What's new
@Scandy So the use of X11 have come from my Linux build. As it is probably the most common video server in use. You are able to manipulate porches and sync pulse to achive the closest possible match to original hardware output.

When I first started porting this to the RPi I did attempt to use the built in Fbturbo display server, like most distro use for the RPi. However, this caused many issue. The main one is not being able to switch resolution in-game like most consoles and some arcade games do. The result of using Fbset while RA is running is that the video driver just locks up, black screen with no way of returning back to RA.

The main bonus about doing this even if the game does not switch resolutions in-game. Is that the emulator core reports the correct res and refresh Which is what CRTSwitchRes used to create the correct video output.

If you know a way of getting arround this video lockup caused with Fbset I am more than happy to port CRTSwitchRes to use it for RPi. This would mean it could work on any distro. The only drawback would be not having control over the porch and v/h sync pulse. It will still look pretty fantastic though.

FYI. Using Fbset before RA loads works fine. However, at his point obviously the core has not sent the correct video information.

Last edited:
@Alphanu unfortunately I'm not a developer so I can't really help, but I wonder if looking at AdvanceMAME source code on GitHub could suggest a solution (everything happens in framebuffer). Don't give up! :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

So I have scrapped x11 for raspberry pi and instead I am using the vcgen API. Things are moving along well. I have issues with interlaced resolutions but I beleave this is a issue with he RPi firmware.

Mame2014 is also working great. I think it uses 0.159 romset.

Here's a quick video. I'll record some mame video soon.

https://youtu.be/CCUpZVTQb8c

Awesome!!!
Can't wait for a LAKKA update with your work!!! 8o

Is it me or is rom compatibility a bit low for this old mame version? Can't get any Street Fighter game to work and I've downloaded the full MAME 0.106 romset...

You need qsound.zip in the same folder as the rom folder if you mean CPS2 games.
Is it me or is rom compatibility a bit low for this old mame version? Can't get any Street Fighter game to work and I've downloaded the full MAME 0.106 romset...

Hi Guys,

So I have scrapped x11 for raspberry pi and instead I am using the vcgen API. Things are moving along well. I have issues with interlaced resolutions but I beleave this is a issue with he RPi firmware.

Mame2014 is also working great. I think it uses 0.159 romset.

Here's a quick video. I'll record some mame video soon.

https://youtu.be/CCUpZVTQb8c
Nice video - how is the lag? LAKKA for PI was unplayable even a few months back due to huge latency.

If you are referring to AdvanceMAME, it's you. :P :kiss:
I have all Street Fighter games from 2WW to 3RS running in full speed... ;)

Hi folks,

Whats the difference between
Pi2SCART from Arcade Forge and GERT VGA Adapter beside the output format?

some features like sync stripper, audio routing through scart, maybe rgb amplification ? best thing is to ask arcade forge directly

If you are referring to AdvanceMAME, it's you. :P :kiss: I have all Street Fighter games from 2WW to 3RS running in full speed... ;)
Will have to try again with the qsound zip :)

great vid but do you have a fountain or something in your room? I gotta use the restroom now

hey guys,

I have merged my source for CRTSwitchRes in mainstream RetroArch.

Rapbery PI CrtSwitchRes is now available in the latest version 1.7.6. Play all the console classics in native resolution as well.

Just thought I'd pass on the great bit of news.

hey guys,

Rapbery PI CrtSwitchRes is now available in the latest version 1.7.6. Play all the console classics in native resolution as well.

Nice! Do you by any chance have a barebone SD card image that I can use to check it out?

hey guys,

Nice! Do you by any chance have a barebone SD card image that I can use to check it out?
you can give this img a go. Its on her 1.7.3 but it does have everything that is in 1.7.6

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NKoSzJ-uULxPr3jc-KKBjZZAg7MHHp0B/view?usp=sharing

This image does not boot Retroarch. You need to type Retroarch at the terminal window.

For one tested there were no cores. If this happens you just need to reset the core directory. Which I believe is /home/ra/mme4crt/cores

Also usb thumb drives are auto mounted.

Last edited:
Back