What's new

Outside of Time

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone encountered this before? The DVD drive does not power on whenever the IDE cable is plugged in. Whenever I remove the IDE cable from the DVD drive the DVD drive will power on. There is only a black display coming from the 246 rev B. I have attempted to remedy the situation to no avail.

1.Replace the ID cable
2.Replace the DVD drive
3.Replace the 246 power cables
4.Re-seat all the cables from the motherboard to the onboard I/O board
5. Use a different jvs 2 jamma I/O

Any ideas?

which game are you trying to run? Always the same one or different ones?

Power issues have been a constant issue I had to deal with with System 2x6, double check your volts.

It may be a dumb questions, but how long are you waiting for the drive to be active? I know it takes 15-30 seconds for the mobo to allow control to eject the drive (I assume you are using access light or the door moving as proof the "DVD drive will power on")

Are you hearing any beeps when booting? Those are supposed to help with troubleshooting.

As for the OP question if anyone has seen this before, it does sound familiar to me but I must have remedied it and just forgot what I did(so it must have been something common not worthy of remembering).

I know my 256 can freeze during boot when the 5v is too low.

Depends on how low it is set it freezes at different points.
Below 4.7 or so it freezes directly on boot with a black screen, if I set it slightly higher it will freeze during the intro/attract movie

The game I’m running is soul Calibur 2 or 3. My voltage is off the jamma edge is 5.1 on my super gun and 5.0 in my cab. There isn’t any sound on boot up. Ive let it run for about 2-3mins. The weird thing is I can’t even eject the dvd tray unless I remove the ide cable and then the light will flash on the dvd drive and allow me to eject the tray. It does this with any dvd drive I plug into the 246. I’ve had this 246 for years and it has never done this before. It’s been in storage in my closet until I recently decided to pull it out and play.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I doubt it. Are you connecting directly some headphones to the RCA connector on the console? Even without a dongle you should hear something.

PascalP is right, System 246 is really picky about 5 volt. Mine will only work with 5.2 volt and a good PSU.

Tighten the pins of the player's molex power connector

Too much clarity and this creates a bad contact

Back