What's new
I have a problem with obsessing over issues until I fix them... so I just couldn't shelve this yet.

Anyway, so previously I proved that the CPS2 works with my CGA to VGA converter, and it looked like I was merely having a sync issues with my attempts at displaying on a CRT.

Derp, how about I try adjusting horizontal hold on the CRT? The signal locks on perfectly now every time! Maybe the h-hold pot was sitting right at the edge of acceptable for CPS2, and sometimes locked on. I don't know... anyway, it seems my CPS2 boards are fine and video issues were a monitor adjustment issue.

I'll have to see about getting it to sync in my MVS cab with JAMMA adapter, because this is the only cab I have on hand to be able to play anything at the moment (albeit limited to 4 buttons).

At this point I've got a working multi for decrypted roms, and the resetting seems fine. It's the attempts at running encrypted roms that fail now, making me think the key-writing isn't working. I guess I'll check the wiring, but if I can't figure this one out, I guess I'll just stick with decrypted roms.

yup for key writing you really need 3 things
1. Wiring
2. The key files in your game folders
3. The right firmware.

You bought this multi used right? Is it possible that it's old enough that it need the firmware updated with the tool?

It was an unused, sealed box multi with a packing slip from Paradise Arcade of 2/22/2018. Even if it wasn't needed, I did update the firmware with a file from darksoft's sticky thread about keywriting.

I assume the firmware is up to date because the resetting is working with the updated wiring config and the LCD displays that it's writing key files.

The rollup pack I have has key files.

So I'm not sure what else to check other than wiring and making sure I didn't bridge anything nearby.

sounds like the firmware and files are good so then just double check the wiring.

I think I've heard of some b boards that wont take a reflashes of the key so maybe your security chip is too far gone?

X/ I feel dumb, but one of the wires for flashing had no continuity to the crimped-on pin... I clipped that off and re-crimped, and I'm in business loading encrypted roms now!

So in all of this, I'm honestly not sure what got the kit to a point where it was booting decrypted roms. I did apparently have the video sync issue the entire time, but I'm pretty sure no games were booting during initial tests. Perhaps enough removals and re-installations of the kit resulted in good contact all around.

Anyway, my only advice to those who come after and maybe experience similar result is:
1. Check monitor settings to see if it's as simple as adjusting the monitor. In my case, the fact that I wasn't getting a solid colored screen was the indicator. Had the video been synced properly, it appears that the screen would have been solid light blue in the suicide state and/or in the state where the multi doesn't have a game loaded.
2. Check continuity on the 4 installed wires for flashing/resetting.

Thanks everyone for the help! I definitely got frustrated and about rage quit, and I even needlessly purchased another B-board, but I got there in the end. :thumbsup:

Nice work!

Plus, more good news is that you won't have any trouble selling the other B board if you don't want a spare.

The CPS2 was scrolling vertically on the monitor in my MVS cab. How about I adjust vertical hold?

I now have a stable image in that cab, so I can at least play the games that require 4 or less buttons now. :thumbsup:

i just read your thread - thank god it finally works.

I think pretty much everybody knows the feeling that you want to throw the stupid thing because you don' get it to work

Enjoy your multi :thumbsup:

Back