What's new
The bootleg hardware actually blocks the flip screen DIP; the software can not see it. It is funny that you worked around it, but I doubt the boot hardware supports the function and they disabled it that way on purpose.

Base.bin should not be touched.

I'm curious why your cabinet is running in Namco rotation.

The bootleg hardware actually blocks the flip screen
Yeah, that's what i thought.

I'm curious why your cabinet is running in Namco rotation.
I don't know what's Namco rotation.

On my cab (Konami Domy HV), the tube is mounted upside down (the anode at the bottom).
Plugged on the "Reverse" connector on the chassis of course.
It rotates clockwise (anode on the left when vertical).

I'm gonna install 2 switches to flip the picture straight from the yoke connector then, as I guess it won't be the last time I'll have that issue.

It rotates clockwise
that's backwards from most cabs.

The vast majority of Vertical games are designed to be played with the monitor rotated counter clockwise from it's original horizontal position.

the biggest exception is Namco who, by default, has their games rotate counter-clockwise. (Hence: "Namco Rotation")

most games include a flip option, but if you play a lot of vertical games you're better off with counter-clock-wise rotation as that will have the best compatibility over-all.

It rotates clockwise
that's backwards from most cabs.
The vast majority of Vertical games are designed to be played with the monitor rotated counter clockwise from it's original horizontal position.

the biggest exception is Namco who, by default, has their games rotate counter-clockwise. (Hence: "Namco Rotation")

most games include a flip option, but if you play a lot of vertical games you're better off with counter-clock-wise rotation as that will have the best compatibility over-all.
All CAVE games on PGM and CV1000 also do this (and doesn't have screen flip) :(

All CAVE games on PGM and CV1000 also do this (and doesn't have screen flip)
yes unfortunately there are also some games that are rotated clock-wise and have no screen flip too, but it seems to be quite rare compaired to the counter-clock-wise with no flip games.

No?
wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCBs_that_may_need_a_Screen_Flip
That note doesn't specify what it considers to be "most games".

the CV1000 games I have in my collection are definitely CCW rotation.

Oh, yeah that might be correct.

I just remember Cave games typically being flipped the ”non standard” way, which I guess implies clockwise being standard?

Not sure of source of that though, probably AO, similar to that wiki link.

Older Cave titles like DDP seems to be clockwise

I don't know of a single Cave game that's clockwise rotation. I own both PGM and CV1000 boards.

No Cave Tate games (68000 or CV-1000) are by standard clockwise rotation. They’re all counter clockwise. As the link above specifies, some have a rotation option.

All cave games are counter-clockwise, which is considered by most people to be "standard". Clockwise is an outlier, mostly used by very old games and Namco titles. None of the ones that support a screen flip default to clockwise.

If you are playing STGs, then having your monitor rotated clockwise is not going to be as useful as one rotated counter-clockwise.

NO NO NO guys, ALL Cave games are counter-clock wise. Most shooters are CCW. If you are doing a shooter cab, you should go with CCW as it will serve you best.

Sorry guys, I just wanted to be part of the group.

We are all in violent-agreement on this topic!

Reactions: nem
Regarding the rotation of my cab, the fault is on me...

I didn’t reassemble the rotation mechanism properly after cleaning the cab.

The screen has square mounting points, as most Nanao monitors do.
When reassembling I mismatched the tube and the mech 90 degrees clockwise.
It means the tube rotates 90degrees clockwise and anti clockwise, but 90degree to far.

I’ll fix that on my next day off, it’s better than playing with yoke switches for now.

EDIT: It seems this cab only rotate clockwise, the rotating mechanism doesn't allow anti clockwise

Last edited:
Just going to leave this here... :P

tcVrCtf.jpg

Reactions: RGB
I hope that's an original Garegga PCB that's been converted to Lei Shen Zhuan. :D

I hope that's an original Garegga PCB that's been converted to Lei Shen Zhuan. :D
LOL
github.com/mikejmoffitt/bgaregga-bl-fixes
I really enjoyed reading your detailed notes there @Hatsune Mike, thank you for documenting those fixes!

I don't have one of these boards yet but in anticipation of one I made a small tweak to enable the hidden character selection without a code.

In 'xt-8m.bin', navigate to offset F855 and write '50'.

I'm terrible at inputting codes correctly, but love the Mahou Daisakusen characters. 8)

One other cool thing I noticed, when selecting a ship your button pressed chooses your ship's color pallet. In fact, button 3 is also an option! If you leave a character highlighted but do not select them, you get a 4th color pallet option.

Actually, pressing buttons 1, 2, and 3 together gets you the fourth variant. These variants have slight changes in the ship's movement speeds, shot power, and (I think) hitboxes. The 3-button version is generally the best of each ship. Waiting out the timer also works, but your rank will be a bit higher because it begins incrementing at the select screen.

I can see about integrating the Mahou characters by default, but I'd want to do it as an assembly expression rather than a binary patch. Good to know the location, though.

Actually, pressing buttons 1, 2, and 3 together gets you the fourth variant. These variants have slight changes in the ship's movement speeds, shot power, and (I think) hitboxes. The 3-button version is generally the best of each ship. Waiting out the timer also works, but your rank will be a bit higher because it begins incrementing at the select screen.

I can see about integrating the Mahou characters by default, but I'd want to do it as an assembly expression rather than a binary patch. Good to know the location, though.
That's good to know re: the 1+2+3 press and rank!

I think this should work for the assembly expression?

Code:
; Enable Mahou Daisakusen character selection
enable_mahou_characters:
	ORG $00F854
	st $10a6a7.l

There appears to be some different revisions of this PCB out there.

Here's the pic provided by the seller:

OzF9KYG.jpg

However, here's some pics of the PCB I received:

nsnjKfN.jpg

DtOd77z.jpg

0kqhHud.jpg

As you can see the sound program(?) has been switched from a DIP through-hole package to a surface mounted ROM, but the samples(?) is still a regular through hole EPROM.

Also, they added various ceramic capacitors to the board which actually have through hole mounting, though there are still are still a couple in the bodge fashion.

The PCB itself is of a higher quality construction than I was expecting and it has a keyed JAMMA edge as opposed to the non-keyed one I've been seeing pictures of.

The sticker near the JAMMA edge has dates of 2008/2009, but who knows if it was actually produced that late or if it was just checked or repaired at that time.

Unfortunately the video doesn't want to sync with my MS9 or MS2930 as-is, so that's a bummer. It does work fine via HAS supergun, but without audio.

The seller notes the following:
"this jamma pcb is special,cbox/supergun will be no sound,you can connect the jamma 10pin that sound will be work."

No idea what they are talking about regarding fixing sound on a supergun, but for me the video sync issue is a bigger problem.

Since it works fine on the HAS, I'm guessing a sync cleaner of some kind may fix this up for Nanao monitors?

In my pic, is the TEXT rom the W27C257-10, or the W27E257-12 next to it?

Back