What's new

Max_Power

Student
Reaction score
Guys, I need some help.

I purchased this Street Fighter 2 World Warrior PCB.

I turned it on and there are a lot of graphics error and glitches. I cleaned it up, inspected if there were any cut traces .. used Isopropyl Alcohol and eventurally it started to work.

There are still glitches, however the speed of the game is much much faster, you can do Ryu vs Ryu etc. ... .. which you should not in original World Warrior.... you can do mid air moves like spinning leg kick etc..

My guess is, its hacked ROM. is it possible to revert it back ? I have contacted the seller on eBay. I paid 125 US plus shipping plus import charges...

Sorry I made a Video and then took pics.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 387
You got yourself a rainbow edition. You’re gonna need to burn new roms. I dunno which rom numbers need to be reburned, but I am assuming all of the roms that don’t have official capcom labels.

Yikes.... I do not have a ROM Burner...

Do you know why the sprites are flickering ? error on the board or bad ROMs ?

OKay, I checked

The Player/Character Select Screen does show 8 select-able and not 12

Most common Rainbow was CE (12 characters) but I'm pretty sure there were WW (8 characters) Rainbow hacks too.

Yikes.... I do not have a ROM Burner...

Do you know why the sprites are flickering ? error on the board or bad ROMs ?

OKay, I checked

The Player/Character Select Screen does show 8 select-able and not 12
It's probably this version.

as for the messed up sprites, it could be just bad burned roms. Or it could be much worse, like a bad A-Board.

That glitching could be either bad mask ROMs on the B board, bad A custom or C board fault

Do you have a known working board set to swap out boards with to isolate the fault?

I agree with the above, but was assuming that return wasn't an option

Open an eBay "item not as described or not working" case ASAP and say it's not the version specified and that the board also has a fault.

Unless it was sold as "Parts not working" you should be able to get a refund (although you'll still be out of pocket by the import duty) - I got caught out by this when a seller sent a different PCB to the one pictured in the auction and eBay sided with the seller.

You need those 6 eproms with non-Capcom stickers on replacing at a minimum.

Thanks, I will. I will speak to my Credit Card company to initiate the return so I can get my import charges back. That is now the main problem with eBay's purchased. They use this "Global Shipping Program" where eBay takes out the parcel from original box... and put in much smaller box to save $$$. Check out this huge boot... I am sure that did not help the CPS1 board....

I have taken out, used Isopropyl Alcohol and cleaned all the ROM chips.

Yes there are 6 of them which are non Capcom ....

The Sprite Glitches/flickering comes and goes... I am thinking about getting a Contact Cleaner..but still it bothered me that the ROM is not WW.

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 266
Ugh, Global Shipping Program is awful. I hate it when sellers use it.

damn did someone step on that package with some Timberlands?

Higher than 90%, issue is that damn A board. I have gone through countless CPS1 boards, and most common issue is this.

Also, be aware that some of the WW hacks use a modified PAL chip. Once you replace the program roms, you may get nothing on screen, which is a good indication that the PAL will also need to be replaced for original.

Can you post a picture of the C board (smallest, top board)? World Warrior used various C boards, and if you're not replacing those program roms with code that is compatible with the C board you have, you will also not have a good outcome.

Do you have any other CPS-1 board sets, that you can check if the A board is good or not.

You're really going to need a eprom burner that supports the mask roms and program roms, and ideally also PAL/GAL, if you want any chance of reviving that board. Something like a TL866II Plus should do the trick, I believe. Somebody correct me if it won't support the mask roms (I have 3 burners which cover everything, but can never remember if any one of them does everything CPS1).

Sure I will post picture the pics.

Thanks everyone for their input and help.

:)

C Board

Added B Board as well.

Attachments

• C Board.jpg
    C Board.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 281
  • B Board.jpg
    B Board.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 272
Also, be aware that some of the WW hacks use a modified PAL chip. Once you replace the program roms, you may get nothing on screen, which is a good indication that the PAL will also need to be replaced for original.

Can you post a picture of the C board (smallest, top board)? World Warrior used various C boards, and if you're not replacing those program roms with code that is compatible with the C board you have, you will also not have a good outcome.

Do you have any other CPS-1 board sets, that you can check if the A board is good or not.

You're really going to need a eprom burner that supports the mask roms and program roms, and ideally also PAL/GAL, if you want any chance of reviving that board. Something like a TL866II Plus should do the trick, I believe. Somebody correct me if it won't support the mask roms (I have 3 burners which cover everything, but can never remember if any one of them does everything CPS1).
NO unfortunately I do not have any other board. This is the first one.

I do want to get a eprom burner down the line.. but just feeling cheated. I asked and offered the seller extra to ship it directly via USPS...

Yeah, I'd suggest getting a refund, then parlaying that money into getting an appropriate eprom burner and eraser. You should be able to reuse the program roms with hand labels, and burn them with original code. :)

The C-board is a b-17 as you can see, so you want to burn program roms from any set that is compatible with that. Starting at line 100, you will find the WW rom sets, including what C chip each set uses:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/video/cps1.cpp

Lastly, the PAL labeled "ROM1" on the A board is what gets replaced for the quicken set. Please post a pic of that one, so we can determine if that has also been replaced. More info on that, here:

CPS A-Board Differences

I checked your video when you say the sprites are glitching do you mean how the fighters appear in a different place all of a sudden? If yes thats how this hack originally behaved. Also the inverted color on the cyclist in the Chunli stage is how it was with the hack back in the day. Didn't see Zangief's sprite issue (in the photo) in the video. This looks like a properly running hacked version of SF2WW.

Last edited:
Back