What's new

codecrank

Professional
Reaction score
If any of you guys scour YAJ for these panels, you have an idea of the ridiculous prices they fetch. ( This is mostly due to the stick they used. )

So I started working a cheaper alternative, and doing a bit of experimenting in the process..

test #1 - Saturn twin stick
20160327113020%21Saturn_HSS-0151.jpg

this thing is SUPER CHEAP... I mean the build quality was crap in so many aspects... let's see here.. paper overlay ?? sure why not
46935266321_d8bd333090_z.jpg

crappy el chepo brand joystick ? of course !
46935275251_8de7e31988_c.jpg

standard 5pin JST connector ? get bent.
31994182477_47deefb4ee_c.jpg

maybe I can just replace the connector with a JST one !!?? well at least that's a start 8o
46230234574_ab5870e9fc_c.jpg

Test #1 . Dreamcast twin stick
676px-DreamcastTwinStick.jpg

Build much better, they're custom Seimitsu LS-56 sticks, but again I found myself with goofy connections to fix..
46883076792_a19b165442_c.jpg

this time I could NOT replace the connector , the pitch is different than NH connectors... :/
I found the connectors after some digging.. JST PHR-5 .. and got the wiring done.

46230234624_aaefdc8696_c.jpg

btw, these guys are also PH serie connectors
46021288995_043e5f8e1c_c.jpg

Alberto helped me out with the overlays, I just cut some panels to fit his overlays. :) for a stunning assembled product !

46935265821_5b1bb1f42f_c.jpg

31994192107_fdfffa857d_c.jpg

46902746442_a812fa26af_c.jpg

46902746372_9ee16ac6ca_b.jpg

stay tuned for some head2head setup pics :)

maybe you could test if the Saturn Grips will fit on the Dreamcast Sticks. though the Dreamcast Sticks don't look as bad as I thought they would.

If someone wants to teach me how to make resin molds to duplicate plastic parts I have a pair of NOS VOOT arcade grips, that I bought with the idea that I'd figure out how to repo them at some point.

Also, while the candy panels never made use of this, every VO game supports an illuminated start button. ;)

maybe you could test if the Saturn Grips will fit on the Dreamcast Sticks. though the Dreamcast Sticks don't look as bad as I thought they would.

If someone wants to teach me how to make resin molds to duplicate plastic parts I have a pair of NOS VOOT arcade grips, that I bought with the idea that I'd figure out how to repo them at some point.

Also, while the candy panels never made use of this, every VO game supports an illuminated start button. ;)
Making resin molds isn't all that difficult, you buy the stuff as a 2 part product and mix in a tub, then pour into your mold box (just some wood or whatever) youtube has plenty of videos on the subject.

The problem is doing good quality casts which as I understand it requires the use of a pressure pot, without it you end up with air bubbles in your casting.

Last edited:
The problem is doing good quality casts which as I understand it requires the use of a pressure pot, without it you end up with air bubbles in your casting.
yeah I've watched my share of videos on the subject but as with lots of things, the steps are simple but the details make all the difference.

Also, while the candy panels never made use of this, every VO game supports an illuminated start button. ;
Yeah they look great. I think with an orange start button they would look legit.

Speaking of illuminated start button. There's also support for the winner lamp bacuse you HAVE to set the Sega jamma/jvs io jumper to lamp output mode or the game locks up. Does start ever do anything during gameplay ? Like bomb or special ?

There's also support for the winner lamp bacuse you HAVE to set the Sega jamma/jvs io jumper to lamp output mode or the game locks up. Does start ever do anything during gameplay ? Like bomb or special ?
Yes there is also support for the winner lamp too AND for the Sega Versus Billboard. all 3 of these things are supported in every VO game except for Force on Hikaru. The start button doesn't have any functionality other than starting the game.

Fun fact.. these panels are not for the NAOMI version, they're for the Model 3 version of the game (hence why it says MSBS 5.2 or MSBS 5.4)
the NAOMI version used a completely different art style and the panels featured an additional button to the right of the right stick for the "Quick Message" function as well as a VMU port to the left of the left stick for loading in custom Color schemes that you could set at home on your Dreamcast.

there aren't too many pics of these around but you can see one here:
DBayVxhXgAAipWx.jpg

the artwork was like a rainbow-metalic circuit board, the whole cabinet was done in art like this.

They never made a candy panel version for NAOMI though, only a Twin unit version.

I've looked into this a bit, finding this stuff is stupidly hard, my ray of hope is this:

https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/95196

I think they are going to be around $400USD each. Wiring it up (or undamned usb decoder support) for Naomi is easy enough. Until then I've got Gundam VS.

I've looked into this a bit, finding this stuff is stupidly hard, my ray of hope is this:

camp-fire.jp/projects/view/95196
Don't buy that. the prototype they've released looks terrible.

buy a Hori PS3 or Xbox 360 Twin Stick. they can be had for about $150 these days and use really nice quality, arcade grade sticks.

camp-fire.jp/projects/view/95196
Don't buy that. the prototype they've released looks terrible.
buy a Hori PS3 or Xbox 360 Twin Stick. they can be had for about $150 these days and use really nice quality, arcade grade sticks.
Really? PM me links? All I can find are $950USD for those ones and nothing else.

Really? PM me links? All I can find are $950USD for those ones and nothing else.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j547309376

they very rarely go for more than $200 on YAJ, the PS3 variants tend to sell for less than the Xbox 360 variants mostly because the PS3 only has OMG and MARS.

And honestly if you're willing to pay $400USD for that PS4 thing, you can buy a proper arcade VOOT panel for that much.

I'm much happier paying $150ish USD, shipping and so on will probably cost a fortune but that's fine. Thanks!

Fun fact.. these panels are not for the NAOMI version, they're for the Model 3 version of the game (hence why it says MSBS 5.2 or MSBS 5.4)
the NAOMI version used a completely different art style and the panels featured an additional button to the right of the right stick for the "Quick Message" function as well as a VMU port to the left of the left stick for loading in custom Color schemes that you could set at home on your Dreamcast.

They never made a candy panel version for NAOMI though, only a Twin unit version.
Interesting, had I known I would have built a pair of them with VMU readers :) ( curious if one could use a dreamcast controller + vmu )

do you know what the extra button displays ?

I believe the qm button is to send your opponent one of a number of predefined messages. I've never played the arcade version with that button hooked up so I don't know for sure.

I'm thinking I might just modify my arcade games room plan for VOOT. Played last night and forgot how good it is... and how much better it would be if it wasn't on a pad!

@twistedsymphony

Not to hijack the thread but I acquired a couple of Sanwa JJLJ-PL2-8V however @alberto1225 repro panel he specifies it should fit the Sega Saturn sticks. Is there any difference in width or the base that would prevent the Sanwa from fitting?

Back