What's new

Solmin

Professional
Reaction score
I bought this as a pair with the goal of fixing it to use. One is supposed be Black Dragon and the other Black Tiger, the seller also threw in a 1943 board for parts. I noticed that these do not have the notch in them but they have the Capcom logo on them. Supposedly these boot up and have some graphical glitches.
Does anyone know if these are bootleg copies?

thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    691.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    759 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    659.4 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    723.1 KB · Views: 281
My authentic Black Tiger has a large Capcom custom chip along the edge of the board. I don’t see it on the pics you posted.

F603E8E1-C939-4235-89E5-4101887101A6.jpeg

@ShootTheCore does it have the notch in the Jamma edge? I believe that Capcom piece is a cover for the encryption chips. Not sure though.

My black tiger also has the big black block. Yes to the notch.

Appreciate it, guess I got couple bootlegs. Thanks guys! I’ll see what I can do to fix as it’s still a good learning opportunity.

The big black module embeds the sound CPU, RAM and some logic (TTL). I've reproduced it as it fails quite often:

Capcom 85H001 (sound module) reproduction

@Solmin, yes they are well known bootlegs that have the peculiarity to even have the Capcom logo on the silkscreen.
However:
- sound module is absent (well, replaced by a standard Z80, 6116 RAM and PAL chips for the logic)
- no notch on the JAMMA edge connector
- no Capcom stickers on the EPROMs
- no heatsink on the audio amp
- cheap parts used
- no MCU (original boards are protected)
- etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would repairs be the same kind of process though? @Apocalypse . I guess the problem with bootlegs is the non-standard parts and guessing work?

Would repairs be the same kind of process though? @Apocalypse . I guess the problem with bootlegs is the non-standard parts and guessing work?
There's nothing wrong with bootlegs, parts are standard. Chances of a successful repair is actually higher with bootlegs since customs chips are often replaced by standard parts.
I just don't repair bootlegs because they're not worth my time. I strictly avoid them anyway, I like original hardware. I was lucky enough to enter the hobby at a time original boards were actually cheaper than what bootlegs go for today. (On the other side it also means I'm getting old ;( ).
Of course I've sold a lot of my boards but I've kept a few I couldn't afford now.

Back