What's new
And I swooped up the Toro. Figure I could use the extra HD15 input in addition to the SCART output. Probabably would have no use for the scanline function. But you never know. Will let you know how it works with the Sanwa PFX.

Just another shot in the dark here to see if anyone thinks this would "help" improve Dreamcast sync compatibility on the PFX. Would adding one of these in-line help in theory?

Dreamcast VGA Box -> VGA In/VGA Out using a CGA Converter Board -> PFX

I actually have one of these in another LCD cabinet I own so I should be able to test it pretty quickly. I know these are meant for converting CGA to VGA but it also has a VGA In

Features:

Latest & official GBS8200 HD-Converter Board.
Supports CGA/EGA/VGA/YUV Component Signal Input
Supports VGA Output (640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1360 x 768)
CGA/EGA/VGA signal auto scan (15KHz, 24KHz, 31KHz)
YUV Component signal auto scan (480i, 576i, 720i, 1080i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080p)
On Screen Display (English and Chinese)
Supports image position control & image zoom control
True digital 24-bit A/D converter for true 16.7-million color conversion.
Supports ALL types of VGA monitors (CRT, LCD, PDP, Projector, etc)

Specifications:

Input Power: 5VDC +/- 0.5v (2A)
Input signal:
CGA/EGA
14.5kHz - 16.5kHz
23.5kHz - 25.5kHz
30.5kHz - 32.5kHz
RGBHV: 30.5kHz - 32.5kHz
VGA: 30.5kHz - 32.5kHz
Ypbpr: 480p,576p,720p,1080p
Ycbcr: 480i,576i,720i,1080i
Output signal: VGA:640*480,800*600,1024*768,1360*768
User controls:
Input Switch, Image Zoom, Image Position,
Output Resolution ,RGB gain adjust.
71wbNOCI32L._SY355_.jpg

Dreamcast is funkey because that first screen white that spells out D R E A M C A S T isn't actually a true 31khz compliant signal.
Something like the Extron 580xi can fix this with a dip switch setting called "DDSP" (Digital Display Sync Processing)...

Pay no attention to other settings/equipment in this image, it was an example of how to feed a xRGB mini 480p via 8-pin mini din.
TodnliQ.jpg

Maybe. Keep us posted. So I picked up the Toro. While you picked up the Kuro. Here is why I picked the Toro:

It can output RGBHV and RGBS @31khz. By default, VGA 31khz is RGBHV but I know the low impedance connection on the Sanwa PFX can take an RGBS signal @15khz because I hook up my consoles to the Sanwa PFX using SCART cable->Sync Strike. I am going to assume the Dreamcast in 31khz mode outputs natively RGBHV because that is standard for VGA signals. If the Sanwa PFX can sync to that from the Toro, great. But if not, then I can flip to RGBS if it doesn't. And if the Dreamcast is indeed outputting RGBHV natively, enabling RGBS on the Toro means that the Toro is doing the work to combine H/V into C-sync. The hope here is whatever sync issues might be resolved by the Toro transcoding/combining/converting H/V sync into C-sync. Fingers crossed.

If not, well, I could use the Toro anyway. Anyways, hope the Kuro just works outright for you. I'd hate it if I achieved the desired result with the Toro and you don't get anywhere after picking up the Kuro.

On the Extron 580 compositing the syncs won't correct the non-compliant issue, you need DDSP settings as well.

OK had some positive results using the VGA Converter board as a pass through tonight. I believe this is the common one you can find on eBay for around $17.

• I had to use an LCD at first to change the VGA converter board to English and set the Display mode to the lowest setting which is VGA 640x480
  • Then I swapped the VGA cable to the PFX and I got a picture
  • Tested probably 2 hours worth of games tonight and my picture remained rock solid and never cut out!
  • All my testing is being done on the VGA connection on the PFX
  • Will update the thread with more results once I get my Kuro VGA Box

Kolee5V.jpg

rD56pGR.png

oVGcDZ2.jpg

FYI, the Behar Bros Toro works for VGA at the title screen and the date setting screen so far. I need to dig up a controller to see if it works with a game. Will try Sturmwind. But so far so good.

EDIT: I forget if I set it to RGBS or RGBHV. I'll check this weekend when I get home.

Last edited:
Great stuff. Thanks for confirming. I’m still waiting for my Kuro to show up.

Some pics to confirm. Notice the tell tale orange illuminated panel of the NNC? Not faked.

SturmwindonNNC.JPG
DCBootonNNC.JPG

Tested in VGA only. Didn't have time to test the rest and won't have time till the weekend. DC boot screen looked good. GDEmu menu looked good. Sturmwind looked good.

But 240p test suite looked like crap. Flickering galore. I think that is expected though. 240p test suite was meant for 15khz RGBS.

Tonight I did another test and instead of plugging my cheap VGA cable straight into the chassis (which was leading to video cutting in and out before) I tried using a Female to Female VGA gender changer and VIOLA it fixed the image cutting out.

I see the default VGA cable in these Naomi Net City cabinets is missing a PIN... I think I read that's Pin 9 that's not populated. Is this possibly what's causing my issue? Anyway, using the gender changer it seems to have solved the issue.
NeDXvJ9.jpg

jl6HZq7.jpg

It is normal for pin9 to be unpopulated, but great you have it working!

I too picked up an NNC from XeD's group buy. Never tried hooking up a DC at 31khz before however.
Another thing to check is to see if your VGA cable connection at the chassis is connected to the low impedence connection (VGA) and not the high impedence connection (15khz). If it is connected at the high impedence connection, I would expect that it does not work. But honestly don't know the chassis well enough to be sure either way.
That shouldn't prevent an image being displayed. I have a pair of those flat CRT tri-sync monitors an setting it for the higher voltage 15khz PCBs just results in a dimmer signal. The brightness would have to be turned way down to get no image at all.

The only time I get no image is when the sync type is wrong. My arcade monitors don't accept sync on green so it has to go through an Extron interface.

Yeah, me and the OP are beyond speculation and have moved into trials. We both bought new DC VGA adapters to work past the problem. The Toro I got works. OP is awaiting the Kuro nefore posting his results.

OK so finally my Kuro VGA Box arrived today from Turkey. Good news, so far it's working perfectly.

• 31khz VGA mode works great
  • 15khz RGB mode also works great, tested out some KOF99
The Sanwa PFX auto detects what signal is coming in via the VGA cable and displays either mode really well.

Back