What's new
hi @Niko
I have a question. Driving games such as Wacky Races, it would be very difficult to make them work with multi that work in a driving cab
Or shooting games

I'm also interested on this. Would be nice to have those racing games running on my cabinet.

My only reservation is running it outside the cab. I want everything inside and even the smallest case Ive found isn't a perfect fit for inside cab use.
did you tried a desktop case ?
New-Small-micro-ATX-CS-2002-PC-Desktop-Chassis-Case-Computer-Chassis-[2]-10415-p.jpg
this is great for low profile cards, but this is not compatible with the insert for the JVS serial card that's in the TTX2.
you'd need something like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163205&ignorebbr=1
There is some of them with horizontal cards inserts, so it stays low profile, add some riser cards and you have a very fit ttx2 !

I'm also interested on this. Would be nice to have those racing games running on my cabinet.
Any game that works on a normal pc should run if you use his keyboard emulator. and bind the controls to a kb

We are talking about making them work with analog JVS controls

It would be awesome to be able to play Battle Gear 4 on my Crazi Taxi Cab

the issue is taito use a specific io board for BG4 not sure about the others so you will need to source that. but after that you should be able to load bg4 fine.

the problem with a multi for racing games is every game can have a different button/analog layout.

now a multi with iniz or winters jvs project in theory could work and would also be glorious ;).

hmmmm idea have the multi tell the jvs tool to load the correct profile based on which game is launched :D

My only reservation is running it outside the cab. I want everything inside and even the smallest case Ive found isn't a perfect fit for inside cab use.
did you tried a desktop case ?
New-Small-micro-ATX-CS-2002-PC-Desktop-Chassis-Case-Computer-Chassis-[2]-10415-p.jpg
this is great for low profile cards, but this is not compatible with the insert for the JVS serial card that's in the TTX2.you'd need something like this:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163205&ignorebbr=1
There is some of them with horizontal cards inserts, so it stays low profile, add some riser cards and you have a very fit ttx2 !
True, but I wish you luck finding one with TWO horizontal card ports. Because you need one for the JVS inputs/Dip Switch ports and one for the video card. -From what I have found (or DIDN'T find, for that matter.. ), there's isn't a low profile version of this video card. I did find a german site selling them for 30 euro (now sold out), but I'm not convinced it's correct. If you CAN find a low profile card, you won't even NEED the riser since the JVS and dipswitches are on the shield.

Last edited:
Any game that works on a normal pc should run if you use his keyboard emulator. and bind the controls to a kb
What games did you try?
I dont have a TTX2, but Niko designed A JVS ---> Keyboard interpreter This is how Deamon bride, and the rest of the EXamnu games work on the multi so in thoery you should be able to use this system to run just bout anything that runs on a normal PC and the ttx is able to run

So since Wackey Races Runs on a PC with Keyboard controls, you setup the game to use a keyboard. and launch it while running the jvs - > keyboard interpreter you will not be using your "io" board to directly talk to the game but it is a cheesey solution that will let just about anything run on a type X that is able to run on such a low end computer.

What games did you try?
I dont have a TTX2, but Niko designed A JVS ---> Keyboard interpreter This is how Deamon bride, and the rest of the EXamnu games work on the multi so in thoery you should be able to use this system to run just bout anything that runs on a normal PC and the ttx is able to run
So since Wackey Races Runs on a PC with Keyboard controls, you setup the game to use a keyboard. and launch it while running the jvs - > keyboard interpreter you will not be using your "io" board to directly talk to the game but it is a cheesey solution that will let just about anything run on a type X that is able to run on such a low end computer.
would you make us a "kb to jvs interpreter for dummies" post one day ? :love:

I am fairly sure such a a thing already exist.

