What's new
What is the cabinet's PSU typically hooked up and used for?
Naomi, Sys2x6, other JVS stuff that isn't PC-based.
Ah! That makes sense, especially if those things don't have a PSU of their own like PC-based hardware.

Vewlix cabinets do seem designed for versatility like changing out artwork and replacing the space covers with various equipment.

So it seems the PSU is (at least partly) another versatility feature, to support more hardware whether it needs one or not.

That is a really nice feature, especially if designed and intended that way.

I just play it safe, esp for what these step down converters cost compared to the cash I’ve dumped on Japanese arcade stuff. I don’t actually know what the hell i’m doing most of the time.

I just play it safe, esp for what these step down converters cost compared to the cash I’ve dumped on Japanese arcade stuff. I don’t actually know what the hell i’m doing most of the time.
I may want to do the same, for basically the same reason. The answers to the transformer questions could be very helpful if you remember offhand.

I have noticed that sometimes (probably not the majority of the time) powering the cabinet on fails to power the screen on, requiring turning the monitor off and on from the controls inside the cabinet until the monitor does finally turn on. Just in case that might have anything to do with the Sanwa monitor not playing well with 120V, trying the correct voltage seems like a reasonable idea.

Interesting. I can check tonight. I did have a weird similar monitor issue a while back that seemed to magically clear up. I’ll fire it up tonight. I also just got the Jvs-pac2 so I plan to test that connecting a laptop to the cab, but not sure I’ll get to that tonight.

Interesting. I can check tonight. I did have a weird similar monitor issue a while back that seemed to magically clear up. I’ll fire it up tonight. I also just got the Jvs-pac2 so I plan to test that connecting a laptop to the cab, but not sure I’ll get to that tonight.
Excellent. Thanks!

I wanted to run the TTX2 arcade hardware in my Vewlix, which I think is something you have in your setup.

I'll rephrase the main questions here so you don't have to refer back:

• I mainly wanted to make sure you've been able to use the 500 watt transformer with a TTX2 in your cab, for continuous running for a full day.
  • I also wanted to check what is plugged where, and what setting the Switch should be toward. (The desired 100V voltage or the 120V wall voltage)
I assumed the power strip goes into the RIGHT SIDE outlet on the transformer (100V, JAPAN) and the transformer switch is set to 120V (wall outlet voltage) but I just wanted to be absolutely sure.

I have the switch set to 120v and my power strip is plugged into the left regular 3 pin outlet. I have had two blast city cabs running all day on one and a vewlix/ttx2 on one and never had a problem.

I have the switch set to 120v and my power strip is plugged into the left regular 3 pin outlet. I have had two blast city cabs running all day on one and a vewlix/ttx2 on one and never had a problem.
Excellent!

That's really good info to know for caution's sake.

Thanks for specifying the details!

No problem. Got the javpac2 hooked up today. Works great. I like how the config is on a sd card. Would be cool to be able to change between config files but I’ll probably only have a few so can just have a few cards. Meat boy works great. Does anyone know if button 7 on a vewlix cab is available somehow? I think my cab came with it not wired. I haven’t opened the panel in a while.

One minor annoyance is the JVS error when I switch usb from the tx2 to my laptop and the x2 keeps rebooting. To solve that I plan to put a power switch in the cab Just on the x2 and just leave that off if I plan to use my laptop with the cab.

Attachments

• EA2EDBD6-A7F8-46BF-9B44-501005D88881.jpeg
    EA2EDBD6-A7F8-46BF-9B44-501005D88881.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 316
No problem. Got the javpac2 hooked up today.

Does anyone know if button 7 on a vewlix cab is available somehow? I think my cab came with it not wired. I haven’t opened the panel in a while.
What's a javpac? Do you have some kind of solution where the button and joystick wiring somehow splits off into 2 different I/O cards?

Do you also have 2 different video sources (PC, TTX2) routed to some sort of selection device?

If your cabinet's wired with the 2 Player Taito harness, I checked and it does indeed seem to only have terminals for 6 action buttons per player and the start buttons. Maybe the layout is just designed for options like either connecting the leftmost six buttons to a TTX2 or connecting the top 4 to an MVS.

