What's new

Cereth

Enlightened
Reaction score
I'm converting a FastIO equipped cab back to JVS. It is a SQ, for all intents and purposes a Vewlix inside. I've removed the harness going to the FastIO and installed a ribbon cable to a SEGA Type 3 JVS IO. Input works in a TTX Multi menu, but games don't successfully boot, just return to menu before doing anything. I haven't had a chance to try other JVS boards in the cab and probably won't get a chance. I have two of the same cab that came with JVS already, with what appears to be the same IO and wiring layout. Any ideas why it wouldn't be working with any games?

Huh? I don't remember seeing anything like that in the ones that already work. Do you mean on the 60-pin?

Again it works in multi menu but no games boot, like its throwing an error or something before it can even give me an IO error

yeah, the Sega Type 1 and 3 need the "enable" pin jumped for them to function properly.

it could also be a coin counter error. if you don't have coin counters hooked up to the JVS IO a lot of games wont boot unless it's getting a feedback signal (which can spoofed by wiring a resistor in place of the coin counter.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what needs to be done on this. I kind of doubt it's coin counter. Everything else if I remember correctly is the same as the JVS ready cabs I have.

io_naomi_jvs.gif

One of the "EXV+" pins on the big 60 pin connector needs to be tied to 5V to enable inputs on the JVS IO.

a lot of io boards spoof the IO counter connection for you if none is attached but these Sega IOs don't.

From that post I linked to;

“He also gave me the advice to loop pins 1 & 3 seeing as it's not in a Sega cabinet. Otherwise, the game boots, I/O shows a fine, but none of the controls work.“

On the 60 pin header

pin 1 (EXV+)
pin 3 (+5v)

I’m not saying that is your issue, but it’s i the first thing I thought of.

I might be facing an entirely different problem, but I'm about to head out for the week. Will report back if its what I think it is.

Alright, it was kind of what I was thinking. Turns out both HDDs I used did.....something at Genesis and came back putting out weird resolutions and not booting anything. Burned new HDDs, everything was just plug and play as expected. Consider this a wrap!

Glad you got it sorted man. You've had a wild ride the last few weeks with issues!

I'm just getting started! Doing this as a job has forced me to tap resources more instead of figuring things out myself.

Well, I'm following along and am rooting for you.

I'd love to sync up on that front sometime you. Currently trying to cross pollinate my current career with arcade shit. '@finisterre and I took a few cabinets to an infosec conference last fall, and trying to line a few up for this year. Any tips or insight would be appreciated.

One of the "EXV+" pins on the big 60 pin connector needs to be tied to 5V to enable inputs on the JVS IO.

a lot of io boards spoof the IO counter connection for you if none is attached but these Sega IOs don't.
Just want to say thanks for this. My new Vewlixes from Cereth came with Fast I/Os so I made an adapter but couldn't figure out why my Sega type 1 JVS I/O wasn't working. Once I jumped pins 1/3 it worked just fine.

Interesting to know, I didn't have to do it with my SQs when I converted it back. I'll pass this information along if anyone else picking up Vewlixes need to do it. I think at leas 4 of the cabs coming next time have FastIO

Check your wiring to see if you've got all of the 5V lines tied together; that would likely explain it.

Back