What's new

8bitforlife

Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
ok my windy I got from a recent group buy probably has horrible burn.

But my good friend has some monitors for me to choose from

A68KSM696X - no chassis
A68KSM696X - no chassis
A68KSM696X - 31k only chassis
73SX707YZ2 - sanwa chassis

I have a 2931 chassis and if I replace the blast I have a 2930.

Can ether of these monitors work in ether cab and work. I think the 73SX707YZ2 is v ga only but can it be converted to 15hz also?

Just be aware that IF you swap out the Blast City monitor you will need to use a trick I learned from Roger/300Wins called "backmounting"
This is where you'll recycle the original Sega monitor frame from the 2930 tube, but rather then mount the new tube the same way...
You'll use longer bolts to mount the tube behind/to the backside of the frame at a depth you will need to determine via trial and error.

Otherwise when you go to put it back together the bezel will be pop'd out due to the extra thickness of the swapped tube.

Just be aware that IF you swap out the Blast City monitor you will need to use a trick I learned from Roger/300Wins called "backmounting"
This is where you'll recycle the original Sega monitor frame from the 2930 tube, but rather then mount the new tube the same way...
You'll use longer bolts to mount the tube behind/to the backside of the frame at a depth you will need to determine via trial and error.

Otherwise when you go to put it back together the bezel will be pop'd out due to the extra thickness of the swapped tube.
so ill have to take the back of cab off?

I don't mind as long as I don't have this shirt monitor I got from of the convergence is so bad and can't be fixed. By me at least.

Nope you can pull the entire monitor (frame+tube+chassis) out from the front, but I do recommend that if you do this solo you lay the cab down on its back first.
Stand/straddle over the body and lift the tube directly up and out (to reduce the chance of catching/hitting the neck).
The slight tilt of the tube coupled with the weight makes it hard to remove cleanly from a standing position (unless you have help).

oh I get ya you don't mount from back of cab you mount the monitor back of frame any idea what bolts to use?

Yes mount the replacement tube to the back-side of the original Sega frame.
The length of the bolts will be determined by the depth you need to sink the tube in order to close the bezel flush to the body (without gaps).

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thank for info now I just need to know if those tubes will work inns blast or windy2

The biggest issue you'll find with replacement tubes in the Blast is none match the curve of that Nanao tube perfectly.
This will create small gaps at the corners of the bezel, I did three tube swaps trying to find a perfect match... Best size match I ever found was a Wells Gardner K7500.

I couldn't remember who actually made the tube, so I just referred to it incorrectly as a "Nanao" tube. ;)
Interesting enough I believe the swap that best fit the curvature was a RCA and not another Toshiba.

Supposedly the Windy 2 monitor curvature is the same as the Blast, so if you have a spare 2930/2931 tube it 'should' work without back mounting. I can't say for sure, but that's what I've read fwiw.

I know people always say "just measure the neck". How do you know which pins are H and which are V so you can measure?

The values in there are useful and could be compared with A68KSM696X.

I think it depends on the tube, but something like a rejuvenator manual with diagrams of the various neck configurations should be helpful if you can find one. Someone like grantspain on AO would have a much better answer though.

grantspain on AO
He's remarkably knowledgeable. He's fixed probably every one of my monitors over the years (possibly because he's one of only two people who comment in the AO Monitor repair section. But still!)

grantspain on AO
He's remarkably knowledgeable. He's fixed probably every one of my monitors over the years (possibly because he's one of only two people who comment in the AO Monitor repair section. But still!)
Yeah seriously, he is a total asset to monitor troubleshooting - very helpful dude.

Just want to say thank you for all the help guys im very appreciative. Wish i wasnt stuck here on this small island.

I know people always say "just measure the neck". How do you know which pins are H and which are V so you can measure?
Those values aren't for the neck, they're for the yoke. With regard to necks, if it fits, it's probably pin compatible.

As for the yoke, on Nanaos if there's two separate connectors, the larger connector is for the horizontal winding, smaller connector for vertical. If they're all in one connector, the first two are horizontal.

Windings are very low resistance, usually too low for a regular multimeter. Touch both probes together to see what the internal resistance is for the multimeter. Mine is 0.3ohm. I then subtract that from the value of the yoke.

Those values aren't for the neck, they're for the yoke. With regard to necks, if it fits, it's probably pin compatible.
I've greatly misunderstood this for YEARS. I thought you were supposed to measure different pins on the neck against one another. I know what the yoke is, I just didn't realize it was related, ha.

Thank you for explaining!

Back