What's new

Takosuke

Professional
Reaction score
Hey all! Just starting my log here to keep me honest about my project :)

I just bought my first Candy (after owning a KI2 cab in Europe) in the states, and it's time to fix it!

Will post update as I go :)

I was in the market for a Japanese Arcade Candy Cab for a couple of months, un was about to get a barebone New Astro City when I saw this add on FB Marketplace.

I never saw a Kyotaro before, but I discovered it was made by Tecmo, and it looked in an OK state, so why not! Fast forward a week later, and finally, it's mine, in my office at home!

Overview of the Cab at reception:

IMG_4274.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

After cleaning up a little bit the outside, time to look a bit more what we have here.

Obviously, the first thing to notice is that the Control Panel has been redone custom by the previous owner:

Not my favorite color scheme, but at least it's functional. One of my goal would be to have a repro or an original of the original Kyotaro 29 CP. I will need to dig a bit to see what's available, as this Cab is not as widespread as the Sega or Taito candy Cabinet.

The inside of the Panel is a bit messy, so I'll have to clean it up as well, but nothing too bad:

Next: the Inside!

Let's open those doors!

Oh Oh! It's a bit messy here with all the cables floating freely, but not too much dust or water damage, which is awesome!

Anf what's That? Yup, coming with the Cab was 3 US CPS2 "B Boards" (Darkstalkers the Night Warriors, Marvel VS Capcom and Dungeon and Dragons: Tower of Doom) and 2 "A Boards"! Nice!

They all seem to work as well, and the Suicide Battery has been taken care off already. I'll come back to them later but that is a good surprise!

Let's now have a look at the back:

As said above, not too shabby or now. Will need to clean the dust a bit and organize the cables.

No the tube:

This does not look like the original Japanese tube to me.Will need to research more. The color of the tube are off and will also try to degauss it with a coil (more on it later).

So far pretty happy overall!

I like the look of that cab and also the work you’ve done. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Plugged it, and it seems to work fine!

The image on the screen was completely off though:

- Super blurry
- Image all shrunk and misaligned
- Colors super off

After tinkering a little bit with the flyback, no more blurriness! The control board is located under the control panel, and turning a few dials took care of the image alignment and size. I also unplugged the P1 Start button doing so without realizing it, and that gave me a few seconds of frustration (looks like I will probably extend the cables for them as it's super tight at the moment).

Now the colors are not great, and I don't want to play them too much with today. I can also notice a clear sign of discoloration that probably would be solved by a degaussing.

I have the coil at hand...

Ok let's do it!

Following the advice gathered on forums and this very useful youtube video From Arcade Repair Tips, I use my Degauss Coil purchased at Fry's.

Slowly circling from 6 feet away towards the screen, then away from it for 1 min, the results are immediate!

Definitely look better, but the colors are still off. The white has a yellowish tint... Time to turn some RGB nods!

Locating them on the board of the screen was easy, and using a mirror I can finally see the colors come to light: not enough blue and too much red.

All done!

The image is now really good, which I was almost not expecting at this point. I still see some purple tint on the lower left corner but decide to stop there, taking in that the screen might be damaged.

After putting the cab next to my computer desk, I turned it on. And the image is really discolored on the left, side of my desk!

I then realize that the culrpit was my computer setup creating too much magnetic interference. Could be the speakers or everything else I have on there.

I decide then to put the cabinet in another corner of my office, and surprise! The picture is now perfect!

Sounds like a great way to end the day :)

(On this, still a small discoloration as I turned it close to the desk. Crazy how this setup is interfering with it!)

After I set up the monitor properly, I decided to get more info on it.

Looking at the chassis, we can clearly see that it's a Wells Gardner (WG on the stickers). I did not want to take it out to know for sure what it was, so I took a few pictures and googled what I could see:

I used mainly 2 resources for that:

The telltale was the "P numbers" on the chassis and the remote board. On the first picture, you can see P763, and the P790 (see previous posts) on the remote board confirmed it.

It's a 27" Wells Gardner 27K7401!

This will prove handy if I need to do anything on it later, but enough for today :)

One of my goal would be to have a repro or an original of the original Kyotaro 29 CP.
I just went through my storage and found a beat up Tecmo Kyotaro control panel. Let me know if you're interested in it. It's not great, but it's genuine.

However, I also scanned the panel, measured it and vectored it so it can be reproduced. I'll upload the .svg file to the ArcadeOtaku wiki on the weekend. You can actually output a .dxf file with Inkscape which you can use for laser cutting.