The method to use this is not clean cut, and I dont think niko would ever design it be, since his goal is always running real games 1st

Step 1: AHK, or make a static application of your own accord to shut off all multi features on game selection
Step 2: Use Nikos |JVS tool To compile a JVS to keyboard emulator
Niko's JVS tool (Source code inside)

Step3 Apon launch this application needs to close all currently open multi features, then launch step2 the second your games processid is closed it needs to reopen the multi suite of processes

Few things to note you can only run somethings, and they need to be self contained, games that require higher service pack, or require v++ files may or may not work correctly and installing featurtes into the os can lead to things being broken.
Quoting Myself For Deep

What games did you try?
I dont have a TTX2, but Niko designed A JVS ---> Keyboard interpreter This is how Deamon bride, and the rest of the EXamnu games work on the multi so in thoery you should be able to use this system to run just bout anything that runs on a normal PC and the ttx is able to runSo since Wackey Races Runs on a PC with Keyboard controls, you setup the game to use a keyboard. and launch it while running the jvs - > keyboard interpreter you will not be using your "io" board to directly talk to the game but it is a cheesey solution that will let just about anything run on a type X that is able to run on such a low end computer.
would you make us a "kb to jvs interpreter for dummies" post one day ? :love:
I cannot as I have no way of testing if it works, however if you look at the launch paramaters that should keep the one that runs deamon bride open and use that as a base

As mentioned above, if you have the proper I/O board for the game. Then you could add those games to the multi.

The problem right now, also mentioned above is that the multi interface is not controllable using those I/O boards.

If any of the guys making the multi purpose I/O baords want to work together on a solution like @corey mentioned. I'd be willing to offer my support. It should be fairly easy to send a custom JVS command to the I/O so it knows what profile to load.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, if you have the proper I/O board for the game. Then you could add those games to the multi.

The problem right now, also mentioned above is that the multi interface is not controllable using those I/O boards.

If any of the guys making the multi purpose I/O baords want to work together on a solution like @corey mentioned. I'd be willing to off my support. It should be fairly easy to send a custom JVS command to the I/O so it knows what profile to load.
pinging @winteriscoming

If any of the guys making the multi purpose I/O baords want to work together on a solution like @corey mentioned. I'd be willing to offer my support. It should be fairly easy to send a custom JVS command to the I/O so it knows what profile to load.
I live right across the river from you... :)

My MEGA JVS is in the configuration of a Sega Type 1, so would it be worth it from a wiring perspective? I'm not familiar at all with TTX and the types of cabinets and wiring used.

My MEGA JVS is in the configuration of a Sega Type 1, so would it be worth it from a wiring perspective? I'm not familiar at all with TTX and the types of cabinets and wiring used.
they use a slightly different wiring setup but you might get away with using the sega to taito converter board in reverse for the digital part. the analog inputs are the same i think for the jvs systems.

software wise the game string compares the return from the board id command and proceeds if it matches. i dont think the io boards have anything really special about them compared to other io boards.

they use a slightly different wiring setup but you might get away with using the sega to taito converter board in reverse for the digital part. the analog inputs are the same i think for the jvs systems.
software wise the game string compares the return from the board id command and proceeds if it matches. i dont think the io boards have anything really special about them compared to other io boards.
I don't know what all has been logged from stock hardware and the various I/Os, but it's my understanding that the JVS spec allows for custom commands between the game and compatible I/O. The ID and features reply can be spoofed, so that a custom I/O could pass any checks, but if there are custom commands, then the acks and expected outcome would need to be known. I haven't had to accomodate any custom commands yet in the Sega boards and games I have access to.

So is TTX2 strict about I/Os for every game? Stock Sega Type 1 wouldn't work for anything?

