What's new

8bitforlife

Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Would it be possible to mod a Sega Saturn twin stick to work on smash tv or made an adapter to work with It?

I would assume undamned converter only converts digital signals not analogue signals?

How does one do it with the VOOT games and Saturn twin sticks?

(Nice get @xtrasmiley those are nice!)

I would assume undamned converter only converts digital signals not analogue signals?

How does one do it with the VOOT games and Saturn twin sticks?

(Nice get @xtrasmiley those are nice!)
Hmm, I have to investigate this, but it will be on the back burner. I think the Xbox one is all digital as it uses the buttons as sticks, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the comment, they are nice. Just so you know, there have been a few that have sold for ONLY $40-80 USD on YAJ if you're interested in getting one. I thought the price was insane to NOT get one. The only thing you have to watch out for is the shipping, that was another $50 to the re-seller, and $50 to me, so you're still at over $150 to get it to you, but still, for a $400 + shipping stick to begin with...

If you go with the PS3 version, it's even cheaper! I had no idea there was a PS3 version until recently however!

I picked up a DC twin stick a while ago and I was surprised at how cheap they were - as has been pointed out shipping is the killer though, particularly on the Hori since its heavier but even the DC controllers are heavy and they're both very bulky

To make any of these work with Smash TV, NAOMI or anything other than a Saturn/DC/Xbox etc you need to disconnect the sticks from the internal controller board and you can then connect them directly to the wiring in the control panel and just treat them like a regular stick + buttons

I believe the Hori even uses Sanwa parts? @twistedsymphony is the man to ask

Yeah, I think 8bit might have meant without going internal.

I bet the Saturn to D15 adapter RGB sells would work for his case.

I mean if Alberto makes a panel to fit SS , it must work? Right?

All Virtual On games use 8-way joysticks... there is no analog control in VO period.
as i am a newb to controls what does that mean to a laymen.
I am trying to make a panel that A use on VO and if I want to play smashtv i can take sticks out and replace or B use SS/DC sticks for VO and make maybe a plug converter to attach to play smashtv.

It's not possible as far as I'm aware to play VO using the SS/DC sticks

What it means is the VO sticks in terms of functionality are no different to your standard 8 way joysticks, so assuming you can get them wired up, they will work with Smash TV

Connecting them up is more difficult, on a Supergun you could potentially use the HAS Saturn -> DB15 adapter for Smash TV. There's currently no way of having the DC twin stick work on NAOMI for VO :(

Yeah they've most likely removed the original boards from the controllers and wired them directly from the sticks

ya that's fine. I would be sticking the sticks on a cp

You can definitely do that - but as I said earlier, it would mean they will no longer function as Saturn sticks and you can't use the Saturn connector because you will have to remove the original controller board and connect up the wires directly to the sticks as you would any other Sanwa/Seimitsu stick

I still think buying the Xbox one for under a hundo and rewireing those sticks is better, as those sticks are better.

But on this topic I definitely defer to @twistedsymphony who I believe to be the defacto expert on these sticks.

The Xbox or even DC sticks are superior to the Saturn version, but they're also heavier (the Xbox one is very heavy) so even if they're cheap to buy, expect shipping to make them considerably less cheap :P

i cant even find the xbox twin sticks they are not on the net unless im looking wrong. I see one on ebay for 900 $ and nothing on yaj. So saturn it might have to be.

i cant even find the xbox twin sticks they are not on the net unless im looking wrong.
You're looking wrong:
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e329641191

The difference between the Xbox sticks and the Saturn sticks is not inconsequential.

Saturn sticks are made by Ascii as cheaply as possible for home use. Xbox 360 sticks are made by Hori and are proper arcade grade parts.

Ascii Twin stick:
W6214powerwheelskawasakililquad1.jpg

Hori Twin Stick:
Cody-IMG_0634.jpg

Back