What's new
I tried this method but it only shows 32MB, I probably got damaged memories.

make sure the normal flash next to the original reverse flash do not have any solder bridge on them

make sure the normal flash next to the original reverse flash do not have any solder bridge on them
I did check, but everything is ok. :(

Edit: give some more attention on soldering and everything is working now!

nzVz8FE_d.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,

This tutorial is really great, and I have a lot of questions like :
  • Are they better quality pictures I can find on SIMMs to check flash reference model and More importantly orientation
  • are there SIMMs here and here the same as the original ones ? as I read that reverse pinout SIMMs are rare...
  • is it the one used in the new SIMMs batchs produced by Darksoft?
  • can we mix original and new flashs on the same board (maybe yes, not sure), especially for reverse as I plan to buy 32mb SIMM and add 2 reverse and 4 normal flashs
so many questions...
But thanks again for your help

The simm look like the right one. As for placement. The normal (N) and reverse (R) will have a little circle indicating pin one. This corrispond with the arrow on the pcb. You can use new chips on a pcb with old one given that they work to begin with

great, I am gonna try that so.
so this mean I would not be forced to unsolder the existing chips ?

That's right, you just need to add new ones. This is a complicated time consuming task, so...good luck.

do you think that a 128mb simm board with only 4x16mb chips on one side only of the board Would work as a 64mb? Did you try that already?

I didnt try but I know it wont work. Each chip outputs 8 bits of data and the CPS3 reads from those Simms 16 bits each time.

That means that it needs to read from 2 chips everytime and chip are paired (one on each side). See pic attached.

So if you install 4 and assuming that you install it in the right pair, you will have a 64Mb simm which is NOT compatible with the originla 64Mb Simms, as those have other pinout.

The bios will probably recognize these "special" SImms as 32Mb simm. If it recognizes as 128Mb, you will have GFX glitches as it will expect the other Flashes to be there. There are no 64MB simms that go on the left side of the PCB.

Thanks.

Attachments

• CPS3_Chip_Pairing.jpg
    CPS3_Chip_Pairing.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 126
I’ve got one of these if anyone wants to try it, pay shipping.

All right
I guess this is why there was already 2 different layouts...

Last edited:
and when converting 32 to 128mb, don't we need to add the small capacitors too?
do you know the specs?
Is there a difference between MBM29F016-90PFTR and MBM29F016A-90PFTR Version ?

I am confused by this picture: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/images/f/fe/CPS-3-simms.png
the 32MB board version shown is not the same as the 128mb... and both chip are on the same side of the board... are they 2 versions ?

Attachments

• CAPCOM-CPS3-32mb-SIMM-MEMORY-STOCK-ORIGINAL.jpg
    CAPCOM-CPS3-32mb-SIMM-MEMORY-STOCK-ORIGINAL.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
the 32MB board version shown is not the same as the 128mb... and both chip are on the same side of the board... are they 2 versions ?
Yes, there are up to 4 versions of possible SIMMS depending on the flashes installed: Fujitsu, Hitachi, Intel/Sharp and Macronix. Each chip has it's own protocol to write it, therefore the differences. The most usual, though are the Fujitsu.

Is there a difference between MBM29F016-90PFTR and MBM29F016A-90PFTR Version ?
I dont recall there being any difference.

No idea about the capacitors, but if they are on the 128Mb version, then you need to add them.

I successfully soldered the ICs on 2 32 SIMMs boards.
Now they are recognized apparently as 128mb SIMMs
There is no more 32M indication on the Flash utility of the Superbios
I can erase them and run the write test on them. So it seem to work ok.
But when I place them in slot 3 and 4 of the motherboard and I try to write SFIII NG, I have an error...
any idea why ?

Attachments

• 0E4F6F64-4BAE-4F8D-A489-22B2DEA3FD05.jpeg
    0E4F6F64-4BAE-4F8D-A489-22B2DEA3FD05.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 130
  • 7132ED88-398B-4317-ADDA-9A131CD367A3.jpeg
    7132ED88-398B-4317-ADDA-9A131CD367A3.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 124
  • C04E80ED-57EE-45AD-AFEA-0F0422158299.jpeg
    C04E80ED-57EE-45AD-AFEA-0F0422158299.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 131
IMO that probably means that most of the chips are soldered well, but not all and for that reason you get a CRC error.

Try reworking them. Also are you sure that you used N type and R type where it corresponds?

Last edited:
Back