looking forward to good discussion!

Last edited:
Welcome. Nice to know that you still have that big arcades around :) DS multi is pretty good you would love it. Never had a Vectrex - I was playing Spacewars (PDP-1) on FPGA today and that kinda reminded me of Vectrex maybe in the future I would get one.

Edit Spacewars was apparently ported to Vectrex too! I am trying to learn how to carry out gravitation slingshot using the the star in the middle instead of crashing into it, reminds me of how outer space rockets actually gain velocity mid voyage !

Hi! Yeah, I live in a decently small town (700k metro), and we for some reason have an amazing arcade; hope it only gets bigger!

I really need to play Space Wars. I always walk by it like one would to a museum piece, but I never have brought myself to play it. Next time!

I really need to play Space Wars. I always walk by it like one would to a museum piece, but I never have brought myself to play it. Next time!
Damn your arcade has Spacewars arcade machine? Thats brilliant.

Play the games in mame before trying to purchase them.

You might find you dont like a game you would have otherwise wasted good money on.

With that said, there are a ton of great titles on the system, and some extremely overrated ones too.

Take your time, and wait for the deals.

Welcome!
NeoGeo is a good place to start, that's where I started.
Learn how to recap boards, watch MyLifeInGaming's videos on RGB on youtube, buy your first Universe Bios, and start downloading manuals.

Once you get a taste of what else can run via JAMMA, you thirst for it more.
The screwy old games you never got a chance to play, were never released on home consoles, or emulation never delivered.
A lot of the above is why we're here.

My Photoblog in my signature has lots of NeoGeo PCB documentation of MV1FZ, MV1FS, and MV2F boards.
Feel free to browse and take whatever I posted for repairs/reference.

Play the games in mame before trying to purchase them.

You might find you dont like a game you would have otherwise wasted good money on.

With that said, there are a ton of great titles on the system, and some extremely overrated ones too.

Take your time, and wait for the deals.
Yeah - I'm aware of the common pitfalls when collecting old games. That being said, I have a great appreciation for the historic "value" of old games: the building blocks of gaming, so to speak. If I play a game that came out five years ago and it's mediocre, I'm not very forgiving. Retro games tend to have a unique charm (unless they are blatant ripoffs of other games), and I really enjoy the experimentation that seemed to go on when it came to game design back in the day.
Welcome!
NeoGeo is a good place to start, that's where I started.
Learn how to recap boards, watch MyLifeInGaming's videos on RGB on youtube, buy your first Universe Bios, and start downloading manuals.

Once you get a taste of what else can run via JAMMA, you thirst for it more.
The screwy old games you never got a chance to play, were never released on home consoles, or emulation never delivered.
A lot of the above is why we're here.

My Photoblog in my signature has lots of NeoGeo PCB documentation of MV1FZ, MV1FS, and MV2F boards.
Feel free to browse and take whatever I posted for repairs/reference.
Thanks for the info! I'm actually a computer engineer by degree, and I've been looking for interesting electronic projects to do ever since I graduated 8 years ago... This kind of stuff would be pretty fun, if I could devote the time to it!

Welcome @md5fungi, I live three hours away from you in Logan UT, and make it up to Boise 2 - 3 times a year. Boise is a fun town - they have Grinkers, one of the best arcades I've ever been to. There's some decent retro console shopping around there too. Neo Geo is a great arcade platform to start with - I also went the Omega CMVS route. Once you get your fill on Neo Geo, take a look at the other platforms Darksoft has created a Multi for like CPS2, Taito F3, and Sega ST-V. There's a lot of quality games to explore!

Let me know if you'd like to meet up sometime. :D

Welcome. Good luck with your collecting. I started collecting MVS carts earlier this year. What are some of your wishlist titles? Are you going to be using your OMEGA on a CRT or are you using a Framemeister or OSSC on a modern tv?

Welcome. Good luck with your collecting. I started collecting MVS carts earlier this year. What are some of your wishlist titles? Are you going to be using your OMEGA on a CRT or are you using a Framemeister or OSSC on a modern tv?
So my thinking was that I may not need to upscale as I have a Samsung LCD TV, and I've heard those can do pretty well without one.

I just received my Omega today and hooked it up with component cables and... It looks and sounds fantastic! I don't see any sort of artifacts or shimmering. Not sure if I need an upscaler at this point...

So my thinking was that I may not need to upscale as I have a Samsung LCD TV, and I've heard those can do pretty well without one.
I just received my Omega today and hooked it up with component cables and... It looks and sounds fantastic! I don't see any sort of artifacts or shimmering. Not sure if I need an upscaler at this point..
The OSSC is probably the killer app for solving most scaling issues.
There's really nothing I can throw at it to trip it up.
It's worth it's price.

Back