What's new
@Sp33dFr34k you could connect both (real keyboard for initial config and JVSPAC) on different USB ports of RPi ;)

Yeah it is physically possible, but I thought the keyboard stopped registering keystrokes, but @PascalP tried it so maybe he can confirm. I will check it out anyhow :)

they are configured with default mame keyboard layout, check if advancemame is configured with this layout

Okay great @Scandy, will first try to get samba running to copy some roms and then I will take pictures for you :)
Will also have a look regarding the JVS-PAC, but I thought that the keyboard wouldn't work anymore once you plug in the JVS-PAC @PascalP?
yeah we had some issues that the USB keyboard didn't respond correctly to inputs when the JVSPAC was plugged it.
But we also did plug the JVSPAC in AFTER the Pi booted and it didn't respond at all then, so we might need to plug both in before booting on our next run :)

@PascalP I'd just try to connect everything just before boot.

If real keyboard works, you could use it to assign JVS-PAC buttons to AdvanceMAME using the main menu (after loading a ROM).

they are configured with default mame keyboard layout, check if advancemame is configured with this layout
https://www.advancemame.it/doc-advmame#3
Thanks, does the below mean that AdvanceMAME only supports 3 buttons per player via the keyboard? For the gamepad layout it shows 6 keys. Or am I reading this wrong here? :)

Code:
for player 1 you can use the keys:

1	Play.
5	Insert coin.
ARROW	Move.
CTRL	First button.
ALT	Second button.
SPACE	Third button.
for player 2 you can use the keys:

2	Play.
6	Insert coin.
R, F, D, G	Move.
A	First button.
S	Second button.
Q	Third button.

I remember jvs pac is recognized as 2 HID devices plugged in simultaneously, I guess two keyboards ? best thing is to ask @invzim
The original no longer available JVS-PAC behaves like a keyboard by default, and mappings are mame friendly:
http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=operation

The PS3 version of the firmware presents itself as 2 USB-HID joypads, originally made for PS3 but works well on PC too.

Okay, so I got a bit further :)

- Configured samba so I can wirelessly add roms
- JVS-PAC doesn't work via advmame, but DOES work in advmenu
- JVS-PAC sticky keys work as per @invzim post, however only in the menu, once ingame I can't use the sticky keys anymore so I can't credit up for example... keyboard doesn't work at all once in game. Have to look into this further..
- Picture looks very nice in person! Attached some (crappy quality) pics

A little bit of feedback:

- Personally I prefer to move over to using SSH once the rPi is configured for your CRT
- Maybe in the beginning configure wifi, once it's in your cab it's really convenient
- The roms folder is actually called rom (little typo)
- Building advancemame took about an hour on a 3B, whoops :D

Thanks so far buddy! If I could just autostart advmenu so I could leave the keyboard unplugged would help for testing so this is my next step.

EDIT: @Scandy just tried advk, everything works as it's supposed to, keys are being reported correctly. Unsure what the issue is here.
EDIT2: managed to have advmenu autoboot so I can leave the keyboard unplugged at boot. Still no luck with the ingame sticky keys (as per http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=operation). As I mentioned, they report back fine with advk, still not ingame even with the keyboard unplugged.

Last edited:
Yeah it does, just the button issue is driving me crazy :D

So this is the advk output, using the JVS-PAC on the player 1 side, all perfect if I compare it against the documentation.

So this is in order: LEFT - UP - RIGHT - DOWN - START - COIN - B1 - B2 - B3 - B4 - B5 - B6

Exactly as the JVS-PAC documentation says (http://jvspac.kirurg.org/?page=operation) as well as chapter 3 of the Advancemame documentation (https://www.advancemame.it/doc-advmame#8.10.6).

Only thing that stands out is that for 3 buttons it shows a zero between brackets and a one for the rest. The documentation states about the brackets: "The utility prints the number of keys pressed in `[]' and the list of key codes detected."

Any ideas? :)

@Sp33dFr34k if JVS-PAC works in AdvanceMENU, surely there's a way to make it work also with AdvanceMAME.

Could you attach your advmame.rc and advmenu.rc files?
If you disconnect JVS-PAC from RPi, the real keyboard works in advmame?

@Sp33dFr34k if JVS-PAC works in AdvanceMENU, surely there's a way to make it work also with AdvanceMAME.

Could you attach your advmame.rc and advmenu.rc files?
If you disconnect JVS-PAC from RPi, a real keyboard does it work in advmame?
I got it just before you posted. I've changed the keyboard to raw instead of auto and here we go :D Thanks!

That's great!!!
So maybe, when you have time, you could summarize the way you connected your RPi to the cab (monitor and JVS-PAC)? I'd really like to add this to the tutorial.

P.S. now it's time to set advmenu to run a random ROM after some time of inactivity, and advmame to quit after some time of inactivity, and you basically will get an "global" attract mode of all your roms ;)

Definitely, I can do a write-up of that, although I didn't exactly go for the easy/universal route. I will take some pictures as well :)

Yeah, that would be nice, I have a feeling you're going to add that to the tut? :D It does run the default roms now after some inactivity, but it never plays one of my "custom" roms it seems :P

Now to look into getting rid of the default roms :)

What do you wanna see @PascalP? :)

@Scandy here's some pics of my setup.

This is my rPi setup: rPi 3B, Gert's VGA666 addon, 3d printed case from thingyverse, some heatsinks to keep it a bit cool, JVS-PAC mounted underneath the case.

I have a New Astro City, so jamma RGB only, but I simply made a passthrough cable to be able to plugin VGA as well.

For the inputs, again the cab is jamma so had to make it JVS without too much hassle. Decided to wire it for JVS simultaneously and made myself a little splitter cable like the VGA for P1 and P2 inputs including kicks, wired to a Sega JVS IO.

Hope this answers your questions :)

Last edited:
We want to see in game pics, I know how your RPi looks :P

Back