What's new

Spicules

Student
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a Konami Punchmania / Fighting Mania game.

It has the Japanese version of the game.

I originally got it with a blown out motor, and was lucky enough to find a motor with the same specs as the original and got it working.

Looking online, I'm still kinda confused how this system works.

It looks like maybe the game installs from the CD and then makes a check for a memorycard/dongle, but there are patched versions of the game(s), that don't check for the dongle?

What I wanted to do is get the English version on this somehow.

Is it possible to make a cd of the MAME chd and install it? I can't seem to find a legit copy of the English version (or really for any of these games).

I also have an RTC error, but it sounds like I'd have to get that fixed first to install on there anyway;

Regardless, I am planning to send off to Winbigarcade.com to get the RTC chip upgraded (I do not like working on double-sided boards like that, so I'm not taking chances).

But is it possible to do what I want? Change from JP to ENG versions?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Hey there! I own two Fighting Mania cabinets (the korean release). It's been a few years since I've messed with any of it. The 573 initially reads data from the CD, installs main game data onto the CF card, and reads most game data off the CD-ROM. There are patched CD-ROMs that don't check for the security. I don't have an image handy, but I do have a burnt disc in my cabinet that I would rip for you.

I also do RTC repairs on 573 units.. so if you'd like to send your board for that and have it tested in a working machine feel free to PM me. Otherwise I'll work on getting the CD ripped so you can use it.

The six sensors will probably need to be calibrated and cleaned once you get the 573 up and running. My first stab at getting a Punchmania working took a few months.

Cheers!

Sorry this is off-topic but are these system 573s worth anything? I recently picked one up with fisherman's bait in a cabinet I wanted to convert. Are there any good games I should consider? Seems like there's not much info about these online besides Japanese releases I don't recognize.

They're not worth a whole lot. Most of the games running on the hardware are music games with unique controllers (DDR, Drummania, Guitar Freaks etc).

For regular stick and button games there's just Konami 80's Arcade Gallery and Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (baseball).

If you can find yourself a Bishi Bashi panel, there's Hyper Bishi Bashi and Salaryman Champ.

I always wanted one of these (like a Fisherman's Bait or something) specifically for the 80's arcade gallery game. I never had any luck finding a decrypted CD-ROM image or anything so I gave up.

• Does it just burn and play? I might just find some CD-Rs and try it.

If you didnt solve your problem I got a cd version of fighting mania (the english version) that doesn't need the security cart.

I also have 2 Konami whole Konami 573 system with original fighting mania game and cart (English version) I would greatly be interested in the Japanese version, punch mania 1 or punch mania 2 would be amazing

It might be possible to have the Japanese version too but mine has a problem and reboot each time the game is over.

It would be nice too if someone knows how to play the second version of the game (punch mania hokuto no ken 2) on this cab, I ve seen a video on YouTube someone playing it at the mag fest few years ago on a fighting mania cab (not the punch mania jap cab) so it should be possible, I tried to find how since 3 years I would pay a lot to play it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey there! I own two Fighting Mania cabinets (the korean release). It's been a few years since I've messed with any of it. The 573 initially reads data from the CD, installs main game data onto the CF card, and reads most game data off the CD-ROM. There are patched CD-ROMs that don't check for the security. I don't have an image handy, but I do have a burnt disc in my cabinet that I would rip for you.

I also do RTC repairs on 573 units.. so if you'd like to send your board for that and have it tested in a working machine feel free to PM me. Otherwise I'll work on getting the CD ripped so you can use it.

The six sensors will probably need to be calibrated and cleaned once you get the 573 up and running. My first stab at getting a Punchmania working took a few months.

Cheers!
OMG please tell me you still exist and come around now and then...! I am trying to fix my (Korean ver) Fighting Mania cabinet and get this... Whoever I bought it from STOLE the frickin' CD drive out of it WITH the power cable! I picked up a new CD/DVD drive, hopefully it works, but I took it for granted that I would have a Molex power cable that fit it, and none of mine do. Searching for "4 pin Molex power drive to board" etc. isn't specific enough, I need the exact form factor for what this 573 takes. Do you happen to know, and where I could get one? The two stock pics here are the sorts of wire I was trying and it did NOT fit, the head is barely too small/tight to reach over all 4 pins.

Also I have an RTC error too, but... if this can be played without fixing that, I'm ready to ignore it for now, lol. Having a CD drive is a little more important right now, I couldn't even reinstall if it came to that at this point!

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_100346229.jpg
    IMG_20210728_100346229.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20210728_100426152.jpg
    IMG_20210728_100426152.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20210728_100518581.jpg
    IMG_20210728_100518581.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 133
  • see small head bad 2.jpg
    see small head bad 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 124
  • see small head bad.jpg
    see small head bad.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 108
I had no idea what any of that writing meant, so thank you nem! I'll see if I can find one of those.... What's involved in crimping? I definitely don't have a specialized tool for that... I do have a soldering iron?

I had no idea what any of that writing meant, so thank you nem! I'll see if I can find one of those.... What's involved in crimping? I definitely don't have a specialized tool for that... I do have a soldering iron?
Well for closure's sake, way back in like August of 2021 lol, after looking around the internet for a few weeks, I could NOT find such a connector. So, to whoever sees this in the future, you should know.

Staring at the Molex power connector I had as shown in the pics in my previous post, I was thinking to myself, "this thing isn't even useful in my modern computer, what with SATA drives and all, and I have like 5 of these. This is literally my only purpose for it, these are going the way of the dodo." So I stared at the keyed notch in the head to figure out how it would have connected, would it have fit, and figured, that's got to be the order these wires are supposed to go in.

And I cut the small head off the other end of the wire. I stripped the yellow, black, black, and red wires, and straight up soldered the wires directly to the pins. That sucker ain't coming off.

Fired it up, powers up fine. Put in the CD, re-imaged the RAM, I am back in business!! It has worked the past two years!

Back