What's new

mathewbeall

Champion
Reaction score
Howdy - does anyone have any experience with someone doing a color calibration on a Sony PVM in Southern California? I think mine is off a bit and would like to throw some money at someone to get it all calibrated.

Thanks,

I believe the guys name is savon pat and he's in the Huntington Beach area. He used to work for Sony and is a genius when it comes to knowledge about Sony pvms and bvms. I'm not sure if he offers a calibration service(probably does) and if not I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction. You can contact him through eBay, I can't find his phone number atm. Hope he gets you dialed in.

I believe the guys name is savon pat and he's in the Huntington Beach area. He used to work for Sony and is a genius when it comes to knowledge about Sony pvms and bvms. I'm not sure if he offers a calibration service(probably does) and if not I'm sure he'd be able to point you in the right direction. You can contact him through eBay, I can't find his phone number atm. Hope he gets you dialed in.
Ebay seller: firstvideo ?

Ebay seller: firstvideo ?
Savon_pat from memory, be prepared to throw a lot of money towards him for his services though

EDIT: here it is;
https://www.ebay.com/usr/savon-pat

His experience may be invaluable but his cap kit quality leaves much to be desired. Expect chinamanese brands should you buy one of his cap kits. From what I see he just provides certain caps for "problematic" areas vs recapping the whole thing.

Thanks all - don’t need anything recapped - just calibrated... the green’s seem a bit off to me and I suck at color calibration.

I sent him a note - I will post my experience here if I end up using him.
You might want to test your luck in the service menu first.

I'm not sure which model of PVM you have, but this may give you some insight into color and geometry calibration:

His experience may be invaluable but his cap kit quality leaves much to be desired. Expect chinamanese brands should you buy one of his cap kits. From what I see he just provides certain caps for "problematic" areas vs recapping the whole thing.
Agreed - I ordered one of Savon Pat's cap kits and it was a total ripoff. Only a handful of the "most commonly failed" cheap Chinese caps for $50. He's damaging his reputation by selling those cap kits - I don't know why he does.

Agreed - I ordered one of Savon Pat's cap kits and it was a total ripoff. Only a handful of the "most commonly failed" cheap Chinese caps for $50. He's damaging his reputation by selling those cap kits - I don't know why he does.
I bought a capkit from him as well. For the price he charges, he should definitely be willing to spend a little extra to get quality caps. People will defend by saying his new caps exceed the stock ones. Sure, maybe ESR and voltage is better, but it'd be nice having something of quality as well.

That said, one of the things you "get" with a capkit is a phone call (or more if you need) with him to help calibrate the monitor as well. If you know almost nothing about doing so, the call can be very helpful. But if you have experience calibrating, probably not necessary.

Several of his parts listing for cap kits are floating around online. Can use those and buy your own caps for cheaper.

I ran my monitor over to his place and had a good hour long session with him where he calibrated my PVM and showed me how to do everything so I wouldn't need his help unless something crazy happened - he also said he was more than happy to walk me through things on the phone.

All in all - good experience for me! and my PVM is looking picture perfect now.

Matt

Back