What's new
Can you upgrade the Ramz so it can run DDP SDOJ with -1ms of lag?
Sorry, all CV1000 games come with an inherent 3 frames of lag to begin with, so the best we can do is 2.5.
This is not correct.
I know. It was a joke.

But while we're here: there is that post on cave-stg by EOJ claiming that there are 2 frames of lag on all of the CV1000 games that everyone always references (and was the base of my poking fun). Is that true?

Said post:
http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1767.0

What was the other board kingdom GP was hacked to run on years ago?
Obviousness says something that's super rare now LOL

Good to see it running on another board!

Get those FPGA's dumped and i don't see any other reason why you can't remake the hardware (slightly better with today's info)

Can you upgrade the Ramz so it can run DDP SDOJ with -1ms of lag?
Sorry, all CV1000 games come with an inherent 3 frames of lag to begin with, so the best we can do is 2.5.
This is not correct.
I know. It was a joke.
But while we're here: there is that post on cave-stg by EOJ claiming that there are 2 frames of lag on all of the CV1000 games that everyone always references (and was the base of my poking fun). Is that true?

Said post:
http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1767.0
2f checks out for a double buffered framebuffer system.

What was the other board kingdom GP was hacked to run on years ago?
Obviousness says something that's super rare now LOL

Good to see it running on another board!

Get those FPGA's dumped and i don't see any other reason why you can't remake the hardware (slightly better with today's info)
The FPGAs are still undumped and can't really be practically dumped without employing a microscope or other invasive methods. The A1010/A1020 series don't seem to have any readout mechanism. This is just a dump of the 9 PAL / GAL devices that make up some of the board's glue logic.

I don't know what else Kingdom GP was hacked to run on. Doing the opposite, getting it on Mahou Daisakusen, would not be too complicated, but would require a little knifing up of the PCB.

There won't ever be a good "toaplan 2" multi system. "Toaplan 2" isn't a single system or platform; once more the name of a MAME driver has become the title of a System 16 page and led to confusion. That driver just encompasses games that use Toaplan's second generation graphics custom, GP9001.

Yeah those actels / tms chips need old rare and expensive special kit (and appropriate old system to run the software)to read and write, and in most cases are locked.

They are starting to go on stuff like mortal kombat t-unit , gaelco and many others (100's of bootlegs too)

I said nothing of a multi, more of a remake of the bootleg but with all the fixes known today ;)

A FPGA GP9001 recreation is on the list of projects to do. However, I don't know that I'd want to bother with Mister.

A FPGA GP9001 recreation is on the list of projects to do. However, I don't know that I'd want to bother with Mister.
Yeah mister is a bit too far from original to be honest, but where to stop i guess.

I just had a look and can't find a reference to cartridges. They seem to be all-in-one boards?
Oh, you mean full boards, like the Apple II replica or the recent Amiga and C64 boards?
I made a start at some point on the M72 boards, but that is a low priority project right now.

Interesting question what you do with customs: You can obviously replace them with CPLDs or FPGAs, at the same time you may want to fit originals from corroded or otherwise damaged boards.

Also, the question with the Toaplan boards: if they are different boards that share a graphics chip, do you make different boards, or do you make a combined/configurable board? And how different are you from a custom Mister board at that point?

Last edited:
Yeah, an all in one full PCB repro similar to the Amiga A500++

Other than the two A1020s is there anything else on the board that would pose an issue to replicate?

I guess that depends on how authentic you want to be to the original boards or bootlegs. Some of the FPGAs used in bootlegs are probably out of production, some of the analog parts probably as well. At one extreme you have a huge modern FPGA on a tiny board with Jamma connector, at the other extreme you've got huge PCBs with everything implemented in discrete logic, you'll have to decide which point between them you want to target.

I would possibly start with a Mister core to find exactly what kind of hardware the games expect (especially with the double-buffer/DMA lag mentioned at the start of the thread), and then verify your design based on that.

This is nothing I've got time for right now, but it would be a cool project for someone. If someone gets to the stage of ordering PCB prototypes I'm happy to help with a preorder to finance them.

Hehe, i have the m84 about half done ;)
Out of the KNA chips what do you have reversed?
I put some thoughts into the CRAM/palette chip, though so far I focused on translating the schematic from the manual into KiCad...

How accurate are the garegga bootlegs in terms of gameplay?
Sortof curious on getting one

I don't have an original to compare for accuracy but I stopped looking for one after Mikes hack. This is certainly good enough to play and enjoy, it possibly has less input lag too.

I'd go for it, I very much doubt you'd have trouble selling a bootleg if you converted one.

I don't have an original to compare for accuracy but I stopped looking for one after Mikes hack. This is certainly good enough to play and enjoy, it possibly has less input lag too.

I'd go for it, I very much doubt you'd have trouble selling a bootleg if you converted one.
Good enough for me, is there anyone willing to just sell converted bootlegs? With the sound fixes?

I'm sure some $$$ for your time and effort would be the right path for me.

Good enough for me, is there anyone willing to just sell converted bootlegs?
one of the Chinese sellers already started doing that: https://www.ebay.com/sch/1/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=battle+garegga

With the sound fixes?
Sound fixes are different depending on which board version you get. the ones I posted are only applicable for that specific PCB version. from what others are saying the other PCBs don't need it, but I have no basis for comparison.

God, that guy asks crazy prices though (for shipping!). I think that's the guy who does the JJ Squawkers bootlegs too, but again, at $400+!

@sheep_nova can you take care of this? Your service and prices are always great! I wouldn't mind a BG and JJ "conversion/bootleg" at reasonable prices, as well as more trusted mod work.

Back