What's new

UrnHurrell

Student
Reaction score
I'm trying to do this with either a 500GB HDD or an 80GB SSD - both SATA with an IDE converter
Both are my Drive 1 (because I just swap between the two, thanks to a lack of room in my PC haha

So, my problem is extracting the game through chdman to my "drive 1"

my cmd line is C:\(My chdman and fud-hdd0-a.chd folder)> chdman extracthd -i fud-hdd0-a.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 -f

Then it acts like it recognizes everything but the output file.
It just says \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 file undetected (or something to that nature)

I then just type chdman extracthd -i fud-hdd0-a.chd -o physicaldrive1 -f
it writes it to the file name in said folder and I've tried dragging and dropping into the HDD or SSD (knowing I needed a full image, but desperate) and nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated. I just want to get the game up and running, and I'm sure I'm just making a rookie mistake haha

Haven’t done this one myself but absent anyone with a confirmed method, try

chdman extractraw -i fud-hdd0-a.chd -o fud-hdd0-a.img

Then try using win32discimager to write it to the hdd.

At least that’s what I think this says... https://gorigo.exblog.jp/27188441/

He also says he had trouble with sata to ide converters, but it might not be an issue for you.

Haven’t done this one myself but absent anyone with a confirmed method, try

chdman extractraw -i fud-hdd0-a.chd -o fud-hdd0-a.img

Then try using win32discimager to write it to the hdd.

At least that’s what I think this says... https://gorigo.exblog.jp/27188441/

He also says he had trouble with sata to ide converters, but it might not be an issue for you.
I see. I tried it and when I got to the win32discimager step, I realized it only works with USB or SD devices. Is there anyway I can write the img file to my drive via internal sata?

It’s not going to be an internal drive for long...
;)

Take it out and use a usb to sata connector? they’re like 8 bucks, I’ve had good experiences with even the cheap ones. I’m not sure what software would write an img file to an internal drive but there certainly could be something out there.

If it does work let us know the devices you used. I was trying to get DOMs to work but had no luck. The 246 is expecting an ide hdd so it might be picky when you use a sata.

Attention :cursing: from the moment we plug an arcade based HDD PS2 / PS3 Ect... windows will write on in the MBR without asking you anything.
And the Disk will be unusable after :thumbdown:

Take it out and use a usb to sata connector
I've got one of these SATA to USB HDD docks...
31Yde4Ev0UL._SX355_.jpg

It was dirty cheap (I think around 20$) and accepts both sizes (3.5-inch/2.5-inch) of hard drive.

Attention :cursing: from the moment we plug an arcade based HDD PS2 / PS3 Ect... windows will write on in the MBR without asking you anything.
What version of windows? Do you mean internal hdd's? That's not been my experience anyway; or at least after doing whatever operation I want to do, it's been usable.

Last time I used Windows 10 disk manager I believe it asked me if I wanted to treat the drive as MBR, Guid or RAW.
I think only older versions of Windows still force you into MBR with no option out... But I'm honestly not 100% sure, it's been a while.

It’s not going to be an internal drive for long...
;)

Take it out and use a usb to sata connector? they’re like 8 bucks, I’ve had good experiences with even the cheap ones. I’m not sure what software would write an img file to an internal drive but there certainly could be something out there.

If it does work let us know the devices you used. I was trying to get DOMs to work but had no luck. The 246 is expecting an ide hdd so it might be picky when you use a sata.
I'll definitely let you know the exact serials and brands of everything if I finally get it all up and running!

HDD Raw Copy Tool will write to internal drives:

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/
Trying this immediately! Thanks!

If this is true, thanks for the heads-up! I'm currently using a standard intel ssd, so it should be a non-problem, but it's certainly something to know for the future haha
Take it out and use a usb to sata connector
I've got one of these SATA to USB HDD docks...
31Yde4Ev0UL._SX355_.jpg

It was dirty cheap (I think around 20$) and accepts both sizes (3.5-inch/2.5-inch) of hard drive.
If the internal write tool doesn't work, I'll try one of these. Thanks!

I use the command dd under Ubuntu I made an entire copy of my HDD of my Namco Sytem 256 as a precaution ;)

So, after just using HDD Raw Copy Tool, I got just a black screen.
I'm using the power supply that came with my CPS2, and I have the POT switch all the way up. It runs all of my disc 2X6 games, but would that be a problem?
There's literally no sound or "system... .. ......" video - Just a visibly and audibly powered screen.
I'm using the fud-hdd0-a.chd that's in the rollup pack. I extracted it via the method above, and wrote it to the SSD through HDD Raw Copy Tool.

Hardware I'm using:
IDE to SATA converter: JP103-5
SSD: Intel SSDSA2M080G2GC

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! You guys are awesome!

Do you have a regular parallel ATA drive you could try?

Ok, had a chance to test it a bit. A successful extraction method is extracthd directly to the target drive. Haven’t tested extractraw. For all tests I'm just using a cheap IDE->USB connection to my computer, and an external 5v power source.

worked: chdman extracthd -i fud-hdd0-a.chd -o \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 -f

It did not work on my Hyperdisk 8gb DOM device.
It froze at "Boot 2" on my SD->IDE device "sd35vc0". Considering how long it took to write, I expect it just wasn't fast enough. I may try other SD cards later.

I will try on a CF->IDE device as soon as I get in a larger CF card.

It worked by overwriting my Gundam vs Gundam Next original HDD. Pour one out for my gundam...

Also Windows 10 created no issue; didn't write anything to a master boot record or whatever. Granted I never initialize it, and use Diskpart from a command prompt to make sure it was e.g. DRIVE2.

Last edited:
it's possible that it doesn't fit the DOM...

the MAME Driver lists some of the original HDD sizes:
Battle Gear 3 - 20GB
Battle Gear 3 Tuned - 30GB
Cobra The Arcade - 40GB
Fate / Unlimited Codes - 80GB
Gundam vs Gundam Next - 80GB
Zoids Infinity - 40GB
Zoids Infinity Ex Plus - 20GB

while most of those games aren't nearly that size... some of them are over 8GB. and it's possible that the image could be setup to fill the whole 80GB worth of space.

The chdman extract completed, both on the DOM and the SD card (I think that was 8gb also but I’ll check). They both took a few minutes to write, whereas the actual hdd wrote very quickly, so I’m thinking speed is an issue. The SD did get to “boot 2” onscreen before freezing so it feels like the image wasn’t the full 80gb. The info flag says logical size is only 2gb, if recall.

Course I do agree that it could be an issue. Maybe the “boot 2” process is “scan to make sure the drive is 80gb” or something. Just hoping it’s not, since I’d love to consolidate these hdd games as well as replace the actual hdd with something that doesn’t spin.

I tried my SD->IDE device "sd35vc0" with a 128gb SD card, and it also hung on "boot 2". So either the SD->IDE device sucks, or something in the boot sequence is looking for drive geometry like 80gb-exactly, or something else is going on. The logical size of Fate Unlimited (fud-hdd0-a.chd) is only 2.6gb, and the writes always succeed. That's different than, for example, gundam vs gundam next where it does write the full 80gb (and it takes a loooong time), and the chdman info gives us 80gb as a logical size.

I don't think there are 80gb SD cards out there, so it would be nice to get around this somehow. At least the 80gb drives are available on ebay, but I wonder if anyone else has had any luck... and by anyone else I basically mean @brizzo

Last edited:
Back