One of my goal would be to have a repro or an original of the original Kyotaro 29 CP.
I just went through my storage and found a beat up Tecmo Kyotaro control panel. Let me know if you're interested in it. It's not great, but it's genuine.

However, I also scanned the panel, measured it and vectored it so it can be reproduced. I'll upload the .svg file to the ArcadeOtaku wiki on the weekend. You can actually output a .dxf file with Inkscape which you can use for laser cutting.
Oh my god, I love you.

Totally interested, and for the scans as well. Do you have a scan of the side stickers as well by any chance, or other potential pictures you made of the cab? It's super hard to find much info on the web :)

Thanks a lot!

I only have the control panel, nothing else unfortunately.

That’s already a great help :) I’ll try to take pictures/scan and vectorize the stickers as well. They are yellowing and have some scratches but nothing that can’t be fixed on an image editing software.

Time for an update!

While working on doing a penal layout for both the panel itself and the panel bezel, based on the original Kyotaro artwork but change to accommodate the 6 buttons and the extra ones on the bezel added by the previous owner, I decided to upgrade the buttons and sticks.

Here how the original layout was, and while the NeoGeo colors was a nice touch, it just did not fit my tastes, making everything too busy and clashing with the purple theme of the Kyotaro 29. Also, I'm not super fond of HAP style buttons:

The current sticks were Sanwas, but the model is undefined. They are doing a good enough job, but I am more used to the Seimitsu LS-56.

So I made an order to Arcade Shock for the Following parts:

I then proceeded to remove the panel

I then realized that the Sanwa sticks on the panel are screwed on the center, and the new Seimitsu don't have a hole on the metal part. I will need to drill some alter :( I just changed the balltops for now.

Then unscrew everything out and made a patter out the bare panel for future reference when working on the overlay later.

Snapped thenew buttons in, an voila!

Once I plugged everything back, there is the result. Pretty satisfied with it so far and looking gorward to change the sticks and work on the overlay!

FYI, in case you're the purist type, the dead monitor that came with my Kyotaro 29 project cab is a Nanao MS8-29FB. I am looking for parts to fix it now.

Would you mind taking close up shots of the bottom of the cab from the side and how that bottom of the cab is fastened to the rest of the cab? Mine is missing the front kick plate entirely. Structurally, the entire cab is flimsy. If pushed, it creaks and wobbles.

I can totally do that. Can you post pictures of what you have/need so I can reproduce from mine for comparison? Also trying to work ok the side art/stickers and panel bezel (Ben provides the actuels panel art) for repro.
I think I’ll pas on trying to get the original tube/chassis, but Monday I will start recapping the WGK7400 :)

but Monday I will start recapping the WGK7400
Your monitor looks fine. Why recap it? Also, I have capped a good 30 monitors in my day. The K7400 is by far the worst monitor I ever recapped. This is coming from a man that recently capped the Toshiba PB7534-1.

My Kyotaro 29 is an utter mess. It will never be even close to OG. I am going to get it functional first. Worry about restoring the spirit of the original cab, if I ever do, later. Mine is flimsy as heck. I removed the chassis today and washed it with Simple Green. Getting parts for it now. Going to remove the tube next. Interestingly enough, seems the tube is doing a good of keep the cab together. But it is so grimy, it needs a wash. Might just leave it outside and let all this rain do the work for me.

But yeah, I'll post pics. Thanks brutha!

Hey @nem, @Takosuke, did you guys arrange for exchange of that Kyotaro CP? Because I could sure use it.

KyotaroCP.jpg

Attachments

• KyotarounderCP.jpg
    KyotarounderCP.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 469
Let's let Takosuke chime in if he wants it since you offered it to him first. He if passes on it, please PM me pics of it. As you can see, my cab is hax0red to death and that isn't even the worst of it.

Let's let Takosuke chime in if he wants it since you offered it to him first. He if passes on it, please PM me pics of it. As you can see, my cab is hax0red to death and that isn't even the worst of it.
He already said he wasn't interested in it.

I'll PM you some pics.

Yup i’m passing on Nem’s panel as I’ll keep a 6 buttons layout based on his vectorized file :)

Recapping the screen based on the advice on the other thread. To be honest. The screen is flickering more and more and happened 2 times to lose color and then coming back (neckbord probably) on it’s owm. Might as well do it.

Min is a bit flimsy as well around the panel area. I’ll take pictures in a few.

Back