What's new
Not to hijack the thread but I acquired a couple of Sanwa JJLJ-PL2-8V however @alberto1225 repro panel he specifies it should fit the Sega Saturn sticks. Is there any difference in width or the base that would prevent the Sanwa from fitting?
yes, there is an enormous difference in the bases...

I've stated it many times before but pretty much every version of the these sticks have different mounting requirements.

That's not to say you can't make it work, but don't expect this stuff to just drop right in. Even codecrank here used adapter plates to make it work.
With the Sanwa JJLJ-PL2-V8 you may have other issues regarding depth as well.

@twistedsymphony

Not to hijack the thread but I acquired a couple of Sanwa JJLJ-PL2-8V however @alberto1225 repro panel he specifies it should fit the Sega Saturn sticks. Is there any difference in width or the base that would prevent the Sanwa from fitting?
Any information of the Sanwa JJLJ-PL2-8V mounting plate? My new version of VO panel will fit normal sanwa plate.

@twistedsymphony

Any information of the Sanwa JJLJ-PL2-8V mounting plate? My new version of VO panel will fit normal sanwa plate.
once I get them in, I'll forward a pair to you for fitting.

Ok so it cost me $500AUD just on shipping from the buyee warehouse for 2 of the x360 hori twin sticks. That's $350USD, just on shipping.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ok so it cost me $500AUD just on shipping from the buyee warehouse for 2 of the x360 hori twin sticks. That's $350USD, just on shipping.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
=O

ouch! they look like a pretty awesome controller though, didnt even know they were a thing!

WTF did they buy them each 1st class tickets?

either buyee is hosing you on that shipping cost, or you accidentally selected and expedited option.

WTF did they buy them each 1st class tickets?

either buyee is hosing you on that shipping cost, or you accidentally selected and expedited option.
They are heavy things + posting to Australia is always $$$. When they were available on play-asia years ago I almost got some but stopped when I saw some huge shipping cost. Needless to say my arcade projects are going to be on hold for a while.

Yeah but I had 3x sega model 2 boards with cages shipped to east coast usa. That's much bigger much heavier and much further and it cost much less than what you were charged.

Hell, I had a front end assembly for my Subaru shipped from Japan including bumper, the steel bumper bar, glass headlights, fog lights and all the associates brackets and it STILL didn't cost that much.

The Aussie postal infrastructure is not at all comparable...
thats not really relevant though. The way international postage works is that the costs are determined by the country where the package originates. So whether you're shipping to the USA or AUS, if the package originates in Japan the price is set by Japan. Australia's postal service doesn't get a cut of that money. They route it for free and in return they get to keep 100% of the money for packages they send internationally. That's why shipping FROM China is so dirt cheap, because hardly anyone ships anything TO China so they can afford to charge only what it costs to send packages to the ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: nem
46860357084_a28d96cc4a_b.jpg

slowly getting there. got an extra CF reader from @Mitsurugi-w ( great quality btw, we just need to find some straight through connectors so we can eliminate that scsi cable )

I made an 8 pin male AMP -> dual 6pin JST NH so I could power 2 IOs with 1 psu for testing ;)

The optical cables are awesome, perfect fit and they snap in tight. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VYKBPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

Ran stable overnight, I think it's good to go :D

That Naomi VOOT setup looks sweet! I want to see the final form :)

I don't want to invest more in the VOOT project, not after getting those third degree shipping burns lol. I have a temporary setup that has been a real hit with my mates, we played for hours! Going from the 2x x360 port LAN mode to real hardware is just not worth the cost for me.

Interestingly one of the triggers got stuck, opened it up, bit of reseating and lube and it seems to work better than all the others now. Maybe I should do some maintenance on both of them before I set them up permanently...

Can you share the design for the mounting bracket between the Saturn Twinsticks and the control panel?

I am creating a similar panel for Outtrigger using the Saturn Twinsticks and I would prefer not to drill holes through the panel to screw the sticks into from the top as it was in the original Saturn controller.

Thanks

Can you share the design for the mounting bracket between the Saturn Twinsticks and the control panel?

I am creating a similar panel for Outtrigger using the Saturn Twinsticks and I would prefer not to drill holes through the panel to screw the sticks into from the top as it was in the original Saturn controller.

Thanks
I build panels with self clinch studs, just peruse my flikr, it's all on there.

Small question, does the arcade panels use 24mm or 30mm center button?

they look very nice! Been considering in making a custom project myself too

Small question, does the arcade panels use 24mm or 30mm center button?

they look very nice! Been considering in making a custom project myself too
It's 24mm button on the original panel.

The Dreamcast TwinStick uses a 30mm one though, and I consider it's a better idea. Bigger and positionned lower on the panel makes it more accessible with your thumb I think.

By the way, an excellent alternative to build a panel is to import used Hori Twin Stick EX for 360. They are arcade quality shit, and way cheaper than original Sanwa sticks. I have scored 4 of them for like 200€ each, ports and taxes included.

Hori TwinStick EX are also better built than the Dreamcast, as the first run have a poor quality yellow actuator that will eventually break. It was later fixed with a new green actuator.

It's 24mm button on the original panel.

The Dreamcast TwinStick uses a 30mm one though, and I consider it's a better idea. Bigger and positionned lower on the panel makes it more accessible with your thumb I think.

By the way, an excellent alternative to build a panel is to import used Hori Twin Stick EX for 360. They are arcade quality shit, and way cheaper than original Sanwa sticks. I have scored 4 of them for like 200€ each, ports and taxes included.

Hori TwinStick EX are also better built than the Dreamcast, as the first run have a poor quality yellow actuator that will eventually break. It was later fixed with a new green actuator.
I have been considering doing so, either that or buy the Sanwa sticks that don't have the grips, and use the Saturn grips on them.

Thanks for letting me know on the Dreamcast TS differences.

also, I kight get w TS EX but a little later, whenever one pops or someone is willing to sell me one haha, at the very least a kind Japanese friend of me gave me her modded Saturn TwinStick to 360, which at the moment is a good entry point for me, in the meantime I can get the TS EX (I also want one, since the motherboard uses the R-Analog, so I can use it casually with other games).

As for the panel, I was considering extracting the circuitry, get new levers and make a new case, that's why I asked, because I wanted them to be as arcade accurate as possible.

Sorry for the long text, but at the same time, thanks for the answer, cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_201522.jpg
    IMG_20220601_201522.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 55
Back