So is TTX2 strict about I/Os for every game? Stock Sega Type 1 wouldn't work for anything?
I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the Sega Type 1 I/O wasn't compatible with the TTX so I never bothered to test it out until recently.
At first, the game recognized the I/O board but not the inputs. Then I read a tip from andygeezer on AO:
Do a loop cable from pin 1 to pin 3 on the 60pin connector, otherwise inputs will not work.
tried it with SSFIV and it worked! :D

Last edited:

I live right across the river from you... :)

they use a slightly different wiring setup but you might get away with using the sega to taito converter board in reverse for the digital part. the analog inputs are the same i think for the jvs systems.software wise the game string compares the return from the board id command and proceeds if it matches. i dont think the io boards have anything really special about them compared to other io boards.
I don't know what all has been logged from stock hardware and the various I/Os, but it's my understanding that the JVS spec allows for custom commands between the game and compatible I/O. The ID and features reply can be spoofed, so that a custom I/O could pass any checks, but if there are custom commands, then the acks and expected outcome would need to be known. I haven't had to accomodate any custom commands yet in the Sega boards and games I have access to.
Haha small world! I imagine those interested could adapt the wiring as needed. Or if your solution is open source, maybe someone could do a run of PCBs for different setups.

As far as the custom commands go, we can just use a different sync byte to prevent collisions with custom commands from games. So for example, all legitimate JVS packets use 0xE0, we could use 0xA0 and then continue to use the same packet structure.

my sega jamma - jvs needed a couple of resistors soldering on it to spoof the coin meter for it to work properly - same issue with some of the aw conversions.

As far as the custom commands go, we can just use a different sync byte to prevent collisions with custom commands from games. So for example, all legitimate JVS packets use 0xE0, we could use 0xA0 and then continue to use the same packet structure.
With regards to the commands you'd want to send for profile switching, sure, anything outside of the standard JVS commands could potentially be used. When I was referring to "custom" commands in my earlier post, I was talking about the potential for a game and dedicated I/O to have custom commands within the JVS spec.

Per the version 3 manual I have:
メーカーユニークコマンド
Google translates this to:
Manufacturer unique command

They can be anywhere from 0x60 to 0x7F. I'm curious to know if TTX games commonly utilize any of these unique commands when they see a specific Taito I/O. If so, then what are they for outside of normal digital inputs, outputs and analog inputs which I would expect fall within the normal commands?

I haven't done any analysis, but I believe NAMCO games will issue NAMCO specific commands to their I/Os when they see one present. I theorize that Mario Kart Arcade GP 1 and 2 use these commands since the camera is attached to 3 pins on the NAMCO I/O. However in the case of the NAMCO games I've come across they don't require a NAMCO I/O, so they'll still work with others without accommodations for the unique commands.

my sega jamma - jvs needed a couple of resistors soldering on it to spoof the coin meter for it to work properly - same issue with some of the aw conversions.
I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the Sega Type 1 I/O wasn't compatible with the TTX so I never bothered to test it out until recently.
At first, the game recognized the I/O board but not the inputs. Then I read a tip from andygeezer on AO:

tried it with SSFIV and it worked!
These comments are making me think maybe the TTX games aren't that strict? Some Sega games require coin meters, and I think it's par for the course to have that jumper wired for inputs to work on Sega Type 1 I/Os. The nice thing is that my MEGA JVS doesn't need any of that. It tells the games that everything is ok with regards to coins and there's no check for a jumper to activate inputs.

So this leads me to question what's required on the driving games? Is it that the standard Taito I/O just lacks features these games require? In the restrictive games I've run into, it has been solely restricted to features, which is a reply to a separate command than the board ID. The games don't care what I call the board, but they care what feature it claims to have.

I imagine those interested could adapt the wiring as needed. Or if your solution is open source, maybe someone could do a run of PCBs for different setups.
I'm not planning to release the board as open source, but I'd certainly be willing to work with you or someone else on putting together TTX-specific revision if there's demand. Otherwise a wiring adapter is probably the way to go.

However, if we're talking people trying to boot up driving games in their fighting cabs, what's the purpose? I'd think you'd be better off working with @invzim and his I/O project where you could use USB controllers. My I/O is pretty much designed for in-cabinet use.

Back