What's new
You need to fully appreciate the SIZE and scale of these things...

You almost never see photos of the Hori stick in a way that makes it look the way it is.

Here's a picture of the stick next to an original fat Xbox 360 console:
col_09113003.jpg

and here is the Hori next to a Saturn stick:
Untitled.png

even this picture doesn't do it justice, as the base is more than twice as thick.

i cant even find the xbox twin sticks they are not on the net unless im looking wrong.
You're looking wrong:https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e329641191

The difference between the Xbox sticks and the Saturn sticks is not inconsequential.

Saturn sticks are made by Ascii as cheaply as possible for home use. Xbox 360 sticks are made by Hori and are proper arcade grade parts.

Ascii Twin stick:
W6214powerwheelskawasakililquad1.jpg

Hori Twin Stick:
Cody-IMG_0634.jpg
i laughed at the pictures. i only see the one there though. So still there isnt a ton on the market. ill try to win them.

So still there isnt a ton on the market.
They were only released in Japan. If you can fin the PS3 stick it's identical except for the main board and usually a lot cheaper.

Keep mind that the 360 stick was made to play the HD re-releases of VOOT and VO Force which came out 10-years after the initial Arcade release. And VO Force was a Japan only release, so these sticks were made for only the most die-hard enthusiasts in Japan (meaning a very small release).

the PS3 stick was made for the HD-Rerelease of VO Marz which even most VO fans hate, so even a smaller number of these were made, but nobody wants them because nobody gives a shit about VO Marz.

-----
If anyone is interested I whipped up a chart on my feelings of every VO stick available: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15LLstlPN2-nzqCUI_tv4W7_KFAc70gJQM_hR8Az_h9c/edit?usp=sharing

how are Hori sticks mounted inside the enclosure? Could I get a pair and mount them on a control panel?
Hori sticks are mounted using a simple plate similar to your normal Sanwa or Seimitsu 8-ways (I'm unsure of the specific hole spacing).

uT7RHED.jpg

HOWEVER this is not the same mounting pattern that you'll find on the official VOOT arcade sticks. they use a really heavy duty plate with a large square mounting pattern:

images.jpg

Actually. EVERY SINGLE STICK uses a different mounting pattern. So unless you're using the official VOOT arcade sticks on an official VOOT panel, expect to have to make an adapter plate of some sort.

Reactions: nem
A new challenger approaches !!

siliconera.com/2019/01/09/tani…-twin-sticks-at-ces-2019/
Those are just Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V sticks in a "custom" housing.

The sticks themselves aren't bad they're pretty much identical to the Hori sticks except for the grip. That housing though... <X I'd rather build my own.

in the artical they are going to be adding another button to the sticks

in the artical they are going to be adding another button to the sticks
That's because it's not for the arcade releases, it's for "A Certain Magical Virtual On" on PS4, which has some additional controls and doesn't really map to twin sticks.

2zWOsnM.jpg

.... That looks like it will be very difficult to play with, not so much because of the housing (which I actually like apart from how big it is) but because of the buttons in between the 2 sticks

I can see why it's that way but it doesn't make it any less difficult. Why on earth did they change the controls away from what they've always been for jump and dash? As much as I hated on the Xbox ports they didn't utilise the twin sticks on the controller how they should've, this is far worse

Xbox ports they didn't utilise the twin sticks on the controller how they should've, this is far worse
How so? IIRC they allowed for psudo-twin stick control on those games, it just wasn't enabled by default.

As for these "new" sticks, Honestly I wouldn't bother reading too much into a "prototype" that anyone on this forum could have built with off-the-shelf parts and a few hours on a lazy afternoon.

Really? I missed that option then, the standard controls were horrible.

Either way I have a DC and a set of twin sticks so it's not really a problem. I'd like to get a proper panel at some point so I can play on NAOMI instead

Back