What's new
Stereo sound coming from an auxiliary header CAN be connected using the deluxe hat board I offer as an add-on.

The deluxe hat board has a 1/8" stereo audio connector that's wired to the 8p mini-DIN A/V output connector of the Parsec. Using the auxiliary audio option requires a 1/8" audio plug be inserted into the "audio line out" connector on the Parsec main board to disable JAMMA audio.
I got around to testing this and it works great. Can easily pass thru stereo from boards that support it.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpeg
    IMG_2674.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 535
Looking forward to the next batch. Please put me on the list.

Hello Low Budget, how does Parsec V2.1 handle Medium Res games (System 24) ? Does it scale the video to VGA (like GBS-8220) ?

This looks nice
Does it output VGA?
It looks like it will use 12v and give you -5v from it if the PSU does not have it
Is that true?

If so please put me on the list for one

It's going to be some time before I have more Parsec superguns available. Current E.T.A. is late summer or early fall.
I'm taking a break from assembling these at the moment.

I will announce when pre-orders are open again.

I do not have any medium or high resolution arcade games to test with Parsec. I do know the composite video, s-video, and component video will only work with standard resolution games. RGB output might work, but I'm not sure exactly how the EL1883 would handle the sync signal. I would say RGB video output of a medium resolution game is possible but unconfirmed at the moment.

The hat board on the Parsec does have a VGA style connector but it only outputs RGB video and has a switch for selecting composite sync or separate horizontal and vertical sync mode. For VGA video output, a GBS8200 or similar converter can be used.

The Parsec on-board regulator provides -5v at up to 1A using +12v input from the ATX power supply. The regulator can be switched off and bypassed also.

It's going to be some time before I have more Parsec superguns available. Current E.T.A. is late summer or early fall.
Just wondering if you were still on track for that or if COVID-19 threw some wrenches in that plan?
There has been some issues getting certain parts lately.
I normally get the JAMMA connectors on ebay, but there are far fewer people selling them and the price is higher.
The Viletim component video board I use for the hat boards is currently out of stock, which means I will be out of stock.

I have been offering bare unassembled Parsec v2.1 boards (with parts list) on Tindie, but I am currently out of stock.

I will have more assembled v2.1 Parsec superugns available late June on www.tindie.com

Last edited:
I am nearly sold out of the v2.1 Parsec supergun PCB, so I have given it a small redesign and ordered another batch.

The new PCB v2.2 will have the following improvements:
  • 2oz copper finish (instead of 1.5oz)
  • Wider power traces for 5v, -5v, and 12v
  • Through-hole resistors replacing SMT resistors in audio attenuation circuit
  • HAT board now has 5v pads for cleaner install of the optional voltmeter

Since I am having difficulty building any significant quantity of Parsec superguns on my own, I am looking for an assembler. If somebody reading this has some free time and good soldering ability, I would be interested in "hiring" you. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me for details of my proposal.

I will have 3 more of the assembled v2.1 Parsec Superguns available July 10th.

Maybe look into machine assembly. I'm shifting all my PCBs to this format as like you I struggle to find the time.

Since I am having difficulty building any significant quantity of Parsec superguns on my own, I am looking for an assembler.

[snip]

I will have 3 more of the assembled v2.1 Parsec Superguns available July 10th.
No wonder I can't ever get my hands on one. I saw the email that came 20 minutes ago and it's already sold out =(

Will the 2.2 be on the same tindie page? or will there be a new one? It's already so difficult to get, I don't want to miss out cuz i'm following the wrong page...

Would you consider just making a waitlist and filling the waitlist in order as you produce them? I imagine it'd be easier for me to queue up in a list of 50, than to try and fight for 3 units against who knows how many people... with no consistent restock schedule...

I'm willing to wait on it, but to constantly check and see no updates, and then get an email and miss out because i was 15 minutes late. and needing to continue to constantly check sucks.

Last edited:
Just got mine all soldered up... I didn't receive the encoder chip from the eBay seller until the following day, after this picture was taken. A very easy build, took maybe an hour to 90 minutes.

I tested the voltages out today, and everything seems to be within spec. I don't have any JAMMA boards yet, but, have one on the way to test it out with. Thanks for a relaxing soldering project, and, for selling blank PCBs and providing a BOM, so I didn't have to wait to get one assembled. Every time I'd get an in-stock notification, by the time I checked my email 10 minutes after sent, they were all sold out :(

Attachments

• parsec.jpg
    parsec.jpg
    797.6 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I am officially starting a pre order list for assembled v2.2 Parsec superguns. PM me to be added to the list.
I also have the unassembled Parsec v2.2 PCB available on tindie https://www.tindie.com/products/low...bare-pcb-play-jamma-arcade/?pt=ac_prod_search

After a couple Parsec users had problems with short circuiting and PCB damage, I wanted to advise using caution with JAMMA adapters.

It seems that some JAMMA to capcom, JAMMA to Sega, etc type adapters have JAMMA edge connectors that are too narrow and allow side to side movement inside the Parsec's female JAMMA connector. This can cause a short circuit and damage.

Please check pin alignment when using JAMMA adapters before turning on the power supply, and also it's good to check they are correctly wired (especially handmade ones.)

The composite output on my parsec seems kind of dim.

Is this normal?

just got my parsec today and hooked it up, its a thing of beauty, crisp clean signals and audio, a massive improvement over my old supergun, just need a kick harness to go with it

Back