What's new
Max progressive scan resolution for CGA is 240p. Never used one of those VGA->CGA adapters. But it is $20 bucks. If it sucks, no biggie. Others can chime in if they've ever used one.

You can also set the X360 to 480i and add in an RGB amp. CGA monitors can take a 480i signal. As stated ealier in this thread, it isn't bad. Personally, I have connected a PS2 (@480i) to a NAC with an RGB amp and I can say, it doesn't look bad at all. Never done anything with an X360 however. Only problem is that you will have to build your own RGB amp. I don't recommend the Ultimarc amp as it sucks with contrast and produces a flat image.

Oh, man, please say you're gonna sell some of those "ready to use" :)

There is also the option of going with 480i. But that is more involved than you might be willing to invest.
My adapters output video from the 360/ps3/DC/original Xbox at 480i. it's not bad, and it'll get you playing games in no time, but it's not 240p, that's for sure.

UVC isn't the best. It is mid-range and sandwiched at the high end by Extron downscaling stuff. In terms of availability, you'll have to go with the bottom end VGA-CGA adapters from Gnobes.

There is also the option of going with 480i. But that is more involved than you might be willing to invest.
The SDOJ screenshot in the first post looks great, that's at 480p right?
Have you ever used one of those VGA-CGA converters? Are they going to have seriously bad video quality that's gonna have me wishing I had something better?
The SDOJ pic in the OP is 240p output from the UVC

UVC isn't the best. It is mid-range and sandwiched at the high end by Extron downscaling stuff. In terms of availability, you'll have to go with the bottom end VGA-CGA adapters from Gnobes.
I thought one of the benefits of the UVC with cabs like the NAC is that you can run it in Medium resolution; keeping the image closer to the 480P source.

Emphatic posted a great write up years ago:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33659

The old post had some great shots of death smiles on xbox360 in 15k and 24k and the latter was much sharper, but still had scan lines on an MS9.

The issue, is changing games, nearly every jamma pcb is 15k, so unless you dedicate the cab to x360, it’s much simpler setting it to output 15k

Last edited:
The issue, is changing games, nearly every jamma pcb is 15k, so unless you dedicate the cab to x360, it’s much simpler setting it to output 15k
some MS9s are auto-switching which alleviates this issue. Though if you were going to dedicated a cab to Xbox 360 you'd be better off with a Net City or Vewlix since they can natively support the VGA output without the need for a scaler.

I had no idea there was an auto switching MS9 8|

I think there are arguments for each, 15k for the cave ports, 31k for the HD cave ports, 24k as a half way house between the two & 720p covers everything like AK shin and Contra hard corps rising.

Pink sweets and MMP look like ass in 31k.

The good thing is, you can pretty much run a 360 in any cab. I prefer 15k, but that’s personal preference. It’s certainly much easier feeding a cab 480p and a lot of tri-syncs are auto switching, so an NNC is a great choice IMO

Last edited:
I had no idea there was an auto switching MS9
yup, if you look at the chassis there will be a black relay box instead of the 4-pin resolution selection connector.

and before you ask, while it is theoretically possible to upgrade a non-switching MS9 to auto-switching (the PCBs are the same) there are A LOT of components that need to be added to perform the resolution detection so it's not really viable.

I'm curious how bad VGA from an X360 will look on my NNC. Time to download some games.

I'm curious how bad VGA from an X360 will look on my NNC. Time to download some games.
it's not that bad, honestly. if you have a blast you've pretty much seen the NNC.. if it's a toshiba PF tube then you've got a better picture

some MS9s are auto-switching which alleviates this issue. Though if you were going to dedicated a cab to Xbox 360 you'd be better off with a Net City or Vewlix since they can natively support the VGA output without the need for a scaler.
My NAC is my vertical cabinet, I really do not want to rotate my NNC which is why I'd like to get the 360 going on the NAC, I need to decide on a video downscaler to buy and get one of these setups built.

I need to decide on a video downscaler to buy and get one of these setups built.
I want to do the same, so far Ive been able to source the UVC and Mimo Genius II. Im still on the lookout for Extron Super Emotia. I believe the VSC-700 also downscales?! And finally Extro RGb Rxi for fine tuning things.

I'm sure the iScan DVDO can also downscale, but I've never actually tried to use it for that before so I'm not so sure about the fine details.
Like no idea if you can get 240p out of it, might stop at 480i only
It has 5 BNC/RGB connectors on the back, but with labels for separate H and V-syncs, so it may not output composite sync.

Quirk I noticed, the Xbox 360’s two main buttons get mapped to 4 and 5, so they’re on the kick harness. If I use this with a 3 or 4 button control panel I need to adjust those buttons accordingly

@kuze do you just play this on a 6 button layout or is there a way you remapped the buttons in software somewhere?

I think brooks and ps360+ both do this

Quirk I noticed, the Xbox 360’s two main buttons get mapped to 4 and 5, so they’re on the kick harness. If I use this with a 3 or 4 button control panel I need to adjust those buttons accordingly

@kuze do you just play this on a 6 button layout or is there a way you remapped the buttons in software somewhere?

I think brooks and ps360+ both do this
Yeah I think the Brooks is setup that way because it was designed with six button layouts in mind. I use a six button CP so I navigate the 360 interface with button 4, haven't encountered any shmups so far that won't let you map buttons as needed so they are correct on a six button layout w/ the Brooks once you start the game.

I was thinking of making an adapter harness for a 4 button Blast CP that would re-map buttons 1 and 2 with buttons 4 and 5 though, similar to the existing 605-0028 harness that drops in to the Blast CP for 2L12B button layouts.

If you need to make such an adapter, the wiring info can be found here:
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City_Wiring_Guide

I can also post the part #s from my Digikey order if that would be helpful.

Another option of course is cutting traces on the PBJAMMA and modding it to suit your needs, or swapping the associated wires on your 20-pin cables. There's no way to do it in software w/ the Brooks UFB, but maybe they would provide a custom firmware if you reach out to them.

I should be good for now, I’ll probably just throw on the 6 button panel while I run this. Seems the simplest way to keep it flexible for other use cases. Time to play some sdoj!

I should be good for now, I’ll probably just throw on the 6 button panel while I run this. Seems the simplest way to keep it flexible for other use cases. Time to play some sdoj!
Yeah if you ever play any fighting games with it, they should be mapped properly out of the box AFAIK.

Did you get your adapter project boxed up? Post some pics if so! :D

We're playing Mushihimesama as 'shoot em up of the month' on another forum, still around a week to get in and post a score if you're interested in participating!

My score would suck!

I just have it on a piece of mdf right now, making sure it is all working. My current kick harness solution is using some parts I had on hand, DuPont wires and such... waiting for maybe an @acblunden2 pcb design and a propper cps1 connector before I actually do the final box-up. Or until I just do the breadboard thing myself. I’ll post some pics though for sure.

My score would suck!

I just have it on a piece of mdf right now, making sure it is all working. My current kick harness solution is using some parts I had on hand, DuPont wires and such... waiting for maybe an @acblunden2 pcb design and a propper cps1 connector before I actually do the final box-up. Or until I just do the breadboard thing myself. I’ll post some pics though for sure.
Haha my scores suck too, but it's a fun way to encourage yourself to improve.

Sounds good, yeah a pre-designed CPS2 to CPS1 kick adapter would be great for sure.

Back