What's new
This sounds awesome. Sorry, I am not as familiar with the Taito X2 setup - trying to do some research on it right now. From what I can take on it - it is a PC based system (such as Sega Lindbergh) but is much more open to other uses such as emulators (MAME) to be run from it. So basically, with Niko's setup here - you add the roms and basically the Taito X2 will run all the Taito X2 games, MAME - any version you want, and any other emulator that is PC based?
Is there a complete list of Taito X2 games that will work with the multi-setup somewhere?
In the end; you get a multi-game setup with original Taito X2 hardware to run the Taito games (through JVS) as well as a PC that an run any emulator (MAME, etc.) all from the same front-end and run through JVS to be used with a JVS I/O (Jamma) - same as used for Naomi/Chihiro/Triforce? If so - that is awesome. Thanks for clarifying.

Cool idea. I wish we could get the NesicaXLive frontend but that seems a bit unrealistic. :D

I messed around with making a TypeX theme with Mala but abandonned it because I wasn't satisfied with the end result.

2rqeko3.jpg

The only suggestion I would have would be to be able to change games without having to reboot.
Yea maybe if I was better at GUI development. Right now the GUI is probably going to be a 630x470 window with a list box on the left half, a 300x200 picture box in the upper right corner where a "game image" will be displayed, and some labels in the lower right corner that will give info such as CPU,RAM,HDD,Version,etc.

I'm also planning to have a button combo escape to escape the game you're currently playing and return to the menu. It will probably be something like "START+TEST".
This sounds awesome. Sorry, I am not as familiar with the Taito X2 setup - trying to do some research on it right now. From what I can take on it - it is a PC based system (such as Sega Lindbergh) but is much more open to other uses such as emulators (MAME) to be run from it. So basically, with Niko's setup here - you add the roms and basically the Taito X2 will run all the Taito X2 games, MAME - any version you want, and any other emulator that is PC based?
Is there a complete list of Taito X2 games that will work with the multi-setup somewhere?
In the end; you get a multi-game setup with original Taito X2 hardware to run the Taito games (through JVS) as well as a PC that an run any emulator (MAME, etc.) all from the same front-end and run through JVS to be used with a JVS I/O (Jamma) - same as used for Naomi/Chihiro/Triforce? If so - that is awesome. Thanks for clarifying.
Yea pretty much, the system is essentially a PC running 32bit WindowsXPe.

Every TypeX2 game will work with the multi, the limiting factor would be your setup. Some games require extra stuff like card readers, two monitors, etc. But most of those arn't publicly available.

When its all setup you will have an X2 to that can play whatever game you put on it including emulators and have it all controlled via JVS.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps another dumb question - will the multi freeware work on "any" PC or does it "have" to be the original Taito X2 hardware? Since it is essentially a PC running Windows XP - if I happen to have an extra Windows XP PC around with similar specs - can I load the freeware on a SSD drive and basically run the full Taito X2 setup/games by adding the roms and other emulators such as MAME?

Thanks for the info. Perhaps another dumb question - will the multi freeware work on "any" PC or does it "have" to be the original Taito X2 hardware? Since it is essentially a PC running Windows XP - if I happen to have an extra Windows XP PC around with similar specs - can I load the freeware on a SSD drive and basically run the full Taito X2 setup/games by adding the roms and other emulators such as MAME?
No it wouldnt boot, and even if it did you would need some way to accept JVS input.

@Niko

What case are you using for your custom X2, looks pretty sweet?

Your game menu sounds good already alot better than the multi we have now!

Last edited:
What case are you using for your custom X2, looks pretty sweet?
That gorgeous case is an Apevia X-QPACK3-RD Micro ATX Cube Gaming/HTPC Case. Its perfect for the TTX2.
Niko, did you have any issues using/adapting the EVGA PSU?
Yep that's the case.

No problems using the PSU, everything was standard. Only real issue was adapting the "front panel". Normally the front panel header goes to the JVS card but if you want to use the power button and power/hdd leds you need to bring pins 1,7,8 (i think, I'll have to double check.) off the header into the JVS card otherwise you get an I/O error.

No problems using the PSU, everything was standard. Only real issue was adapting the "front panel". Normally the front panel header goes to the JVS card but if you want to use the power button and power/hdd leds you need to bring pins 1,7,8 (i think, I'll have to double check.) off the header into the JVS card otherwise you get an I/O error.
Nice, can you please verify. I have an extra TTX2 on the way and I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Nice, can you please verify. I have an extra TTX2 on the way and I am thinking of doing the same thing.
Ok, So this is what the front panel header of the motherboard looks like. The 3 pins marked in red have to be connected to the JVS card or you will get an I/O error. Fortunately they have nothing to do with the lights, or buttons so you dont need to tap into them or anything. I just used a male to female jumper wire like you would use with a breadboard.

5j6Hcrp.png

Ok so I've been working on the UI lately. Here is a rough idea of what it will probably look like. One of my buddies is going to try and make me some nicer looking boarders and add some color/depth to it. But for the most part, this is probably what the layout will look like.

Kwo8d1l.jpg

Awesome, it's simple and loads up what you need to know. Much better than Joerg menu

looks great! If you could have the game logo like in your example and add in one game screen shot pic it would be totally perfect! If that's not doable I'm still plenty happy with what you have shown :)

Looks real good Niko. You think you could list game details? Like # of players, Vertical or Horizontal screen layout and the like? or maybe explain how to modify the image and text content for the games in the menu UI. I am so super excited for you to release this.

Sorry I should have explained.

The game image and text can be whatever you choose. The multi pulls the image and info text from the respective files in the game's folder. So you can use a logo, a screen shot, a picture of Niko, it doesnt matter. The game info text I just pulled from wikipedia for the sake of this example but again it can be whatever you wish.

Once the multi is released I will give detailed instructions how to setup game images and info.

Just found out about this. This is sweet! Can't wait.

Thank you brother, all good stuff. Cant wait for you to release this.

Back