What's new
I am waiting for some parts to arrive to complete the first batch of Parsec Superguns. Several parts were back ordered so my assembly process was delayed a couple weeks.

I'm considering offering the Parsec in kit form, but I'm not sure the best way to do this.

I suppose I could make up a preorder list. I have 30 bare Parsec v1.1 PCBs on hand, which I will assemble in batches of 10.
I could offer the Parsec about $10 cheaper without the ebay or tindie fees.
No deposit required, just send me a PM and I will let you know what number you are.

I'm thinking February 17 I will have the first Parsec v1.1 Superguns assembled, tested, and available. While all I need to do is finish the assembly of the through hole components, it's still very time consuming (especially the JAMMA connector.)

Here's the new component video hat for the Parsec. It works on v1.0 and v1.1.

It's more of an adapter board for Viletim's component video board which was designed for the NESRGB. I've found this to be an excellent RGB to component video converter with no lag. The only downside is this outputs a 240p component signal, which is not compatible with most newer TVs. I was thinking of designing my own circuit, but I don't think there would be enough sales to justify the work and I wanted a quick solution that is known to work well.

It will be some time before I have these available. The priority right now is getting the main supergun PCBs built.

Attachments

• IMG_0755s.jpg
    IMG_0755s.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0753s.jpg
    IMG_0753s.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 339
I am waiting for some parts to arrive to complete the first batch of Parsec Superguns. Several parts were back ordered so my assembly process was delayed a couple weeks.

I'm considering offering the Parsec in kit form, but I'm not sure the best way to do this.

I suppose I could make up a preorder list. I have 30 bare Parsec v1.1 PCBs on hand, which I will assemble in batches of 10.
I could offer the Parsec about $10 cheaper without the ebay or tindie fees.
No deposit required, just send me a PM and I will let you know what number you are.

I'm thinking February 17 I will have the first Parsec v1.1 Superguns assembled, tested, and available. While all I need to do is finish the assembly of the through hole components, it's still very time consuming (especially the JAMMA connector.)
PM sent.

Mine just arrived in the mail and wanted to share the excitement. Once I dialed in the sync with the OSSC everything came to life brilliantly!

Attachments

• parsec.jpg
    parsec.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 379
  • parsec2.jpg
    parsec2.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 380
Mine just arrived in the mail and wanted to share the excitement. Once I dialed in the sync with the OSSC everything came to life brilliantly!
What are you using for a power supply? How are you connecting it to the OSSC? Looks good.

What are you using for a power supply? How are you connecting it to the OSSC? Looks good.
Right now I'm just testing everything, so the giant mess I made is just feeding the OSSC via D-Sub 15 and powering it off a spare AX750 PSU. I'm definitely going to be moving it to a proper power supply and I've got a genesis-SCART cable in the mail for video. Once I can stop playing, I'll start trying to figure out where things will actually live.

Where are you measuring voltage from?

I wouldn't call 12.3V out of spec. The audio amp IC is rated for much higher than 12V.

+5V is the important voltage, and this will have a much larger power draw than the +12V line, meaning the latter will always sit a bit higher.

Measure from the arcade board itself, from the jamma pins if you can access them. Then tell me what voltage you receive, it should read lower.

It's just the way power supplies work, even arcade ones. 10 amps drawn from 5V, less than 1 amp from 12V. 5V is regulated, 12V isn't. The extra push required on the power hungry 5V line raises the 12V line. 5V is regulated as the components running on 5V are highly sensitive to voltage, 12V is only used for audio amps which happily run from 9V to 24V.

Measuring from the board gives the same results. Could this be happening since the -5v regulator is drawing power from the 12v supply?

In any case, if the 12v is for audio I'll just let it rock. Now to see if my old LCD can give me video lol.

Just to clarify, measuring voltage from the jamma pins of the CPS board or of the supergun?

Correct voltage on the +12v supply isn't as critical as the +5v supply is. I would say 12.3V is fine.

The -5v regulator on the Parsec can handle up to 14 volts so it won't damage anything on the Parsec.

Perhaps my instructions were a bit conservative with the recommended +12v range. I didn't do any max voltage testing on my JAMMA boards so I just took the max voltage my particular power supply had at its ouputs.

It won't matter if you measure voltage on the test points or the JAMMA pins, what causes the voltage reading to change is if there is a load or not.

Mine arrived today, will let you know how it goes soon!

I am currently sold out of the first batch of 10 Parsec v1.1 PCBs. I am now working on the next batch of 10 which I hope to have ready early April.

Thank you everyone that ordered one!

Someone inquired about making top and bottom protective plates for the Parsec. I'm not sure how well a top plate would work due to the many switches and buttons being top mounted, but a bottom plate would work well.

I attached a drawing of the Parsec PCB dimensions The corner mounting screws are 3mm.

Attachments

• PARSEC v1.1 dimensions.jpg
    PARSEC v1.1 dimensions.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 368
I don't get how the component video works? All I see is 3 X RCA jacks but where is the conversion from RGB taking place? I'm thrown off by the VileTim adapter comment?

Back