What's new

aoiddr

Professional
Reaction score
I know the Chinese EPROM erasers are pretty common (like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ZYWR8O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ASYH6LJL1LF7Q&psc=1), but their quality is really suspect and aren't that fast to order/ship.

I don't see myself using it very often, so I was curious if something like a UV sterilizer for pacifiers would work?
Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Tinukim-Port...549240451&sr=1-15&keywords=UV+Sterilizer&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CP...qid=1549240451&sr=1-13&keywords=UV+Sterilizer
[This article suggest you'd run an Eprom through the cycle at least twice: https://hackaday.com/2010/01/12/dont-put-that-eprom-in-your-mouth/ ]

Any other suggestions?

[This article suggest you'd run an Eprom through the cycle at least twice: https://hackaday.com/2010/01/12/dont-put-that-eprom-in-your-mouth/ ]

Any other suggestions?
HACKADAY said:
Most people don’t want to drop a few hundred dollars on a dedicated EPROM eraser, there must be another way.
Few hundred dollars? Really? A good EPROM eraser is probably in the same price range that pacifiers steriliser is...
Pros:
- it's free
Cons:
- only works between sunrise and sunset on sunny days and still takes several days to weeks to erase...
:D

I read a hack for using a toothbrush steriliser to erase EPROMS... anyone attempt that?

I just bought a big-ass used industrial eraser on eBay. it was cheaper than the Chinese ones and the thing looks like it could survive nuclear fall out (it also looks like it's from the game fallout)

I think I paid like $15 shipped. the thing is great, it's super fast and hold a ton of chips
spectroline_pe14.jpg

When you search on eBay a good way to weed out the Chinese crap is to just search by used.

Also an ebay find for around $80. I too used to use the Chinese eprom eraser that many have used- just didn't cut it. Keep your eye's open on ebay for these type- they are workhorses.epromb.jpeg

Did some research on this subject. Although at 400nm (nano meters), binary code from EPROM's begins to erase, 250nm is the ideal UV wavelength for EPROM erasing. This so happens to be the ideal wavelength for sterilization applications. So therefore, getting a germicidal lamp, adapting it for EPROM erasing isn't a stretch at all.Here is my DIY plan because I am a cheap bastard:
  • Bought an inexpensive germicidal lamp ($11)
  • Will buy a drywall mud tray from Home Depot to adapt into a reflector ($4). This will also trap all the harmful rays of UV light as well
  • Cut a hole in the side of the mud tray just big enough for the AC wire to go through
  • Will ensure the distance between the bulb and the EPROM's is 2.5cm
    • Will measure the distance between bottom of mud tray to top of mud tray height
    • Will measure the distance between back of bulb ballast and top of bulb
    • Will cut plastic spacers to insure that the bulb is suspended 2.5cm above the top of the EPROM's
    • Will drill holes in the bottom of the mud tray so I can zip tie this together
  • When it comes time to erase EPROM's,
    • Will trace out from a foam rubber sheet that is as big as the mud tray opening
    • Draw a line through the middle of it lenght-wise
    • Will line EPROM's in a row on the foam rubber sheet
    • Lay the mud tray face-down over the top of the foam rubber sheet/EPROM's
    • Set timer on my cell phone and walk away
This setup should be more than enough for my hobbyist needs where I would be working on a full board's EPROM's at a time. The 9" length of the bulb and the amount of chips I have to erase at any given time is more than enough for this application. Only problem right now is my programmer is buggy so I might not know how well this works. In theory, should be fine. Will take pics as I go and keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
FYI, I got the germicidal lamp today from Amazon. So far, so good.

Germicidal_Lamp.JPG

In this pic, I have a row of EPROM's laid shoulder to shoulder on the bottom of a CPS2 B-board tray. Then I have the lamp bridged over the cartridge slots so the lamp bulb is a cm or two above the EPROM windows. Set the timer on my phone for 20 minutes and walked away. Threw a padded envelop over it to cover the light rays as a makeshift rig. It will hold me over till a put together a more elegant reflector. I can report it works great for erasing EPROM's. Burning through a CPS2 conversion no sweat!

I think with some foam rubber sheeting tri-folded into a reflector will allow me to line up EPROM's around 3 sides of the lamp. I can erase a ton of chips at a time that way. I'll add an outlet timer later. Solid project so far and well worth the pursuit.

This is the video I watched that lead me down the path to find an alternative for EPROM erasing:

This Kerry Wong cat does a great job of explaining that 250nm is the ideal UV wavelength to erase EPROM's. He analyzes the cheap eBay eraser's spectrum we all have. From there, it was just figuring out what bulbs I could get that outputs 250nm. Then from there, I found industrial applications for UV lighting. This lead me to look for sterilization/germicidal lamps that are right at the required 250nm spectrum. I found this one on Amazon.

It does work great so far. I think now I will work on figuring out shortest set time to achieve blank EPROM's.

Last edited:
I just bought a big-ass used industrial eraser on eBay. it was cheaper than the Chinese ones and the thing looks like it could survive nuclear fall out (it also looks like it's from the game fallout)

I think I paid like $15 shipped. the thing is great, it's super fast and hold a ton of chips
spectroline_pe14.jpg

When you search on eBay a good way to weed out the Chinese crap is to just search by used.
Exactly what I have too!
Also an ebay find for around $80. I too used to use the Chinese eprom eraser that many have used- just didn't cut it. Keep your eye's open on ebay for these type- they are workhorses.epromb.jpeg
I have one of these I bought at Weird Stuff as well, but it was missing the door and I haven't needed something so big, so it's just sitting in storage.

Side note, "unreliable" is being conservative in calling out the Chinese erasers. iirc they'll actually not just not work, but good chance ruin your chips because of the wavelength they use. It is NEVER an in a pinch alternative if you need something quick.

Gotcha, thanks for the second opinion. Someone who does this stuff regularly told me that, took it at face value.

Back