What's new
i have the original monitor complete with chassis fully working
And I believe some one was looking for the complete bottom foot,i have that as well

depending on shape and prices, I could be interested in:
  • A full control panel (not just the part where the sticks and buttons are, but the piece around it as well, including the locking mechanism w/ metal bars around the lock) with screws
  • Marquee holder
  • original Insert coin buttons
  • Any scan/very hi rez pictures of the side stickers, are mine are damaged

The original monitor + chassis could be great, but unless you live in SoCal I would probably not got the shipping route.

Since I have an arpicade, I wonder if I could use this. Like a 240p CRT Test (maybe loading the ps1 iso as it reads PS games). Or maybe a CPS2 since I don’t have any original midway boards.
Arpicade runs Mortal Kombat II? If so, there are your purity tests right there.

Check this video at this point for a tutorial on purity calibration:

K7400 Chassis repaired and cleaned up!

ll clean, all recaped, with a new flyback:

Neck board, with the 3 transistors changed and new capacitors:

Main Chassis, all capacitors changed and clean up:

New Flyback:

Cleaned up remote board:

And finally, installed in the Kyotaro:

Unforuntaly, the cable for the Flyback is shorter than the original one. It does not seem to be a big deal as it's not touching anything, but having it so close to the Electron Gun and the Yoke makes me uneasy :P

I turned on the cab, and... Yes! No pop, no smoke, no smell of something burning, it works!

All the settings are out of wack though so I will need to have a tuning session as soon as I have enough time on my hand., and maybe tackle the purity if I am brave enough.

So, After putting everything back I did a quick color adjustment and I am quite happy for now (could be a bit better, but I did it blindly as I did not want to spend too much time tonight on it, moving the mirror etc).

Before messing with the purity, I want to make sure that it's actually the issue. Moving the cabinet around definitely mess up the monitor, as I said it seems to be super sensitive to magnetic fields:

(Assuming I'm sitting in front of the cab, and the observation below is valid no matter where the cab is in my appartment)
  • Facing North towards South is the worst Big discoloration on the left side and right side
  • Facing East to west is mostly ok, with a slight discoloration on the lower left corner
    • the further I turne it on its axis to face North, the more it starts to get discolored on the left side
  • No matter which orientation, I always end up with discoloration on the left lower corner

Here is the result of a test pattern to illustrate.

gNPRjl9.jpg

B6CoCGj.jpg
o7yQ93P.jpg
1cTYkXd.jpg
jGIaHl0.jpg

Does it sound like purity? (remember that I degaussed the screen with a Degauss Coil a good amount of time and this does not go away with it.).

Thanks!

Try aligning the yoke,but only if you know what you’re doing be really careful

I’m almost sure the yoke has come a bit loose and that is why you can’ Degaussed it
Had same issue with my capcom impress,and was fixed by centering the yoke

Thanks for the tips!

I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing as I never did it before, but I've been reading and watching Youtube videos about yoke adjustments and related operations (purity and convergence) for the past few days :P I wish I had access to a pro to teach me and help me tinkering with it, but I will just proceed carefully.

Kinda hard to work inside the Kyotaro as there is not a lot of space though, and the monitor does not have a mechanical chassis to help handling it out of the cab, so I'm super hesitant to remove it. But Like it took me a while to discharging it, I will end up doing what is needed after continuing to research a lot and understanding how everything works :)

Last edited:
Looks like a mechanical issue, not magnetic. Watch and rewatch that video I posted earlier.

Hehe yeah I did a few times and a few others as well :) Also the guide from Ingvar Karlsson. Good to confirm that it might be the issue, probably going to attempt something soon, thanks!

Unforuntaly, the cable for the Flyback is shorter than the original one. It does not seem to be a big deal as it's not touching anything, but having it so close to the Electron Gun and the Yoke makes me uneasy
Yeah, it doesn't matter.

Anyway, your pic looks like a purity issue to me. Honestly, playing around with yoke rings isn't that bad. Just mark the current positions with a white marker and then you can always revert back.

It's not a yoke alignment issue, because your convergence looks fine.

Personally I wouldn't try to do it from inside the cab. It's an accident waiting to happen. You should look for a K7400 frame to bolt that thing into.

Almost seems like a single yoke wedge got knocked off and if replaced would fix his image.

Funny you’re saying this, and I did notice one of the wedges was not where it was taped when I got the cab.

B2DC22EF-EB81-4118-871D-C7C4DACFF1D9.jpeg

Maybe I should try to wiggle it back. The tape seemed recent so I assume it was placed during a maintenance, and maybe moved at some point.

20657297-3618-4AAA-A2C5-F30F28784AD5.jpeg

That should fix your problems. Wedge it back in there for now. Tape it down after the issue goes away. Do it while off and discharged to be extra safe.

Cool I'll try that when I get a chance and will report!

Back