What's new

Maruchan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all! So I have a darksoft board that I use I my blast city. When I first got it I had no problems rewriting games to which ever I felt like. During the course of maybe 2-3 years, I have changed the game on there quite a few times.

The problem I'm having is, (x) amount of rewrites later, the board let's me select a game to rewrite but it happens to stop usually around 33%-34%.

I wouldnt say its exactly freezing ? Because I can see the little guy dancing next to the cps3 logo. As I'm typing this , the last percent i saw it change was from the 33 to 34, and that took about an hour to do. Getting to 33 or 34% doesnt take long .

Question , has anyone experienced this kind of problem before? If so what is the solution?

Other info :
  • This same problem happened once before. How It happen to fix itself was , turning it off and letting it rewrite to 2nd impact on it's own, then changing it to whatever game I wanted.
  • My cps3 board has the cd drive and not that little card reader thing if that matters.
****** EDIT******
Image of screen at 34%
http://imgur.com/gallery/GP99951

IMAGE OF SIMM CHECK ON 2ND IMPACT

http://imgur.com/gallery/0SmVqaL

******EDIT , PROBLEM SOLVED******

So, upon further inspection and tests, I have determined it is the cd drive.

Here are some things I tried to figure it out:
  • Turn up voltage on power supply, my thinking was that the cd drive wasn't getting enough juice to keep on while it was rewriting.Tries writing other cps3 games before writing 4th strike. ( tried this with all cps3 games, about 10 times overall)
  • Tried using my friends blast city cab, thinking maybe my power supply or something was up.
  • Final thing was to try using his CD drive in replace to mine. It ended up working and loading fine.
Solution :

Convert my cd drive to a scsi2sd!

The reason for this order of trial and error was simply because of my work schedule and time. I want able to go to my friends house and try out his cd drive until a week or two later.

Last edited:
SIMMs failed or started failing? Sounds like it... When they die they won't rewrite.

SIMMs failed or started failing? Sounds like it... When they die they won't rewrite.
how would I go about checking SIMMs?
I'm gonna guess it is a simm too after seeing that it let's me write 2nd impact, and just doesnt got the juice from one simm to get to 3rd strike?

Seems weird though ,I was able to get 3rd strike to write after 2 tries but now it wont

Here is a picture of a simm check when I got 2nd impact to load

http://imgur.com/gallery/0SmVqaL

Last edited:
Are you using a CD drive or scsi2sd?

Could be a failing drive. Especially if you are using CD-Rs the drive can have trouble reading it.

Could be a failing drive. Especially if you are using CD-Rs the drive can have trouble reading it.
I added a SIMM check picture in the original post, does that help verify whether it's a simm or not?

I'm no pro, but I don't believe SIMMs can be verified as good/bad before they are written/CRC checked.
Do any CPS3 (or otherwise) verification tools exist? Like for example "bad block" checkers that can be run on a NAND?

If it was me, I would just order a SD2SCSI device and replace that potentially faulty disc/and or disc drive...
Then try to write the game again once replaced (hell I'd do this anyway because disc drives suck).

If it freezes in the same exact spot (33/34%) then maybe move a few of the SIMMs around try again, see if it still hangs in the same exact spot.

Also on a Darksoft multi SIMM 1 is always reported as bad (CRC hasn't been patched) but all other SIMMs should check out...
s9o0DPs.jpg

In your screen shot SIMM2 is also bad, and the failure is around 30% mark.
I suspect something strange with SIMM2. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Simm 2 will also test bad. 1 and 2 hold the program data which will not pass the crc check. Not all games use simm 2 though.
before I read any of the replies on this, I tried switching simm 1 and 2 . Is there a reason why that didnt work? But if I switch them back , 2nd impact loads?

I was gonna try and rewrite one more time , but I wont be home long enough to turn it off if it gets stuck at 34% again. I gotta go to work :/

What are the current options if the 5.0b scsi2sd is sold out?

Any of you guys know how to copy the CDs that go into the CD Drive? I want to try and copy the cd I have in there. Reason for copying is, it has 4rd strike arranged edition as revision b for 3rd strike (instead non-unblockable version).

Side note: I was able to get 3rd strike to finally boot after a few more attempts. Me being me, I wanted to try and rewrite for 4rd strike so I can mess around. But now its stuck at the 32% spot again? I'm guessing this is a cd drive fault or maybe I need to remake the cd because it's hard for it to read.

I knew this wouldnt work, but I tried just putting the cd in my pc and copying the files then putting on a cd. But it didnt work, so any solutions to that ?

Below the link for a new version of the CD for standard Cartridges. The whole CD is the same as the previous release which fixed Warzard but I have included that hacked version called 4th Strike. In order to load this game you have to choose the 2nd version of 3rd Strike.

mediafire.com/download/a5hty7e…andard_SH2_V4th+Strike.7z
Use the IMGBurn software (best/free) to write this, which BTW you could have also use IMGBurn to make a ISO/CCD of the existing disc and then burn that image (but I wouldn't, just stick with DS's known working release above your disc may contain bit rot).

No haha you can't just copy raw files with something like Windows explorer, you need original/valid disc geometry (sector/toc/sub).

Also just for the record... 4th Strike is broken/shitty!
You can play as Gill, and yes you can even perform his "resurrection" super move (ain't that some bull shit).
latest

Last edited by a moderator:
@jassin000
yea i know its shitty lol, i like to play it for a change, i also started streaming a little bit from my cab and wanted to stream some 4th strike!
im gonna try and make the CD right now and see how that goes.

Edit: Weird lol, i made the cd and now it seems to boot slower and the timer for how long it takes to write the game hasnt changed. Just the percent changed and very slowly at that lol

Last edited:
What are the current options if the 5.0b scsi2sd is sold out?
Get a 5.1 and hope that it works.
what about this one? 5.0a
https://www.itead.cc/scsi2sd.html

i already have a 5.0b, im just trying to help other people out.
Yes that one will work. However, just know that the site you listed is based out of China and it'll take a while to receive the product. The last time I ordered from them it was held by customs for a month. You might have a different experience, but I wanted to just warn you about it before you order anything from them.

idk if it's the cd drive, I'll replace it when it finally goes . But for now it seems to load all the games on the board except! For 4s (3s revision b) what is up with this darn thing.

A friend suggest it's the power supply. He suggest I try using my friends cab and re write there, but I dont see why it would load other games except for 4s. Why would using another cabs power supply change the results?

It's doing you a favor by not allowing to play such a bad version of the game :)

Last edited:
Back