What's new

winteriscoming

Champion
Reaction score
I received a CPS2 and multi-kit today from another forum member.

The CPS2 was Marvel Superheroes. It had no battery and did nothing when I plugged it into one of my cabs.

I installed the kit. It has an F Pal and I installed a wire from the pin on it to the one on the multi.

I also installed wires for key writing.

I wasn't sure which firmware was on it, so placed the file from one of Darksoft's post about the newer key writing FW onto the SD. When booting it seemed to take a while. I assume it was flashing. I did NOT have the key writing wires installed prior to that.

Visually inspecting the installation, I'm not noticing any issues with the pins.

At the moment I'm plugging the B board without a case into A. The connections seem pretty secure.

The LCD comes on and browses through the games. I have the set linked in the smokemonster thread. I select a game and I get a greenish screen with thin diagonal lines while flashing, and when it's finished, I get a grayish blue screen with thick stepped diagonal black lines.

I hear no sounds.

I measure 5v at the JAMMA connector coming into the board when it's powered on.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention jumpers. I believe they're all set correctly, but I'll double check. I only had to make changes in the 3rd bank of switches. Others were as needed already, IIRC.

Last edited:
1550026643113547.jpg

This is what it looks like after flashing.

I double checked jumpers, removed and re-installed all boards from the multi kit. I still get the same behavior.

I'll try a different microSD card. I saw a recommendation for Samsung Class 4, but those don't seem to be readily available. Is there a card available on Amazon that are proven successful? I ordered a Samsung card, but assume the class is higher than 4 and I'm not sure if that's supported.

My current card I'm using is a class 4, but it's a generic brand, IIRC.

Another suspicious area of troubleshooting is my JAMMA harness. The only JAMMA cab I have is a light gun cab that I purchased with Area51 installed. The harness successfully powers that, an Atomiswave, a PGM and a couple others. I'm using it to test boards, but obviously am lacking controls.

Anyway, I noticed that one of the ground pins and one 5v pin are unpopulated. Perhaps the CPS2 is not getting enough power due to unpopulated power pins on the harness? I've got a better harness on order from Twisted Quarter that will hopefully address this area of concern.

No luck with encrypted or encrypted romsets.

I think the green I was seeing when flashing was due to monitor settings. I now see a black screen when flashing, and when it's done it resets and I see the bars as pictured above.

Do you have another B-board to try the multi with. I had a similar issue and it ended up being an issue with my b-board.

I don't. This is my first and only CPS2 set.

Edit: actually I did just order another B board, so we'll see.

Last edited:
It could be the custom chip on the b-board that is bad. I had that issue. Test on the new b-board and see what happens. You should also post some pics of your current setup so that we can see it.

I double checked jumpers
Is this your first CPS2 Multi Kit?

If so, just an FYI, some of the jumpers are bridged by traces from the factory... not solder, so you'll see the two half circles with a tiny hair-line traces connecting them and you'll need to cut that trace if the jumper is supposed to be disconnected. It's best to double check jumpers by actually metering them out because even a cut-trace could still be making some contact if it wasn't cut deep enough.

I see this trip up a lot of people the first time they install a kit as this often looks like an open jumper on first glance due to the lack of solder.

It is my first CPS2 and my first multi for it.

I have cut traces where needed and soldered together the jumpers per the instructions, and tested all with my multimeter. I even went back to all cut traces and dug them in a little deeper, even though they already registered as open.

I have the F Pal and lifted pin 7 and wired it to the pin on the multi.

For the record: it was an unused multi kit from Paradise Arcade. I received it in the original sealed mailed package, inside a larger package with the CPS2 from someone who hadn't opened it. I just wanted to make sure no one's under the impression it was a used damaged multi.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics.

I received a JNX adapter today to play JAMMA in my MVS-wired cab. I tried the CPS2 on it, and get similar results to what I had before. The resulting screen after flashing/reset doesn't look the same, but it's still stuck at that point.

I'll hopefully get my other B board next week. I hope it's not the A board that's bad, but I know so little about these boards at this point, that I'm not sure how to troubleshoot beyond having an entire 2nd set that works to swap between.

Edit: In case it's not obvious - both A and B boards are removed from their casing.

Attachments

• 1550155749067997.jpg
    1550155749067997.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 1550169008975356.jpg
    1550169008975356.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 1550169009591982.jpg
    1550169009591982.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 1550169008343319.jpg
    1550169008343319.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Is the small bridge board pressed down securely? It's hard to tell in your photo, but it looks like it may not be seated down onto the pins sufficiently.

Is the small bridge board pressed down securely? It's hard to tell in your photo, but it looks like it may not be seated down onto the pins sufficiently.
It did need to be pushed in a bit more after the most recent re-installation attempt, but the issue remains even after ensuring it's seated all the way down.

Let's see how it behaves with the new B board then. Your installation looks correct from what you've described and what I see in the photos. You may have had a bad B board to start with.

The new B board showed up today. It's a working Marvel Superheroes. However, unfortunately, it's a rev 3 and CN6 is unpopulated. I don't mind the extra steps for the rev3, but I'll have to get CN6 populated before I can test the kit.

Anyway, since the new B board works, I have ruled out a bad A board.

Last edited:
I tried the suicide test rom in my original B board, and it displays the test on the screen. It indicates there's a sound issue. I'll have to dig into that more later. However, I'm not sure what to make of this if the B board will work with that test rom and doesn't with the multi...

Back