Have you explored whether it's possible to just separately attach wires to each 7th button and run them through some kind of I/O board like an I-Pac or something? Maybe you could even somehow route the USB signal to both the PC and the TTX2.

For MVS games in particular, a simpler approach might be to somehow wire both the top-right button and the bottom-left button to the quick disconnects intended for the bottom-left button, IF that's safe. I suspect it is, but don't know much about electrical wiring, so I don't guarantee it's safe. It might be worth asking someone who makes wiring harnesses. If it's safe, the idea would be to wire both grounds to one terminal, and both other wires to the other terminal, then hook those into the harness quick disconnects for button 4.

The Neo-Geo arcade layout just has button 4 on the top-right instead of the bottom-left, so wiring both buttons as button 4 should achieve the same.

Javpac basically turns the controls into keypresses. I have a usb switch, minijack audio switch, and a dvi switch in the cab to switch everything from x2 to cables I have coming out the back to connect the laptop. I suppose I could use another interface to get the 2 extra buttons out to the laptop. Not sure if I’ll bother. 6 buttons per player is probably get enough for what I’ll play on the cab.

One thing I noticed using the headphone out on my laptop for audio was it sounded pretty bad through the vewlix speakers. I put a small graphic eq unit before the speakers and that helped quite a bit. I had to cut some bass frequencies. The super meat boy soundtrack is bass heavy so might not be a problem for other games. I’d prefer some sort of eq unit with simple bass and treble knobs but I don’t know of anything cheap like that. I also noticed some noise that sounded like interference. I might use a usb audio interface instead of the headphone out which should clean up the audio. I could eq in Windows somehow but I generally prefer hardware audio adjustments and like the idea of the extra control for the x2 audio also.

Found a focusrite Scarlett solo for pretty cheap and a behringer dsp8000 for pretty cheap too. I think that will clean up my audio a lot for around $100. Never used the dsp8000 but it has 31 bands. Using a crappy 10 band I was able to make it a lot better, so 31 should do the trick. On my console/pvm setups I use small mixers that have very basic eq and the speakers I use have treble/bass dials. So I’m always able to tailor it to sound good. In my music room I use a big ass digital mixer with awesome eq and processing and it has ruined me with audio everywhere else.

Anyone know if these are available for sale? Looks like an awesome way to add he functionality I want

If you're still looking for something like that, have you seen the following thread?

V.select optional panel for Vewlix.10219/Chewlix

Maybe you could upgrade 2 things at once, and route that all through the JVSPAC2, (or some other I/O board) along with wiring the 2 extra buttons to it.

I can't stand loud fans, and holy crap, the Vewlix ones sound like freaking vacuum cleaners. I couldn't get them out of my cabs fast enough.

Sure, replacing the top one is a little work, but you probably never cleaned in there before anyways, and trust me, it's disgusting.

I’m finally getting around to messing with this cab again. I want to replace the fans, but I need to make sure I’m ordering the right thing. Mine is a vewlix F. Are all 4 fans near the top the same?

There is a thread with recommendations for ttx2 replacement fans so I ordered those. My cab is not crazy loud but it definitely is easily the loudest thing I have so it sticks out.

There is another thread where someone has a plexi panel that goes above the control panel to add button holes, usb, and a volume knob. So I got on the list for that. I’m not sure what I will use all the holes for. Definitely test and service. I guess I could probably wire up game exit on the ttx2 multi v2. Maybe a credit button. Still leaves me more buttons. As for the usb, instead of connecting it to the ttx2 I think I’ll wire that up to power so anyone could charge their phone or whatever with those ports.

I never followed up about laminating the art, but I think that worked well. It has been sticking to my cab for a long time now and not falling off. I just used 2 sided tape.

Never had an issue with the fan noise and never had an issue with the power that required a step down converter. Only mods I did were to wire in the official Nesica 1 reader and rewire the cab for JVS.

How did these fans work out? I still need to order replacements for the monitor fans.

edit: seems 80mm 24v fans are pretty uncommon. These are out of stock and I can’t find many options and pretty much can’t find any quiet ones. Anyone else swap out the 80mm monitor fans and what did you use? And did anyone use 12v and get rid of the monitor message?

Last edited:
Back